ELK!!!!

whtelk

I am a bow hunter but also cross over with a rifle. I am competent with both weapons so it all depends on what I want to shoot. I am looking for the best chance for my 12 year old son to get his first elk. He will shoot a rifle, no bow just yet. Doesnt matter if it is a cow hunt or any elk just want him to get a good chance at one. Also going to try and get him a youth deer tag, any suggestions would be great. By the way we are Native born and raised country boy Oregonians from a small west side town here. Been right here for 47 years.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-07 AT 10:03PM (MST)[p]Try for the 224T2 Ash Valley youth hunt. 36% draw with zero points and 100% with 1 point. 100% success on antlerless elk. 70% public land with a month to hunt.

The best youth hunt by far is the 675T Interstate Unit. Mule deer in the rut.

Both the rogue and south umpqua youth cow tags are good tags. You have a fair chance to draw the south umpqua youth cow tag with no points. As for deer the Interstate youth tag is a good tag that is in the middle of November, however it will take four year or so to draw but the wait is worth it. I had the tag in 2000 and killed a 29" buck. Another decent tag that is much easier to draw is the North Warner youth deer tag as well. Good luck.

I bow hunt the Ochoco unit every year so I know that unit pretty good. Might put him in there. I hunt the Santiam also but the youth hunt is after every season possible for elk and they get pushed into the thick jungle by then.

Back
Top Bottom