Elk unit 1 vs 24

desperatehills

Very Active Member
I am curious what you guys think. My wife and I are going to retire next year and we will start burning the points we have built up. We started one year too late so we are one under max. Doing my research there is plenty of information on unit 24 but very little on unit 1. We can only eat one elk a year so we will take turns and hunt a unit in back to back years. We would like to hunt branch bulls but they do not have to be monsters, nothing wrong with 280" 6 points. We would like to day hunt from a base camp (trailer). We are in OK shape for our age but really do not want to kill a elk more than a mile from the truck.

Having said all that I would love to know your thoughts. We will bowhunt first then rifle hunt. Unit 1 has a two week gap between seasons. My wife would like to see some of South Dakota anyway so that is not to big a deal. I think both bow hunts would be enjoyable but the rifle hunt in 24 can get pretty crowded. Unit 1 is a small unit, how crowded does it feel during the rifle season. Thanks in advance

I'm interested at using my points as well, and it looks like unit 1 had 41% kill for elk in 2019, which seems a little low compared to alot of other Wyomining units. I want to hunt Pheasants in S.D. and then Elk, i'm in good shape and have a SXS if i need it to get the meat out, i don't need to kill a monster but am more of a meat hunter. What is the terrain like for hiking,and would i have to haul my SXS if i don't need to. would it be better to go opening week, or is it weather dependent. Thank you, for any help!

24 is certainly the more premium area. It is more difficult to draw. Area 1 is outstanding for branch antlered bulls during archery. The first 2 weeks of rifle season are very good. When the General deer hunt begins the elk move into South Dakota or head south into 117 private inaccessible ranches in very large herds. Area 1 is a very fun hunt and 90% public and easier to draw. If you seek higher top end bulls 24 is a more premium area.

Thanks for the advice. I am leaning towards 24. We could always head to Deadwood while Pat's Meats in Mills cuts up our bull. I am sure any hunt I pick will be great. Not because of one unit being better than another but because it will be my first hunt in retirement.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom