ESPN2

kilowatt

I watched for the first time this evening this new version of the American Sportsman and doubt I will watch it again.

They had of all people on there today hunting with a Muzzleloader, and I am guessing the first time too, Roy Jones Jr. the Light-Heavy weight boxer and he was after Antelope in southern New Mexico and they were riding around in an elevated bench seat in the back of a truck.
He had shots at three different bucks and blew it all three times. Then they found another, this was the 4th, and he got out and made a shot, but I never seen the hit, but then they walked out to the down buck and they were high-fiving each other until the guide got to them.

I've never seen that show so I won't comment on it. I do know as a TV producer myself that I watch some very lame shows put on tv. I guess my biggest beef is narration. So many shows are almost entirely narration and that is simply poor planning and scripting. I mean how many regular tv shows or movies are 90% narration? Just a personal observation.
Rich

Hey Omega,

I've often wondered as I'm sure many on this board have, what does it take to make a video for TV? General cost of the equipment, what to charge a sponsor, how much do you get for the product to air, etc...

What does it take? Money, a big bag full! All outdoor programing buys broadcast time, not many people realize that, we are the only people that see a value in weekend time slots. Buys go over a million dollars on TNN for 52 weeks and the other networks vary from there down. Costs vary in accordance with how many commercials you buy, broadcast times, and number of airings per quarter. You charge your sponsors based on this schedule. Sponsors are an unending job and the toughest side of the business. Equipment varies also upon quality and location, a 30 pound Betacam at $25,000 does a spectacular job, but it doesn't see the top of many mountains! Mini DV's are the standard for most of the hunting other than blind setups. Travel, licences, editing and post production costs also vary but a single hunt segment can vary from a low of $5,000 to the sky is the limit.
Take care, Rich

Omega, you are right, unfortunately, it does take a lot of money to produce a show. There is something else it should take, talent. I can't believe some of the crap that gets on the outdoor channel. Many of these guys know nothing about white balancing, framing, or continuity. I saw the episode with Roy Jones Jr. and that antelope hunt was a disgrace. Not the filming but the content. He couldn't hit crap. The outfitter was having him take marginal shots. If I remember right, also some running shots. It was very poor taste considering the channel it was on, ESPN 2, the majority of the people who watch that channel are not hunters. I'm sure it left a bad taste in the mouths of many non-hunting viewers. I also do video/television production and I would have never let that air.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom