Elk unit for aging hunter with 5 preference points

Wyobound

I'm 65, have 5 preference points and will have 6 going into the 2022 application period.
I'm in good shape, for my age, after having a hip replacement that let me do the work needed to get my conditioning back. I was still powerlifting in competition, national champion 10 years ago, so hard work and weight are no strangers to me. I've been hunting WY for many years, but only antelope and deer, and elk kinda half hearted, which as I've learned doesn't cut it.

I have good field craft/survival skills, and am very familiar with WY's dangers. Still, I hunt alone and don't like hunting with griz. I strongly prefer DIY. I build my rifles, ammo, and do my own game processing (quartering/boning at a minimum), commonly on site.

My goal is to get a bull elk in the next three years (2022-24) before old man time catches up with me too close.

I have time on my hands and can scout when others can't, so before applying for a tag I intend to scout the area pre-season and during the season to understand movement and hunting pressure.

I am looking at areas 33 and 25, and want informed input. Also, WY doesn't have a muzzle loader season, and anyone that hunts in Co that has thoughts on a muzzle loading area with decent draw odds with no PP, I'd love to hear about it.

I have personally hunted 25 and helped my Dad and brother on a hunt there as well. I think the general tag is as good or better than unit 25. Take it for what it is worth.

I have personally hunted 25 and helped my Dad and brother on a hunt there as well. I think the general tag is as good or better than unit 25. Take it for what it is worth.
Thanks for the recommendation about a general tag. I guess that still leaves the question about where to hunt with a chance of nagging a bull before I'm too old to do it. Any thoughts? I'm trying to avoid double black diamonds with griz since I hunt by myself. The thought of laying my rifle down while I get elbow deep in elk blood leaves me a bit chilled.

Thanks for the recommendation about a general tag. I guess that still leaves the question about where to hunt with a chance of nagging a bull before I'm too old to do it. Any thoughts? I'm trying to avoid double black diamonds with griz since I hunt by myself. The thought of laying my rifle down while I get elbow deep in elk blood leaves me a bit chilled.
I would suggest you research the Wyoming and the elk forum on this site for past threads. You will find all you need.

I would suggest you research the Wyoming and the elk forum on this site for past threads. You will find all you need.
I appreciate that, but as I tried to make clear, I'm not 25, I don't have 10 years to build more preference points, and I am a DIY hunter. I have read threads suggesting getting an outfitter and going to the areas outside Yellowstone. I was specifically seeing if there was someone with experience with 25 or 33, or preferably both, with is a little of a needle in a haystack. I hope that makes sense.

I appreciate that, but as I tried to make clear, I'm not 25, I don't have 10 years to build more preference points, and I am a DIY hunter. I have read threads suggesting getting an outfitter and going to the areas outside Yellowstone. I was specifically seeing if there was someone with experience with 25 or 33, or preferably both, with is a little of a needle in a haystack. I hope that makes sense.
Yes, I read your post and understand, but thanks for making it "clear". Read my #6 post, it has nothing to do with your age, needing ten more years of points and being DIY.

I did do searches, but I can't say it answered my questions about area 25 and 33 in an A/B comparison, or where to go with zero point for muzzle loading season in CO with zero points. The search function pulls up everything with the number 25, or elk when I search for wyoming elk area 25.

WGF reports that the elk are in the lower 2/3 of the area, and that there is a permanent herd. Recognizing that I am not an elk hunter, I have no idea if they would be there during hunting season. I intend to go our this summer and scout, and take time to go again at the beginning of the rifle season to look at hunting pressure and if elk are there. I intend to do the same with 33, but I see reports of elk in the western 2/3 by WGF and then again there is an outfitter on a private range for elk in the eastern 1/3. I've read about the high hunting pressure in 33 for antelope and deer which have a coincident season, but not about elk season.

Last edited:
If you plan on going next year you can cross 25 off your list. You don't have enough preference points.

And if your 65 years old I wouldn't be point chasing. You need to look at units that you could have drawn with 4 points in 2020 because that's what you would have had in the 2020 draw.

And if your 65 years old I wouldn't be point chasing. You need to look at units that you could have drawn with 4 points in 2020 because that's what you would have had in the 2020 draw.
I have 5 PP now and will have 6 going into next year. I've looked at 25 because its a fairly bunny hill hunt compared to the double black diamonds that many areas have. 33 isn't bad either for terrain.

In 2020 nobody drew the Area 25 Type 1 Special tag with 7 points. So you were more than 3 points behind. You won't catch that in three years.

In 2020 nobody drew the Area 25 Type 1 Special tag with 7 points. So you were more than 3 points behind. You won't catch that in three years.
This is my concern. I can't say I know how bad point creep is. This is why I'm looking for options like going to CO or another state with a muzzle loader and just roll the dice in WY on a 5 pp hunt.

Its hell to get old and realize you are just out of time. 10 years ago I was young. Not so much now. It happened fast

In Wyoming you should look at General tags. I don't really know which unit to look at. But I doubt if a unit that takes 6 points is necessarily going to be any better than a General unit that takes 2.

There will be very few Colorado muzzle loading units that you can draw with 0 points. Often in Colorado muzzle loading is higher demand than 1st Rifle.

And a little advice from someone that is 69. This getting old crap doesn't get any better. You need to find you a hunt and go.

I have a deposit this year with a Wyoming outfitter. I have my application in. I have an appointment next week with an orthopedic doctor because I have hurt my back and can barely walk. We will see how this turns out.

5 PP in Wyoming is absolutely in the middle of no mans land. I would highly recommend burning your points on a general tag and doing some research on general units that come close to meeting all of your requirements. Good advice being given to go hunt now rather than waiting for a unit that is no better or worse than a general tag (which you likely won't catch up to any way).

Sorry not trying to be a downer, but it is reality. You have A LOT of options with general units that will give you what you are looking for, however, I have never been on an elk hunt in my life that is easy. You either need to have young/strong legs and back, pack animals, or both to take the sting out of the physicality of an elk hunt. Might be worth your time to look into an outfitter on a general unit, or if you feel up to it, renting some pack animals (horses or llamas) to help you out a bit with the grind.

In Wyoming you should look at General tags. I don't really know which unit to look at. But I doubt if a unit that takes 6 points is necessarily going to be any better than a General unit that takes 2.

There will be very few Colorado muzzle loading units that you can draw with 0 points. Often in Colorado muzzle loading is higher demand than 1st Rifle.

And a little advice from someone that is 69. This getting old crap doesn't get any better. You need to find you a hunt and go.

I have a deposit this year with a Wyoming outfitter. I have my application in. I have an appointment next week with an orthopedic doctor because I have hurt my back and can barely walk. We will see how this turns out.
I hear you brother. I had my left hip replaced in December because the pain was so awful I couldn't walk or even sit down, let alone sleep. I've realized time is just about up for any dream of an elk. I've done my homework and relationship building over the years so that I have private land antelope and deer areas to hunt that I can get to and use my ATV to get them out. I was hunting Elk 9 for cow/calf but the pine beetles made it a quagmire of dead fall. Now I think I need to find a desert or less challenging terrain and find that needle in the haystack bull by spending more time in the field than they guys with a job. Time on my hands is the only asset I have left to work with.

5 PP in Wyoming is absolutely in the middle of no mans land. I would highly recommend burning your points on a general tag and doing some research on general units that come close to meeting all of your requirements. Good advice being given to go hunt now rather than waiting for a unit that is no better or worse than a general tag (which you likely won't catch up to any way).

Sorry not trying to be a downer, but it is reality. You have A LOT of options with general units that will give you what you are looking for, however, I have never been on an elk hunt in my life that is easy. You either need to have young/strong legs and back, pack animals, or both to take the sting out of the physicality of an elk hunt. Might be worth your time to look into an outfitter on a general unit, or if you feel up to it, renting some pack animals (horses or llamas) to help you out a bit with the grind.
Reality is what I need to hear. The reason I'm on this site, with this question, is that I have largely come to the same conclusion. I have never studies the general licenses and know that some areas are in and some are out. I need to study the areas that are in, pick one or two, and scout the heck out of them this year and next before the season. After the next few seasons, I'm probably going to be confined to deer and antelope.

I would recommend either partnering up with someone on a general diy or go guided. 3 points should get you a tag and allow a couple points for your partner.

Check out the list of general areas on G&F website, hunt planner, not all are bear infested. Make some calls to G&F and biologist of the areas your interested in. They provide a ton of info.

Also grizzly or not you better be in dam good shape packing out an elk solo.

Thanks. I think that's great advice. I have a young man, 28, that I just agreed to let hunt a farm I own for whitetail, and he'd fall over himself to have me take him hunt Wyoming.

You might consider using those points to get a cow tag or spike-only tag in a unit like 100 or 32. Units that require max points or lots of luck to draw bull tag but not too difficult to get other tags.

You might consider using those points to get a cow tag or spike-only tag in a unit like 100 or 32. Units that require max points or lots of luck to draw bull tag but not too difficult to get other tags.
You've got me thinking that may be a good option.

Getting older is about losing options. I'm not the athlete I was 10 years ago. Perhaps instead of a 5x5 or 4x4, a spike will suffice. Any elk is better than no elk.

When I go to Canada, my Cree guides would say, if you can't shoot a moose by the water or a road, don't shoot him. That's gonna be where I'm at in another 10 years, hopefully not sooner.

The nice thing about wyo general tags is you could archery hunt, hunt late sept rifle openers, oct 1 openers, oct 15th openers. I don't know anyone personally that has done that but in theory you could hunt multiple units of you needed too. I am excited to have the general tag as a resident in 2021 if I don't draw a tough first choice.

Actually, that idea is eye opening. My asset is time on my hands. I can scout all this summer and fall, and next summer, and then go to WY and stay until I get an elk or the season ends. And there is no doubt that hitting the first day or so of a season is the easiest.

If your greatest asset is time and you would be happy with any bull, why wait for a harder to draw limited quota area? There are plenty of general season areas in western Wyoming that you can use a truck or ATV to get near elk spots that don't require hiking in the steep and deep country. What they do require is having the time to continually check those areas as elk usually move through them. If you have an unlimited amount of time to hunt, why not? After the first few days of season it usually begins to get fairly settled down and you'd be surprised how quiet it can be in the middle of the week in the middle of a season when hunters decide that walking a mile from the truck is going to kill them. I killed a bull and a cow this year in moderate terrain near major trails less than 2 miles from the truck the last week of the season. My dad is 75 and on his 2nd titanium hip in 20 yrs so I understand the challenges.

I hear you brother. I had my left hip replaced in December because the pain was so awful I couldn't walk or even sit down, let alone sleep. I've realized time is just about up for any dream of an elk.
I'm a candidate for hip surgury. I sent you a PM. Thanks Bill

If your greatest asset is time and you would be happy with any bull, why wait for a harder to draw limited quota area? There are plenty of general season areas in western Wyoming that you can use a truck or ATV to get near elk spots that don't require hiking in the steep and deep country. What they do require is having the time to continually check those areas as elk usually move through them. If you have an unlimited amount of time to hunt, why not? After the first few days of season it usually begins to get fairly settled down and you'd be surprised how quiet it can be in the middle of the week in the middle of a season when hunters decide that walking a mile from the truck is going to kill them. I killed a bull and a cow this year in moderate terrain near major trails less than 2 miles from the truck the last week of the season. My dad is 75 and on his 2nd titanium hip in 20 yrs so I understand the challenges.
I think this is a great suggestion. I am not much of an elk hunter, and its not obvious that elk move so much. I hunt antelope and deer in WY, and their movement mirrors water availability in a dry year, but otherwise they are mostly, within a couple three miles, where you last saw them unless pushed.

I have hunted western Wyoming general elk hunts about a dozen times over the last 30 years. One thing to keep in mind is they mostly start Oct 1-15 range. In that country, it has been my experience snow is fairly likely (50-50 chance). One year I got a cow in 18" of the fluffy stuff. BTW- snow is a huge help in getting elk moving around and obviously for tracking. But it can make the hiking more strenuous. Another thing to consider is that some folks will pack one out on horse for a fee. We always had somebody willing to let Dad (local resident) have one for a nominal amount, just in case. I think 90% of those general hunts are in Griz country tho. It's just the way of things now. Lastly- I'm not sure but some of those hunts may be in wilderness- and I believe they require the use of a guide if you are non-resident.

This is my concern. I can't say I know how bad point creep is. This is why I'm looking for options like going to CO or another state with a muzzle loader and just roll the dice in WY on a 5 pp hunt.

Its hell to get old and realize you are just out of time. 10 years ago I was young. Not so much now. It happened fast
Well I’m 68 and planning hunts for the next ten years. Recommend you think young not old

I agree with tracker, I’m 62 have a ham string ripped off my butt and is down in my thigh and I need a new knee on the other leg. I still drag myself up into the woods and hunt. You are not that old and you keep saying you have time to scout, a little research and you will have a great time and kill a Bull. I’m sorry I am not up on general tags

Lots of elk licenses in this years quotas. Try for a cow tag in an area you could come back with a general tag and hunt the next year.
Heck the mountains have easy elk hunting if you look around.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom