Ever seen one of these??

BLooDTRaCKeR

Very Active Member
Found this guy today.
This young bull busted the antler off in the scull.
The antler was hanging off his head, only attached by the skin. Watched it dangle and swing every time he moved.

13E81AB0-B0AF-4922-91DE-464734D10650.jpeg

I killed a spike elk in Utah 10 years ago like this, I thought he was a one horned spike when I shot him. At the time I shot his other spike was laying backwards.

I filmed a spike that had one horn going straight forward like that this year in Wy. Pretty crazy looking and seems like he could train wreck about any bull with that dagger facing straight forward :)
Cheers, Pete

Found a small 3 point elk horn next to a fence this year while deer hunting, noticed the fence was a little messed up right there too. Looking at the bur it was clearly broken off below the bur rather than a natural shed. I can only speculate as to what happened, but thinking he didn't quite clear the fence and ended up on his head lol snapped that sucker clean off his head, I bet that hurt like hell.

Not so sure about that. If the antler was fully developed (no longer growing) it most likely wont effect growth going forward.
I'd bet there is damage to the pedicle, and that is what would cause abnormal growth next year. Granted, that is assuming the bull doesn't have a skull fracture that ends up getting infected which would make his survival to next year all the more challenging than normal

I noticed young bull’s pedicles are tall and thin. Might be more susceptible to breaking. Seems fairly common. My wife’s bull from this year
FC86DE27-4179-46F2-987C-710F19390349.png

Wow these are cool pics! Thanks for sharing! Neat to see what can happen to a bull that busts an antler like the one in my pic!

Not an elk, but a buck deer, just this fall- his antler was not broke that I could tell, just grew downward,

Hanging antler buck2.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom