enufs enuf

B

bigbacks

In an attempt to calm everyone down how bout we discuss something we can all relate to like how about weird traditions of the hunt, my grandpa used to tell me that when he was a kid growing up in Oklahoma on the res. every time he killed a deer he had to eat the whole heart raw,straight from the chest cavity,he tried making me do it but I can only manage a bite,he died a few years ago so every time I kill a deer I do this to kinda honor him in a sorta strange way. Anyone else got these strange rituals?

Nope I think your the only one. You should go in for a phychiatric evaluation. Thats pretty disturbing.

That's more than a strange ritual. Do you season it at all or use any dipping sauces?

Some of you clowns ought to watch bambi and learn a few manners from thumpers mom "if you cant say something nice,don't say anything at all." that kinda bull is all over this site, back when this site was new,before all the backwood whitetrash hillbillies that have to insult whoever they can, whenever they can, to make up for shortcomings in their own life,learned how to plug in their computers,this was a nice place to visit,but now we have to many a$$holes. All the guy asked was if you had any strange rituals. You know like maybe give your first oppussum of the year to your sister as an engagement gift.

Well if you want to yank out some animals warm twiching heart and eat it raw be my guest. I for one dont think that is somethings a rational person would do. Sorry to offend anyone.
The thing that bothers me is how many antis read crap like that and believe all hunters are a bunch of demented blood thirsty crazy buggers who rip out animals still beating hearts and eat them. Thats not how I would like to be portrayed. But when it all boils down I really dont care so go for it.

The only backwoods white trash hillbilly that thinks eating warm quivering heart is sick and wrong!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-04 AT 10:42AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-04 AT 10:36 AM (MST)

Good Lord, I didn't think someone would get all worked up over this.
This post just seemed to send mixed reactions.

Coot

I've been coming to this site since it was new and never felt like posting anything. Does the fact you have 468 posts mean anything other than you like to run your mouth of fingers in this case? Of your 468 posts how many have been of the judgemental type, I bet alot.

THE ONLY ONE POSTER (TWO NOW) THAT THINKS THERE IS TOO MANY
D$%^# ON THIS WEBSITE.

Eatting a raw heart to me would be a bit scary with heart worms and other parasites that can live in the hearts cavitys you might take a risk and making yourself real sick. First thing I do after getting the heart out is throw it as far as I can. My uncle and cousins always wanted to save the heart and liver for eatting so I would chuck it therefore it was dirty enough not to bother with packing it out. :)

Who in the hell are you to be judgemental? Obviously a few heated opinions were edited and a more level headed approach was then applied. I call it as I see it.

I think it's pretty disgusting, But if it is a ritual they pursue then hey, whatever floats your canoe. If the dude likes to eat a twitching heart then by all means Bon apetit, Is that french? I think so, let me rephrase in American, Dude go for it although Excuse me if I don't join in the feast. Im not one who even takes the heart or liver. I leave it for the oter animals as in some type of conservation effort.
All joking aside, If someone has a ritual they do then by all means let em say it, short of satanic or other type stuff, I would ike to see it done though. My buddy shot his first bull several years ago and I jokingly told him He had to bite a chunk out of the heart because it was his first, HE actually did, albeit a small bite it was funny when I told him he was nuts and said I would have never done that, he had a green color about him that was just too funny not to laugh at. Good times, friendship, families, bonding, stories, kids, futures and conservation. Thats what it is about guys and girls. Hunt hard.
Bugler

This has got to be one of the funniest posts I've seen in a while. Wish I didn't miss the editing. :)

069729.gif

Nothing like a nice thread to calm everyone down. Hope huntin season hurries.

I think the only ritual I have is the constant tension of waiting for it to get here.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Can't say I have ever eaten raw heart, but we generally cook it up the day we take a deer. For those that have never tried it, you don't know what you are missing. Most tender cut in the deer.

My daughter loves heart and after she holds a leg for me to gut one she wants to carry the heart to the truck. One time after a boy cousin killed his first deer, he was kind of squimish about gutting it. However, when we finished, my daughter pipped up "can I carry the heart". Not to be outdone, and suddenly not squimish because a girl could do it, he says: "no, it is my deer, I get to carry it." Funny how getting shown up by a girl at that age (12) can do.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

EVER SEE BEAR SH!t AFTER HES BEEN EATTING A FRESH DEAD DEER!
Your bowels must have been on the skits for a while!
Have you ever wanted to bark at the moon?
lol
RM

Hey I didnt mean to start everyone bickering, I just thought everyone might have their own tradition. My grandpa was a Cherokee Indian and he said thats what they have always done disgusting as it sounds I do it to honor him. It kinda tastes like chicken.

Bigbacks,

I for one think that is a pretty respectable tradition, although not one I personally would partake in. Having studied a bit about Native american history, I have heard of many tribes that follow this tradition with every animal they kill. Many Native americans beleive that by doing this, the power and spirit of the animal killed enters into their body. With the respect and worship they gave to these animals, this tradition played a very important part in the lives of the hunters and warriors of many tribes. Needless to say, no matter what anyone else says about your tradition, I think its very honorable that you follow this tradition to show respect to your grandfather and you ancestors.

TUFF

Well since no one else has any. My dad told me i had to drink my first deers blood. I never thought it was weird just thought it was a tradition.I guess this isnt something everyone does? And as far as the hillbilly bashing goes. IM HILLBILLY and damn proud!!!!!!!!!!!! Mountaineer

I tell the guys at work(nonhunters! but look forward to the meat).I tell them the 1st thing I do every time is pull the condom out before I get back to camp!!! THE LOOK ON THE FACES!!
Its a joke and they know it I just say it!
LOL
Rackmaster(I hope I don't get banned for this!)

Hi All!

I thought this post would have a better response than it has so far.

I and my hunting buddies always have a bite size piece of the liver and when we get back to camp we always have a feed of fried liver and onions washed down with a big glass of rum.
I have hunted with others that always eat a piece of the raw ham. These traditions were all passed down by our fathers and their fathers before them. It is done to honor the animal and those that came before us.

See Ya!

Chuck

We all have traditions in one way or another. So to get back to your post whenever i shoot a deer the first thing i do is say a little prayer thanking god for what i was blessed with. As for eating the heart, that is just fine with me the indians used to eat bear hearts, the strength of the bear was to go into you. I think it was a type of spiritual medicine.

We always place the empty gun casing or arrow next to the animals heart than say a short prayer.

When I was a kid and shot my first deer. My dad reached down and put a little blood on his finger and put it on my face. I don't know if that's weird or not but I can tell you I felt a strong mix of pride, sorrow, excitement, and the feeling of growing up in the woods. Case in point I was hooked on hunting. If I ever have a son I plan to put "the mark" of his first deer on him as well.

Sendero

This oughta really start some flak !!! My tradition is probably alittle perverse, but, I'm not ashamed of it. When I shoot a buck, after a brief prayer of thanks, I gut him. Now, how often have you returned to a gut pile within a few days and all traces of what transpired there is gone. So when I gut the buck, I remove his "package", stretch it abit, and tie it in a square knot on a limb.
This is my way of honoring the buck by creating a sign post that lasts a surprising long time. I haven't killed an elk, yet, but I'll probably have to tie a double square knot when I do. LOL ;-)

I don't know if it's a tradition but we made a bet one year that whoever killed the first deer had to take a bite of a testicle. Luckily my shot wasn't the kill shot. My friend killed the deer and none of us let him forget the bet. When I look through my hunting pics and see that pic I can't help busting a gut. It's a combination of the look on his face and the determination to get a chunk of that little bugger to come off. Needless to say those little buggers are so damn tough he couldn't even bite through it, he really tried hard. The poor guy that came along just before the attempt just about lost his lunch. Now that was a dang good time!!!

RW,
That's priceless dude!!!
Did ya skin it out first or have him just try to chomp thru
the "bag" ? LMAO !!!!! :7

Does anybody remember the movie RED DAWN. Isn't that what they do, eat a heart, or do they drink a cup of blood? Good movie anyway.

Yeah, I can relate......

The first time I went fishing for Albacore, I was 11 years old. My dad told me that it was a "rule" that you had to eat a live anchovy out of the bait tank on your first tuna trip before you were allowed to take a bait and use it. He turned around (probably couldn't keep a straight face), I grabbed a big anchovy and started munchin it down. Just about done and he turned toward me and told me to spit it out. Nah, too late.

I worked as a 2nd deckhand on sportsfishing boats for a couple years in my teens, and only once did I sucker another kid in on that one. Lord knows I tried.........:)

RW, that's hilarious! I'm still smiling at the thought!

As for me, I just say a short prayer thanking god for the animal, and that I'm lucky enough to be in the out doors.

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome... right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

Actually, most places I hunt, my Dad has always said "better take a salt shaker and a fork with ya, because thats the only way you'll get him out."

I see nothing wrong by what you do to honor your grandfather. American Indians had the outmost respect for their prey. We know they used every bit of an animal in their lifes.

As for tradition, we do like what was mentioned before. The liver and fried onions on the side in camp that night. But this year plan on giving the heart a try, but cooked.

I have had experience with a few of the rituals posted here. When i first kill an animal the first thing i do is pray when i get to it and make sure its passed. after i gut it i too hang the 'manhood' up in a nearby tree. ive never really known why but my father taught me too. looking at it now the explanation before seems as good as any. i always thought it was more to show other hunters that you already took the big guy out of that nook of the woods. it is also a gag joke in my family that there is a 'tradition' to eat part of the liver out of your first elk raw. of course you find out later that its more of a hazing ritual than any, and of course no kid in my family that has yet to get an elk knows that its more a joke than a tradition.

I usually hunt by myself so I don't have any traditions or jokes.
Except that for the last three years I have missed the first blacktail that I launch an arrow at each year. Boy, I hope this does not become a tradition!

Bill

I have a few traditions. I also hang the testicles in a tree or on a bush. The story I was told is that they are the "seed" and when they rot enough to fall from the tree or bush, a new buck comes into the world to take the place of the one you killed. I also sing a special song that is "lucky" for me. Mine is the old west song "Sweet Betsy from Pike" since that is what my dad sang or hummed when he was hunting.

And the deal with the heart is an old Indian ritual. If any of you know the town of Crowheart in Wyoming, that is where Chief Washakie killed the Crow chief, and proceeded to eat his heart. That's a real story and Chief Washakie was a genuine tough guy, and also a great leader and wise man.

We live a pretty soft life when we can get upset with one another for some of the posts on this site.

"We live a pretty soft life when we can get upset with one another for some of the posts on this site." (ICMDEER)

Youcmwell........Very well put.......thanks.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom