Ever had a new string blow up before?

Wbrim

I’ve been been helping a good friend get into archery the past year. He has really liked it. He decided it is time for him to get a brand new bow, rather than using my old bowtech he’s been shooting for the past year.

We went in to the local shop in St George, and shot a few bows. He absolutely loved the new Prime Nexus, and after declared it his clear favorite. He shot maybe a dozen arrows thrit before leaving the shop. He is over the moon excited (it’s a pretty big upgrade, who wouldn’t be excited?!)

He takes it home, and draws it back to double check his arrow length, as he wants to order arrows cut to fit. As I’m pulling a tape to check measurement, the string blew out. Parts went flying, strings whipping, it was chaos. The cams are toast, and bits of strings are everywhere they don’t belong.

Has anyone seen something like this?
If I hadn’t seen it myself, I’d think he had dry fired it, causing the string break. But I watched the string break, and the whole thing go wild.

I've been in archery for 50 years, several years with a mfg, and have never seen a string "just break". They're over built by a large margin. String or harness got cut from a burr as it was shot at the shop or on the way home maybe.

I had one come apart on me. It was kinda slow motion. It just came unwound. No drama.

I'm way more scared of the rubber peep aligner. That baby hurts!

I've been in archery for 50 years, several years with a mfg, and have never seen a string "just break". They're over built by a large margin. String or harness got cut from a burr as it was shot at the shop or on the way home maybe.
From the what I could tell, the point the string failed is right on a plastic eye. I wonder if that could have had a bur or sharp edge or something.
Thanks

had one break on me one time at full draw with my little daughter and nephew standing beside me. Got really lucky the bow blew up and all pieces went down range away from us.

I find it disappointing that the archery ‘pro’ shop didn’t measure his draw and determine what length/size arrows he needed before he left. That and they sold him a Prime. ?
I can’t hold the arrow length against them. They measured his draw, and set him up accordingly. And he said he was set on arrows, planning to shoot some he already had. On the drive home, he decided to order some new arrows. Wanting to be sure to get a length best set for the new bow I said we could measure string to rest, and didn’t need to assume.

Funny thing is he went in the door all ready to buy a Mathews, changed his mind to Hoyt while comparing, but decided the Prime held steady the best.

Was he pulling it back without his release? I've seen guys roll the string out of the cam pulling a bow back with fingers, putting torque on the string. Never had a string just break. Glad he is ok.

I had my bow come apart while shooting at a buck two years ago. It was wild! After it came apart, the buck stood there watching me make sure I wasn’t bleeding anywhere.
I took it to a local dealer afterwards, he strongly insisted the string failed and not the bow. He actually accused me of either dry firing the bow or shooting too light of an arrow, also mentioned that possibly my nock wasn’t pressed in all the way.

In the end it cost me a good buck, new limbs, and cams.

5B7F8B52-5934-4C31-936E-D2FCE1968BA4.jpeg

Was he pulling it back without his release? I've seen guys roll the string out of the cam pulling a bow back with fingers, putting torque on the string. Never had a string just break. Glad he is ok.
He was pulling it with fingers, no release. I know that’s not ideal, but I had never considered that may lead to something like this!
He is ok, and it sounds like the limbs are ok too. But it’s going to be a few hundred for new cams and string.

I had my bow come apart while shooting at a buck two years ago. It was wild! After it came apart, the buck stood there watching me make sure I wasn’t bleeding anywhere.
I took it to a local dealer afterwards, he strongly insisted the string failed and not the bow. He actually accused me of either dry firing the bow or shooting too light of an arrow, also mentioned that possibly my nock wasn’t pressed in all the way.

In the end it cost me a good buck, new limbs, and cams.

View attachment 34936
Here I was thinking he had the worst luck, but losing a good buck, and bow blowing up is way worse! Cool story tho, for sure.

For the record I'm not bagging on TnT. Does Hurst even have an archery department anymore?
That’s it, TnT.
They just moved to the other side of town, not far from Hurst.
I can’t remember Hurst having anything more than a couple releases and broadheads. I certainly wouldn’t consider them having an archery department in the last several years.

That’s it, TnT.
They just moved to the other side of town, not far from Hurst.
I can’t remember Hurst having anything more than a couple releases and broadheads. I certainly wouldn’t consider them having an archery department in the last several years.
You must not be a St. George old timer if you don't remember Hurst having an archery department. Before I moved away from St. George in 2007 I managed the hunting department at Hurst after Cory Cannon went to Cabelas to be the gun library manager. We had Hoyt, Bowtech, Matthews and Martin dealerships in St George. After Ross Hurst died his son Jason changed the store up. I heard he gutted the sporting goods for rock climbing junk but I haven't been back to see for myself.

The second "T" in TnT was a guy named Tom. He worked in our archery department at Hurst for a little while before he got Terry to go in as a partner starting up TnT. They were originally on the west side over in Ivins. Tom screwed Terry over pretty good by selling stuff and pocketing the cash. He also did Taxidermy on the side and screwed a lot of people, I ended up losing a 4 point muley when Tom's place got raided and they confiscated everything.
Tom had some medical issues and got hooked on meds, that resulted into he and his wife breaking into cars, stealing purse, wallets and other stuff. He finally got caught when he used someones credit card at a convenience store and it was caught by a security camera.

Terry is a pretty good guy and if there is an issue with a bow he will do right by it. The problem with a string breaking is there's more than one way it can happen, usually someone torques the bow and derails the string (my daughter did this last year and it split the limbs and bent a cam on her Diamond Infinite edge). If it broke at the peep site there could have been a sharp edge on it that cut a couple strands but it can be hard to tell what caused it after the fact.

You must not be a St. George old timer if you don't remember Hurst having an archery department. Before I moved away from St. George in 2007 I managed the hunting department at Hurst after Cory Cannon went to Cabelas to be the gun library manager. We had Hoyt, Bowtech, Matthews and Martin dealerships in St George. After Ross Hurst died his son Jason changed the store up. I heard he gutted the sporting goods for rock climbing junk but I haven't been back to see for myself.

The second "T" in TnT was a guy named Tom. He worked in our archery department at Hurst for a little while before he got Terry to go in as a partner starting up TnT. They were originally on the west side over in Ivins. Tom screwed Terry over pretty good by selling stuff and pocketing the cash. He also did Taxidermy on the side and screwed a lot of people, I ended up losing a 4 point muley when Tom's place got raided and they confiscated everything.
Tom had some medical issues and got hooked on meds, that resulted into he and his wife breaking into cars, stealing purse, wallets and other stuff. He finally got caught when he used someones credit card at a convenience store and it was caught by a security camera.

Terry is a pretty good guy and if there is an issue with a bow he will do right by it. The problem with a string breaking is there's more than one way it can happen, usually someone torques the bow and derails the string (my daughter did this last year and it split the limbs and bent a cam on her Diamond Infinite edge). If it broke at the peep site there could have been a sharp edge on it that cut a couple strands but it can be hard to tell what caused it after the fact.
I went to school at Dixie, so I was there for a few years, maybe 10 years ago. The hunting counter was up the little stairs, on the south end back the. That’s pretty cool to learn a little history behind it.
TnT just opened the new location, on Sunset, at Phoenix Plaza last month. It was over by sportsman’s, I think on Riverside until now.
Terry is a pretty solid guy. He was pretty quick to decide it was my buddies fault the bow blew up. (Maybe it was, maybe not. But it’s sucks either way) The sting over the bottom cam broke. These Prime Nexus have 7 strings, a lot going on. I think they talked out a deal that Terry will put the bow back together free labor, once cams and string are bought.

a couple years ago I had my bow mounted on the front rack of my wheeler heading up the mountain and after a several mile ride and a bunch of twists and turns getting to the top where we were going to be glassing from. I looked at my bow as I was taking it off the rack I noticed the string was fraying pretty good from rubbing a part of the wheeler on turns and the bumps in the road. needless to say I didn't even try to pull it back. I just went and had new custom strings installed on it. wasn't worth the risk for me to even try pulling it back.

AC1055B5-4BE8-480E-A4D5-002C229BF442.jpeg

Well, figured I’d tie this one up a little bit.
He got his bow back, rebuilt and ready to go.

String and cams ran about 275$, and
TNT must have felt for the guy, and put it all together again for him. When it was picked up, it came with a lengthy lecture about dry fires, drawing with fingers, and other bad ideas.

But hey, learn what you can from it all, huh?

I had a string break on my bow once, while it was in the hard case. It was fine when I put it away. Next time I opened my case it was ugly. I'd hate for one to break mid-draw! Cost me strings and cams.

Don P

Good point! Yes I do. To be perfectly honest, the thought never crossed my mind. But who knows? Anything is possible. Haha!

Don P.

I was at full draw at the archery club when my bow blew up on me. I’m pretty sure the failure was at the peep sight. A Holt pro staff member happened to be watching when the whole thing went down. I explained that I only had one hunting day left in the season to get out and it was in a few days. I figured that that hunting day had just been ruined by my bow blowing up. The Holt pro staff member asked me for my bow and the next evening he drop my bow off to me with new strings and limbs. No charge no questions. I sighted my bow in in the headlights at our farm that night and went hunting the next morning for my last day effort and killed a 27 5/8” P&Y buck. I have never own anything other than a Hoyt since then. They have always taken care of me. I never want a bow to blow up on me again, not a fun experience.

String breaking/derailment is an impressive experience. Mine resulted from the head of a milo stalk catching inside the bottom cam. I snuck in on a bachelor group of mulies on the edge of a milo field. When the time was right, I came to full draw and rolled up to my knees. The buck I wanted didn't give me the shot, so I tried to let down quietly to continue the stalk. Wrong! I initially had no idea what happened and took a pretty good whip on the face. Ripped my sight off too. Deer just stood and stared. Certainly sped up shopping for a new bow.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom