Encouragement Senior Cow Hunt

10Bears

Has anyone ever tried to buy one of these. I'm guessing the good units sell out in minutes. Or is there even any left after the youth hunts go on sale. I was wondering where you go about buying these on the web site

Game and Fish will e-mail this information to those who applied and were unsuccessful this year.
Might want to contact G and F!

Youth tags go on sale July 14th senior tags July 28. I had one last year and it was difficult to find some cows, but finally did on the 4th morning. It snowed so that helped. Don't know about all units but in mine there are always some left after the kids are done, get online early, last year it started at 10:00 am. GL
I never draw anything anymore so it's my only option.

These don't sell nearly as fast as the leftover tags. The second wave of sales sometimes still hold some good units.

Some BS going on this year, 53 was sold out by the time us seniors got a chance, that means 120 kids got all the tags...... impossible.....

At some point NMDGF will probably have to go to a second draw for these enhancement tags, because the first come first served is only accessible to those with time to sit at the computer and fast internet speed...and a little luck.

At some point NMDGF will probably have to go to a second draw for these enhancement tags, because the first come first served is only accessible to those with time to sit at the computer and fast internet speed...and a little luck.
I think the cheaters have figured it out, Put all 10 kids in for hunts that have no chance of drawing. Then you have two weeks to get whatever enhancement hunt you want, load the kid in the truck and go kill a cow. NMDGF needs to make some changes to these tags. There was virtually nothing left for us seniors this morning. I saw ONE MZ tag for 17 and I was on 10 minutes before the sale started. So NO TAGS went to seniors. If that's what they want just make them all for the kids.

Sorry guys, I'm having a difficult time feeling sympathy that seniors couldn't get a tag.

1st, I read posts from sourpuss crybabies on other forums, Bowsite to be exact, where they cry about special youth opportunities and that a youth should be happy with just any tag. The worst is the president of Pope and Young. Youth encouragment provide just that, a nothing special tag.

2nd, at least seniors have a shot, as remote as it may be. Us "youngsters" are **** out of luck of we don't draw. Period.

3rd, a youth has just as much right to put in for premium tags as old guys. Maybe a point system ain't so bad aftertall...

If we want hunting to continue being a thing for us, we have got to quit blaming youth hunters when we don't draw a tag. I blame the likes of social media blabbermouths telling the world to put in for NM.

Sorry guys, I'm having a difficult time feeling sympathy that seniors couldn't get a tag.

1st, I read posts from sourpuss crybabies on other forums, Bowsite to be exact, where they cry about special youth opportunities and that a youth should be happy with just any tag. The worst is the president of Pope and Young. Youth encouragment provide just that, a nothing special tag.

2nd, at least seniors have a shot, as remote as it may be. Us "youngsters" are **** out of luck of we don't draw. Period.

3rd, a youth has just as much right to put in for premium tags as old guys. Maybe a point system ain't so bad aftertall...

If we want hunting to continue being a thing for us, we have got to quit blaming youth hunters when we don't draw a tag. I blame the likes of social media blabbermouths telling the world to put in for NM.
I'm the first person to promote youth tags, my kids got some very good ones back in the day. BUT the 'Encouragement' system is being abused. Either split it up Youth/ Senior or give them all to the kids. What we have now is not working so let's fix it. I NEVER blamed youths I blame their parents for gaming the system, RR how many "Youths' actually applied for these hunts ? NONE it was their parents. Social Media 'blabbermouths' have no effect because you can only apply if not drawn in the general draw. RR I think you have missed the whole point of this tread, it's not blaming the kids, I wish they all could get a tag. But here in northern NM its the parents doing the hunting not the kids. And the sad part is everyone knows this but does nothing about it.

I'm the first person to promote youth tags, my kids got some very good ones back in the day. BUT the 'Encouragement' system is being abused. Either split it up Youth/ Senior or give them all to the kids. What we have now is not working so let's fix it. I NEVER blamed youths I blame their parents for gaming the system, RR how many "Youths' actually applied for these hunts ? NONE it was their parents. Social Media 'blabbermouths' have no effect because you can only apply if not drawn in the general draw. RR I think you have missed the whole point of this tread, it's not blaming the kids, I wish they all could get a tag. But here in northern NM its the parents doing the hunting not the kids. And the sad part is everyone knows this but does nothing about it.
Could you explain this? Are you saying the parents are applying the youth for the encouragement then hunting themselves?

Also as a whole hunting is more popular. Many parents might have extra income or time due to covid/stimulus checks. Also companies like GoHunt promoting hunts/units.

Could you explain this? Are you saying the parents are applying the youth for the encouragement then hunting themselves?

Also as a whole hunting is more popular. Many parents might have extra income or time due to covid/stimulus checks. Also companies like GoHunt promoting hunts/units.
Yes that is exactly what happens in northern NM. They also "Bow Hunt" with a 300 win. mag.

I didn't miss the point of the thread.

Seniors didn't have much of a chance because too many tags were "gobbled" up by youth hunters that did not draw in an opportunity that, until quite recently, was youth only.

The encouragement system is to keep youth hunters interested in hunting big game. It's not being abused because the people that buy up these tags want to take their kid hunting and the kid wants to go. Those parents who "really do all the hunting" on a tag a youth draws would never stoop to the level of a 3rd class hunter-citizen by shooting a cow. I know because I work, or have worked, with some.

Although the same amount of people drew tags this year as they have over the past two years, an increase in applications by 60,000 distributed these tags to people that rarely or never have applied in NM.

These encouragement tags have been a fire sale for quite some time now, before hunts like the 2B late Nov youth only hunt.

The increasing population of senior hunters that have retired over the last few years with more time on their hands have done as much to decrease odds as the social media talking heads have by telling people to apply for NM because you won't be penalized.

Yes that is exactly what happens in northern NM. They also "Bow Hunt" with a 300 win. mag.

Have been taking a youth on the encouragement hunts ever since they began and parents "do the hunting" as much as any other tag a youth holds.

Let's not dicuss the guys hunting on their spouse's tags...

Have been taking a youth on the encouragement hunts ever since they began and parents "do the hunting" as much as any other tag a youth holds.

Let's not dicuss the guys hunting on their spouse's tags...
Way to go taking youth hunting, I commend you great job.
Guys hunting with their wifes cow tag is what has happened to our once plentiful Elk herd in the north. I have personally witnessed one "Bro" shoot 5 cows and wound at least 4 more, then call the family to come tag them.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, despite the OP being perceived to sound a bit like sour grapes, I believe the only point of the thread was NMDGF recently changed the Youth Encouragement Tag system to allow Seniors to access any leftovers available after the first 2 weeks. Since there were no tags leftover the reality is there were no tags available to Seniors. So don't tout the system as being available to Seniors when it's really not.

That said, I suspect NMDGF was just as surprised as everyone else with the HUGE increase in interest/applications, so now that it's been proven virtually no tags are available after 2 weeks, the system should probably be revisited and/or changed to reflect demand.

Guys hunting with their wifes cow tag is what has happened to our once plentiful Elk herd in the north. I have personally witnessed one "Bro" shoot 5 cows and wound at least 4 more, then call the family to come tag them.
That’s pretty pitiful if happening on those tags. Did you take photos? Call the warden?

These tags have been available to seniors for the past two years. Before that they weren't. Regardless, it's still the youth encouragement opportunity.

Why NMDGF made this change is a mystery, perhaps to sell the hunts that weren't taken the first two weeks when they go on sale.

I hope NMDGF doesn't screw up a good opportunity for youth hunters by turning this into another draw for both youth AND senior hunters that did not draw in the first go-round.

NMDGF needs to go back to making it youth only again, the whole purpose is to keep kids interested in big game hunting to carry on the tradition.

Like it or not, seniors are not the ones to do that. Sorry if anyone takes it the wrong way...

Before 2 years ago it was even open to out of state hunters(youth) after the first 2 weeks. I've seen some very happy kids with their elk, including mine. In some ways it(youth encouragement) actually improves YOUR odds (marginally)if you are putting into some of the lesser desired draws. I only put my youth into the high success bull draws. Without the Youth encouragement their third choice would be a better draw opportunity.

If you KNOW people who are shooting on their kids tag and not reporting that's terrible. AND you have yourself to blame. They are taking a kids tag, not taking a kid hunting, and potentially taking your tag.

Finally who is more likley to have the $600 to buy a cow tag on the reservation? A youth or a senior?

How many more opportunities do Seniors have that Youth do not?
another thread on this forum from a senior
"Early archery. I will be down there last week of Aug. My son is riding down with my dad before the 1st. They will leave at the end of the hunt then I'm headed to AZ for an elk hunt, then a few weeks in UT before my CO hunt early Nov."
Good for him! I have no problems with him, but how many kids (or even working adults) have that kind of options? The kids you are talking about took one hunt that wasn't even an option to seniors 2 years ago. Some Seniors and others with a lot of time on their hands (and money) are taking 3-5 elk tags across multiple states. Go complain about them if you'd like.
I think really you are just having a bad day Cosmic and I'm sorry about that, but not the kids fault.

How many more opportunities do Seniors have that Youth do not?
another thread on this forum from a senior
"Early archery. I will be down there last week of Aug. My son is riding down with my dad before the 1st. They will leave at the end of the hunt then I'm headed to AZ for an elk hunt, then a few weeks in UT before my CO hunt early Nov."
Good for him! I have no problems with him, but how many kids (or even working adults) have that kind of options? The kids you are talking about took one hunt that wasn't even an option to seniors 2 years ago. Some Seniors and others with a lot of time on their hands (and money) are taking 3-5 elk tags across multiple states. Go complain about them if you'd like.
I think really you are just having a bad day Cosmic and I'm sorry about that, but not the kids fault.
LMAO I have zero 'Senior Opportunities' I haven't drawn a tag in 4 years, and that's just for a cow tag nothing special. I live on a limited income don't have 600.00 to go hunt the Rez. If I had 600.00 I would go buy a quarter beef. This was NEVER about the kids. Some people have limited comprehension skills.

LMAO I have zero 'Senior Opportunities' I haven't drawn a tag in 4 years, and that's just for a cow tag nothing special. I live on a limited income don't have 600.00 to go hunt the Rez. If I had 600.00 I would go buy a quarter beef. This was NEVER about the kids. Some people have limited comprehension skills.

I live on a limited income and haven't drawn a tag in 4 years as well without even a glimmer of hope to buy a leftover youth encouragement tag after the two week waiting period...

I know it was never about the kids. It's about the ability for a senior being able to buy a tag that was never intended to be a program for seniors in the first place, but because not all the tags are sold out, they made them available. But, when that didn't work out, it then becomes absurd that parents are hunting on their kids' tags that they shouldn't be allowed to get because the system is being abused.

Did I miss anything?

I full well know what you're talking about "up north". How can an 8 year old girl bail out of a truck and shoot an elk at 300 yds when they are too short to lean over the hood of a lifted full size truck and too short to have the rifle clear the top strand of a 3-wire fence...?

I think the cheaters have figured it out, Put all 10 kids in for hunts that have no chance of drawing. Then you have two weeks to get whatever enhancement hunt you want, load the kid in the truck and go kill a cow. NMDGF needs to make some changes to these tags. There was virtually nothing left for us seniors this morning. I saw ONE MZ tag for 17 and I was on 10 minutes before the sale started. So NO TAGS went to seniors. If that's what they want just make them all for the kids.
There was well over 100 tags available at the start of the senior sale at 10a.m. , units 13 both date , unit 17 both dates , unit 16E Dec hunt and unit 53.

Did you report him ? Either your part of the problem or part of the solution. From experience , I lost a friend/family member whos best friend was a poacher and I turned him in! I knew the risk of turning in a "bro" , he threatened me and I lost two friends because of it , and I have no regret . My buddies today know where I stand ...

There was well over 100 tags available at the start of the senior sale at 10a.m. , units 13 both date , unit 17 both dates , unit 16E Dec hunt and unit 53.
No there wasn't I was on.... there was no 53 tags a 10:00 AM, you are full of it. And there was damn sure not 100 tags left. Who's side are you on RR ? If you have "Inside Info" share it. Or stop your BS.
Already answered the question about turning in the "Bro" I did and he was related to a county deputy sheriff..... They the NMDGF did NADA. So that's how the cards fall in the north.

They started letting the seniors have a chance because tags were not being purchased in the past for many units.

Hey RR you ever lived "Up North" ? I've been here my whole life, and love it, they almost have me converted.

Yes. I used to have respect for you, not so much anymore. You now occupy the same space as hossblur, the devil and SS! by stooping to their level.

Apparently, you got triggered by not being able to get a tag on something that was never really intended for you to get...

Last edited:
Yes. I used to have respect for you, not so much anymore. You now occupy the same space as hossblur, the devil and SS! by stooping to their level.

Apparently, you got triggered by not being able to get a tag on something that was never really intended for you to get...
Well is goes both ways RR I thought you were a stand up guy, but now you are just a mouthpiece for the woke. You spout off what you think are facts but it's really just BS and deep down you know it.. If you actually had FACTS you would show us but in the end you just have flapping lips. Sad at one time I respected what you had to say. Keep flapping yer lips, and pat yourself on the back. Or provide us with FACTS.

But we all know you have no facts. Just BS..... O and did you seek counseling for losing 'Friends' over turning in a pocher ?

Last edited:
Senior Hunters still vote.
Turn them out into the cold and you will lose hunters that VOTE, just keep that thought in mind.
I don't apply for senior tags so I'm good .

Well is goes both ways RR I thought you were a stand up guy, but now you are just a mouthpiece for the woke. You spout off what you think are facts but it's really just BS and deep down you know it.. If you actually had FACTS you would show us but in the end you just have flapping lips. Sad at one time I respected what you had to say. Keep flapping yer lips, and pat yourself on the back. Or provide us with FACTS.

But we all know you have no facts. Just BS..... O and did you seek counseling for losing 'Friends' over turning in a pocher ?
You should read things more carefully. Rio is the one who reported the poacher, not RR.
And pretty sure he is with NM G&F so when he posts stuff about draws and such, he is usually spot on.

You're just mad because I don't agree with you on how you think it's unfair you didn't get a tag.

What "facts" are you even talking about? There are no "facts" as there is no data.

The real truth is you're upset because you feel you were cheated out on an opportunity that really isn't yours to begin with and have the audacity to blame a youth program on it.

Try and keep up with what you're really trying to say and I don't even know what a "pocher" is. If anyone is flapping their lips it's you...

Well guys its been a fun ride over the many years I've been here.
GL to all the many people I have helped and friends I've made.
But I'm done with the full of BS woke morons.
They have ruined another once fun place, so sad.

When you need help or advice just ask roadrunner, his vast hunting knowledge will set you on the right path.

And don't forget to shoot those extra large coyotes on sight.
Take care amigos
Jack

No there wasn't I was on.... there was no 53 tags a 10:00 AM, you are full of it. And there was damn sure not 100 tags left. Who's side are you on RR ? If you have "Inside Info" share it. Or stop your BS.
Already answered the question about turning in the "Bro" I did and he was related to a county deputy sheriff..... They the NMDGF did NADA. So that's how the cards fall in the north.
Im sorry you were not able to get a license . I am not full of it as you say , I try and share what can be shared but also have a hard time standing by when someone speaks non truths . You see Cosmic , I WORK FOR THE NMDGF , Licensing , tags etc are right in my wheel house , and I know exactly what the sale started with , EXACTLY! Your internet was TOO SLOW , and thats a you problem , not a "fix it " issue within the NMDGF . This program was designed for the youth hunters and 3 years ago the program was adjusted to allow senior hunters in and remove NR youth. As stated above , the seniors were added because in YEARS PAST, many elk encouragement hunts were remaining so the department made the decision to remove NR and add seniors. This year , the stimulus checks were received in NM approx 3 weeks before the draw deadline , thus creating more opportunity for the public hunters to enter more applications , to the tune of 63,000 addition from a record 221K in year 2020.We knew the elk encouragement would sell out , what are we to do , continue selling unlimited amounts of licenses as to not upset either the youth parents or senior hunters? That is why X amount of licenses are set aside. I wished there was a different way , maybe 50/50 split of encouragement hunts , but even then many wont get and still upset people say the dept need to "fix it"...Yeah Cosmic , I enjoy talking with ya'll , but wont share non truths , so Im afraid your mistaken , as I am full of coffee this morning but the BS lies with all the happy when things go their way and hate for the dept and when don't sportsman of this state !

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom