Elk Wallow from Last Year?

Bwht4x4

Very Active Member
What do folks think? Are these muddy spots elk wallows from last year? The picts were taken last weekend and they're clearly not wallowing yet this year, but they look like they could have been made last year.

47042013-07-19_14.16.07.jpg

53812013-07-19_12.18.08.jpg

without a doubt they are wallows from previous years. They don't always use the same wallows from year to year but it seems like bulls just can't pass up a good mudhole.

I'd agree that they look like wallows to me. I'm hoping they use the same wallows as last year cause I'll be sitting on one ready to shoot em.

We have a place in Colorado where the elk seem to use the same wallow every year.Our group has muzzleloader hunted the area 3 times now with 3 bulls taken off the same wallow.
Looks good to me !Definately worth watching.

It all depends on the area and how much water you've got around, but that is definitely a great candidate for an excellent wallow. If it's a dry area, that may be a honey hole in a month.

Vi Et Armis Invictus Maneo

>It all depends on the area
>and how much water you've
>got around, but that is
>definitely a great candidate for
>an excellent wallow. If it's
>a dry area, that may
>be a honey hole in
>a month.
>
>Vi Et Armis Invictus Maneo

The water in the area is limited to small pockets such as this. Where there is water it flows across the surface and rocks and creates small meadows. In both areas there was a mud hole like these. Between the waterholes is quite dry though. On my next scouting trip I'm going to remove the dead sticks and logs from the one potential wallow to ensure any bull can get in there and do his thing. I've also got a trail cam set up on each of them to see what shows up to wallow.

Those look like wallows for sure from previous years. I bet as it gets later in the year the bulls will be in them thick wallowing. Looks like a good couple spots to sit and watch.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom