Epics Muley Lives Matter

schoolhousegrizz

Very Active Member
If you don't punch your deer tag turn it into Epic this year and you will be in a drawing for tons of cool prizes. Check out their website for details. I was going to try to do a little contest here on Monster Muleys for the same thing but I figured why reinvent the wheel when they already got it going. I'll just spread the word. Maybe us veteran hunters can hold off on the trigger on some of those bucks we're not sure about. This could help us have older age class bucks in the future. The dwr will still adjust tags to keep it in the buck to doe ratio objectives so we will not really have more bucks, but we could have older age class bucks.

Would be pretty cool if the contest works as it’s purposed and people hold off on shooting dinks and send in there tags.

It'll never make a difference. Everyone already knows the only way a buck can get any age is by letting it live and everyone decides to shoot 2 and 3 year Olds anyway I think the last thing in their mind in the last day of a week long hunt is if they'll be entered in a raffle they probably aren't gonna win anyway just my 2 cents, someone who is targeting and knows how to find older age class bucks doesn't need a raffle to help them lay off the trigger.

Last edited:
It'll never make a difference. Everyone already knows the only way a buck can get any age is by letting it live and everyone decides to shoot 2 and 3 year Olds anyway I think the last thing in their mind in the last day of a week long hunt is if they'll be entered in a raffle they probably aren't gonna win anyway just my 2 cents, someone who is targeting and knows how to find older age class bucks doesn't need a raffle to help them lay off the trigger.
Exactly. All this contest does is try to instill a stigma on shooting a small antler buck. Which is worse? Killing a 150” 3 year old buck with great genetics or killing a 90” 3 year 3 point?

Leave it to Utah to start yet another contest.

Exactly. All this contest does is try to instill a stigma on shooting a small antler buck. Which is worse? Killing a 150” 3 year old buck with great genetics or killing a 90” 3 year 3 point?

In my mind, if someone has a tag I don't care what they choose to shoot. Big buck hunting is my thing, but if others are happy pounding a 2 point then more power to them. Where I do get pissed is people who pound 2 points and then ***** about there being no big deer.....

If guys would let them get to 3, that would be awesome…

It's a great idea for those that want to participate like me. Epic Outdoors is serious about trophy mule deer and I applaud their efforts to promote letting the young deer live at a time when we're seeing less mature bucks (especially CO). They also make it very clear that this doesn't necessarily apply to youth hunters. They want them to have successful hunts so they keep hunting. Same for anyone else that's happy shooting young deer. But for me, I have plenty of trophies and I'm happy to pass on young bucks in hopes they make it another year.

I applaud creative ideas vs just bitching about how things never get better or blaming others................instead of putting this idea down come up with some other ideas or support the creative idea. Quit sitting on the sideline bitching about everything and come up with a solution! You are either part of the problem or part of the solution.

I applaud creative ideas vs just bitching about how things never get better or blaming others................instead of putting this idea down come up with some other ideas or support the creative idea. Quit sitting on the sideline bitching about everything and come up with a solution! You are either part of the problem or part of the solution.
I thought my idea was a good one

Think thier main Emphasis was on earting doe tags and if you really didn’t need a buck on the last day considering letting a small buck pass. Thier doing this in response to game and fish not cutting deep enough in severe winter kill areas to give them an extra chance to not have age classes totally eliminated

It's a good idea, not so much because of prizes or even a contest, but to help reinforce a mindset. The best part, is it doesn't call on government to do anything, nor does it call for tag cuts leading to guys sitting home.

You can have the time hunting, time with folks you cherish, at the best time of the year, and still dona good thing by not shooting little ones.

Where is the break down of this ordeal? The way I understand it, a person has to hand in their tag before the season starts in August. If this is the case then it is a stupid idea, incentivizing people to get tags and not use them is pointless. The tag being turned in could have been someone else last chance to hunt with family and friends, or went to a person who really needed the meat after a hard year, or???? I am not sure I like the idea of rewarding people to not hunt. Incentivizing the intentional nonuse of a hunting license seems counter to NAM and to conservation...

If this is a contest where a person can hunt the entire season, spend time with family friends, etc. then turn in an unfilled tag, it is different but from what I saw this was having hunters get a tag and then never seven set foot in the field.

You turn your tag in AFTER the season is over if you don’t fill it. What you’re talking about is a totally different initiative by a different group in WY.

You turn your tag in AFTER the season is over if you don’t fill it. What you’re talking about is a totally different initiative by a different group in WY.
got it... I was curious on how this was going. They are going to get a massive data mine of information off those tags. Smart idea and a good marketing ploy as well...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom