european mount for elk?

BLooDTRaCKeR

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-15 AT 07:26AM (MST)[p]Anyone know of a good place in northern utah, preferably close to the Ogden area that is reasonably priced? If not, I will attempt it myself, doesn't look extremely difficult, just time consuming.

Thanks in advance!

Oh, and I will post up pics of my general season bull in the elk forum once I get time and things settle down! It was another excellent, successful hunt!

Blood tracker wherent you on fish lake ? It pretty easy to do your self. I have a sheet with instructions I can post up.

There's plenty of instructions and videos on the net that you can follow and do it yourself. You'd be looking at a minimum of $200 to have someone do it for you. It's worth your time I'd say. Plus, you can forever say that you did it on your own.

The most difficult part is having the equipment to "cook" the skull. You want to do it outside on a camp stove or something similar, and you need a pot large enough to fit the skull... Once you have that, its a cake walk pretty much.

Can't wait to see your bull. Congrats..!!

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

I agree with these responces. Do it your self is pretty simple. Done my own and then use a large skull hooker and it turns out great.

I have done my own, and had others do it for me.
I much prefer paying others. :)
It is straight forward but takes some time.

Ryan Cook does great work. He charged me $250 with a plaque for an elk. It would be a little less without the plaque. Was worth it to me to pay someone, but it would be cool if you can do it yourself.

Cooks Quality Taxidermy
749 E 7150 S
South Weber, UT 84405
(801)695-1437

LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-15 AT 03:31PM (MST)[p]Hey thanks for the replies! I actually got a pot today and threw the scull in it. It's out back cooking on the camp chef as I write this. Looking around, you are all right on the fees! I couldn't believe they charge 200.00-250.00 for a euro mount!! I will post up pics of the whole euro job as well. I am a do it your self kind of guy, so I said, "what the hey" might as well try it.

Big John, I wasn't on the fish lake elk hunting, just went fishing down there this summer. This bull I took was on the general season unit.

As stated, it isn't difficult. If you are not in a hurry, than the maceration method seems to do a better job with less problems with grease staining the skull. Throw it in a five gallon bucket of water and leave. Make sure the water level stays higher than the skull. It'll smell to high heaven, so keep wind direction and the neighbors in mind. If you drop a $20 fish tank heater in, it will significantly speed up the process. I've used the skull bleaching kits with good results. I've also spray painted white with good results as well.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-11-15 AT 09:14PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-11-15 AT 09:12?PM (MST)

DIY is the way to go. Yeah it's a royal pain but I enjoy the final product. Just simmered mine in baking soda. Cleaned up and repeated a couple times. Think I'm going to whiten it again using 40 volume and basic white. Mountain to wall in 4 days!

99imag0009.jpg

5820imag0002.jpg

At this point in my life, I'm with you! Once you find someone who does it all the time, and you look over their work, it makes life much less messy to let them do the dirty work. :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom