European Mount

Waygoner

My brother shot a nice bull this year. He's got the skull clean and wants to make a wood plaque to mount it to. How should he fasten the skull to the wood? Does anyone have a pattern or plans for the plaque they would share?

Use some JB weld on back of skull to make a solid anchor point or points. Then simlpy screw thru plaque into the solid JB weld on skull!

You can order a plaque (panels) thrue Mckenzie taxidermy catalog 1-800-279-7985. The catalog is free. If you need more info go Taxidermy.net. You can ask How do I mount european skulls on a panels? Theres more taxidermy catalogs on the net just type in taxidermy supply. I hope that will help you.

Quest

I've mounted several on wood plaques and they turned out well. Drill a small hole (1/16") about a quarter inch up from the bottom of the skull at four locations (corners) on the skull. Lay the skull on your plaque and make a mark directly below the holes you drilled. Remove the skull and drill a hole thru your marks and one about 1/4" away next to it. Take pieces of fine wire about 5" long and run them thru each of the skull holes and down thru the two holes you drilled into the plaque. Twist the wire together on the backside of the plaque.
It is very solid and hardly noticeable.

After you have cut the bottom of skull down to the jaw line and have sanded it level you take a block of wood that fits in the brain cavity and bondo it in level with the edges and when the bondo is cured you can screw the skull to your panel of choice!

Jerry

The way I do mine is by just using the outline of the skull basically and adding about a 1 1/2 - 2" around it with a "point" on the bottom.
I use one wood screw into the skull right below the brain opening where there is a good mass of bone.
I also trim off the back of the skull where those 2 "tabs" of bone stick out. It helps to rest solidly on the plauqe.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Yeah I have got some patterns and pictures of my mounts that I can send if I get some time.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom