eTrex on plane

N

Negissimo

Had a chance to fly to VA this weekend, I figured it would be interesting to check out how the eTrex Legend worked on the plane. A couple of interesting observations.

Top speed was 559mph

Speed at take off was 155

Speed at landing was 140 one time, 150 another

The pilot announced elevation twice during the flight home, once at 31,000ft and once at 29,000ft, the GPS said 30,400 and 28,400 each time. So it was 600 ft below what the pilot said both times.

When I could see the ground, the map on the GPS was exactly right as to what I was looking at outside, from the shapes of rivers, lakes and highways, to our position over all the above.

Overall it was really fun just to play around with while we were flying. Anyone else ever try this? The speedometer on the GPS is right on with the one in my car, so I assume it was accurate in the plane as well. Sure made the flight quicker!

Attention passengers...please turn off all electronic devices during take off and landing. Thankyou...the Captain

I was doing the same thing with my e-trex during a flight to Hawaii and the stewardess asked me what I was doing, I told her and she went and talked to the pilot and he said I had to turn it off so I wouldn't interfer with the planes radar.

Rut

I have asked multiple times if it was ok to use my GPS on flights. Consistent no answers. I suspect it has nothing to do with electronic information/radar on the plane. They don't want you to be able to fix your location, route, speed, etc. The terrorism thing I believe.

That definitely makes sense. The stewardess walked right past me several times and never said a word, there was even a couple of my buddies checkin it out over my shoulder. I never thought twice about it.

Well your alive so I can't imagine it messed with any flight systems. I worked on the flight control systems of a jet when I was in the AF. They have about a dozen different systems running at any given time. Now if you where transmitting some kind of signal then I could see a problem. But your receiving a signal. Sounds like it would be cool to check out.

All I know is that when the stewardess told me it might interfer with the planes navigation and I looked out the window and all I saw was the ocean I shut it off in a hurry!

Rut

Great idea to pass time, I bet they tell me to shut it off but it cannot hurt to try for a while, I agree it only recieves a signal so it cannot mess up the plane any more then a radio could, even a cell phone is worse, I think.

Neat info though

The elevation difference was probably due to GPS set up, you have 2 choice, MSL (Mean Sea Level) and HAE (Height above ellipsoid). Depending on the set up that could account for the differences. I don't recall what pilots use as elevation.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom