Euro Mount Preparation

AKchukar

I am coming from Alaska to hunt mule deer for the first time in 26 yrs. and will be hunting 3rd rifle in NW Colorado. If successful, would like to do a Euro mount. I have a couple of questions about preparation.

First - Any tips on cleaning brain matter and spinal column matter from a specimen without ruining Euro mount potential? I am flying in and out of Salt Lake City. In regards to CWD, Utah only allows out-of-state transport of "Skulls and skull plates with antlers attached that have been cleaned of all brain matter and spinal column matter."

Second - How does leaving a skull/antlers in a shed for weeks, months, or even a year or more, affect the potential for doing a Euro mount? I return to Alaska two days following the season closure. Due to possible time restraints, any skull/antlers might have to be left indefinitely in a shed on some property I own in Utah.

Thanks!

It’s easy to pop the spinal column off the back of the skull. Usually can cut around it and then grab the antlers and twist them a few times and it will come apart.
Best way I’ve found to remove the brain matter is with a piece of coat hanger in a drill. Bend a little hook on the one end and spin it up. Then shake it out into the trash. After a few rounds it’s pretty clean.
Also you can take it to a local car wash and pressure wash it pretty clean easily. Just be careful of the nose bones.

After you detach the head, as @Cahunter805 said, I just find a stick out in the field, about as big around as your little finger. I'll plunge those brains out right there in the field, before I even leave the kill site. A little less weight to carry.

I'll typically also remove the lower jaw at the same time. Only takes a few minutes and also lightens the load a titch.

If you're going to store it in a shed for awhile until you get around to cleaning it. Wrap the antlers up in something and nature should help you out cleaning up some of the skull.

I know there are plenty of Colorado taxidermy shops that offer a 24 hr turn around on skulls due to the high volume of non resident hunters and cwd regs. Maybe call ahead and see.

If you have time right after the hunt, do most of the prep yourself. Take the hide and jaw off and go to the car wash and hit with the high pressure all the brains should come out easily, you will get brain matter all over yourself (be warned) but it works. if you can scramble them with a drill and wire.
If you got some time take a look at White Bone Creations on the lube tube he does a phenomenal job.
I've done a few but don't have those facilities that white bone does.
Taxidermists usually charge about 350.00 for a euro but the turnaround is usually long.
Uttaxi1 says 24 hour in Colorado is great. Find one of those guys. as for your trip to Alaska if your not in a hurry just take it to a taxi and drop it off it will get done and be waiting for you later. $$$ and time is always the key.
Here is one I took while in the process my buddy was dying to see how it was coming along. I didn't get a finish photo though, I'll see if he can send me one finished.

skull.jpg

Put the skull on an an iron fence post and hit it with an air compressor. You can fit the tube in the skull port in the back and blow that crap out. Then I would finish up with freaknasty’s car wash cleanse.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom