End region G point creep!

AAC68F82-C227-4C5D-BCDC-3EEB9E36AE9D.png

Ok so this thread really gets me thinking, comparing antelope populations to mule deer ?. Wyoming antelope populations have always been up there and should be LQ, have ya seen the terrain they live in compared to the reaches of region g and h muleys , hell even Stevie wonder could get to the antelope. And the idea nonres hunt harder than the res is absurd, the only diff is most nonres either go guided or buy locations packages or just shoot any ol buck they seen. I was once camped by a group of nonres who did well, with only 1 buck that was mature and they cleaned out that whole group of bucks that were together. I think they killed all 5 bucks that were hanging together. Had them in a small patch of trees and rest is history. Most were young and very small framed bucks but they were happy so be it. But I think most nonres will kill just to fill the tag.

Now onto the human caused stress, just don’t see that being much factor at all, antelope elk whitetails are all doing pretty good I’d say and I’ve watched the poor desert elk get chased to China and back during shed season and guess what they are over populated, antelope are around a ton of traffic every day in the oil fields hmm still doing good, so I’m guessing that humans/hunters are a very very small problem to the health of are wildlife.

My guess is that healthy does and fawns that are in great shape going into the fall is more important factor for survival than stress during the hunting season.

Healthy fawns born in a lush year when does are healthy and have plenty of milk are likely going to be in better shape than fawns born in a drought year or a year after a super tough winter. I imagine fawns may be born a little larger and healthier when does are in great shape?

I agree that stress during winter months is the critical time of the year for fawn....and mule deer survival. Ultimately, healthy summer and winter ranges play a key role in mule deer survival!

Yessss winter can be a beyatch on our wildlife!! Drought don’t help, so it’s all coming back around to as mulecreek said FOOD!! And of course everything needs water,.

Now onto the human caused stress, just don’t see that being much factor at all, antelope elk whitetails are all doing pretty good I’d say and I’ve watched the poor desert elk get chased to China and back during shed season and guess what they are over populated, antelope are around a ton of traffic every day in the oil fields hmm still doing good, so I’m guessing that humans/hunters are a very very small problem to the health of are wildlife.
“I’m guessing that humans/hunters are a very very small problem to the health of are wildlife.” Humans and human ecological impacts on the Winter Ranges are a huge problem with all of the massive energy development and infrastructure and human disruptions to wintering deer.
Wyoming Game and Fish and the Cooperative Unit have studied and documented many negative human caused effects.
”We know from previous research that mule deer avoid energy development (by up to 7km. More specifically, if human disturbance alters behavior of animals in a way that affects use of food, disturbance on winter ranges could reduce the carrying capacity (i.e., number of animals a range can support) of the landscape. Further, behaviors that alter the nutritional connection deer have with winter range may further affect populations because alterations to fat dynamics overwinter can have fitness consequences. Between March 2013 and March 2015, we fit 146 mule deer with GPS collars among three winter ranges of varying degrees of energy development. Each fall and spring (as animals arrived to and departed from winter ranges), we recaptured collared individuals to measure nutritional condition (e.g., fat reserves) and life-history characteristics (e.g., reproductive status and age).

Results:
We found that mule deer, in response to human disturbance, exhibited risk-averse behavior across multiple scales which resulted in reduced use of available food near human disturbance. These pervasive behavioral responses to human disturbance prompted indirect habitat loss that was 4.6x that of direct habitat loss. The overall habitat loss that was amplified by indirect habitat loss from behavioral avoidance reduced the carrying capacity of winter range. Thus, revealing the pathway by which human disturbance affects population abundance.”

In short, due to extensive human energy development the winter carrying capacity and over wintering capability is now significantly diminished with all of the energy development causing both nutritional and stress related problems and deficiencies. Elk in Western Wyoming have 23 feedlots to meet their nutritional needs but mule deer are not as easily susceptible to winter feeding programs though that could be researched and studied more to assess any potential capability in the future though with CWD moving into Western Wyoming managers will be careful as is prudent.

Last edited:
Ya DDMuley all us NR, especially from CA, take time away from family and work, pay high out of state tag fees, and travel across multiple states to shoot the first dink we can find from our truck.
Or spend our children’s college funds going guided. ??

49D19D67-C28E-4C29-9CF8-64572CDA9432.jpeg

56D377FB-C808-4BFD-854E-FBF578DC0C7C.jpeg

2A2283A6-D4B9-4F51-9D8E-0314321DE843.jpeg

EBB164D6-9AEA-48C4-941D-412F5912CE52.jpeg

41389E96-1A04-4351-B3A4-9295B4E615D4.jpeg

Ya DDMuley all us NR, especially from CA, take time away from family and work, pay high out of state tag fees, and travel across multiple states to shoot the first dink we can find from our truck.
Or spend our children’s college funds going guided. ??

View attachment 39289

View attachment 39290

View attachment 39291

View attachment 39292

View attachment 39293
Easily get hurt feelings? He didn’t say that at all, said MOST shoot the first animals they see, not ALL. Nice animals btw.

Too bad you’ve only hunted out of state 3 times. Or are those the only three animals that proves your point?

Last edited:
@LIK2HNT congrats on some nice critters. And yes I know it’s not just NR hunters taking out the first legal critter or lesser animals so all I’m saying is the ones that do should not be crying about quality and saying Wyo needs limited quota in region G and H. I’ll keep enjoying my time in G and H every year looking for the one or taking one if I decide to. But thanks to good ole Wyoming if I don’t decide to take a muley I can head east on my general tag and take a whitetail buck which is better eating anyway IMO. So ya you others can keep your LQ point building nonsense in your states and hunt every 20 yrs if that’s what trips your triggers and I’ll keep doing my thing in wyo and playing the out state point game in a few select states until I can get out then I’ll just keep on hunting in wyo and putting in the time to find the one instead of using my limited vaca time for other states !!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom