Elks 1 under max best option

elks96

Long Time Member
Next year 2020 I need to use all my WY points up. I know exactly where I am antelope hunting. No deer points. But I have no idea what to do with my 1 under max elk.

I am an archery hunter so a type 9 is not out of the question if it really gives me a better tag. By the time the 2020 season rolls around I will be living in Lander WY. So closer to Lander is better but not needed. I want a good solid hunt. Never have had a limited elk tag. Always OTC Colorado. So anything noticeably better than OTC CO will make me happy. Biggest bull not a huge factor, but good country with lots of access and low hunting pressure is better.

I will consider anything that is 100% draw with one under. Do not want a general tag as the following year I will be a resident so want my points to get me something at least a little unique.

LAST EDITED ON May-28-19 AT 11:14AM (MST)[p]Do you want to play with Grizzlies or not?

24 to be close to Lander and archery hunt it and come back for rifle....could do the same on 16-2 but further drive for sure....you have lots of options!

What happens if you don't draw?

He will lose his points if he doesn't draw when he becomes a resident.

I wonder if you become a resident after the draw could you still hunt wilderness areas even though you have a nonresident tag? Maybe someone in the know could answer this, but if you could then I'd be looking 61 or 62.

>61 wouldn't be worth it unless
>you would want to hire
>an outfitter it is basically
>all wilderness.

Yeah that's why I said IF he could hunt the wilderness once he is a resident. Draws the tag as a NR and officially becomes a resident later that summer.

Last I checked wilderness is available as soon as he gains resident status, regardless of what his tag says.

>Last I checked wilderness is available
>as soon as he gains
>resident status, regardless of what
>his tag says.

Even if, a guy better have access to a solid string of horses/mules. It's a fair ride to get into that that country.

I've got the 16-2 tag this year and will be hunting archery and if needed rifle in Nov. Feel free to hit me up after the season

Very interested in this line of discussion. I'm in the same boat. One PP under max. And at 63, I'm running out of runway. I've got to use these points next year! Thanks to all who contributed!

Mackey

>I agree that 24 is what
>you are looking for.

Anybody know any good outfitters in area 24? Thanks.

Mackey

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom