Euro question

bergy

Ive always been pretty patient when it comes to getting my taxidermy done. I understand that good taxidermy is worth a (reasonable) wait. This past October my son shot a bull and we gave the skull and horns to a taxidermist and asked for a simple Euro on the bull. My question is, what is a reasonable time to expect the completion of a euro? Its been 7 months now.

Not reasonable on a euro ! I've done thousands of them. I don't care how busy people think they are , if they can't handle the work load they shouldn't take it on. Can do a euro in a few hours easily.

Sorry to hear about the delay! Two types of euros- boiled or beetles. Boiled can be done quickly, within a week. Beetles takes months as most taxidermists don't keep a batch of mature beetles on hand through the cold months and it takes months to get them to the point where they will eat all the flesh off of a mount in a timely manner. I am betting that may be the issue. I have had both done on various skulls, and I prefer the boiled for speed and the finish. I have heard that boiled can be tricky on carnivores, as supposedly the high heat can fracture the canines if the taxidermist isn't careful. Hope this helps!

Cheers- Dave

Maybe you and taxi should have discussed anticipated completion date at time of transfer and deposit or full payment. I wouldnt think a taxi wants or has space for an elk skull to sit around that long.

Hope your situation resolves soon.

Maybe a cordial exploratory phone call will get the ball rolling!

I had a euro done on an antelope I got last year with beetles and it took about 2.5 months to get back. 7 months is way too long. I would be making some phone calls to your taxidermist.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. The bull really means a lot to me. It is my sons first elk. He's not a monster, but definitely a trophy.

7 months is way too long for ME to keep euro's laying around my shop. I'm part timer and get them done withing 2 months or sooner depending on stuff rolling in. I don't have freezers big enough to keep elk heads with antlers in so I have to get to them as soon as they are brought in. Now when I send my Bears, lions, javi,fox or bobcat to my beetle guy then it may take 6 months. But most folks want their skull back when the rug or mount is complete so 6 months is not bad to wait on beetle clean as the mount will not be ready for 9.

Squeaky wheel gets the oil right. Hopefully you've spoke with him since your drop off date 7 months ago. That is ridiculous. Have you given him any $ yet?
I've never kept anyone's head longer than 3 months. No matter how busy I am or amount of time/attention a project may need (ie, a restoration).
I'm sure your son is antsy. Interested to see what the taxi's excuse is. Best of luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom