Ewe tag: who applied?

Maybe I will get a Double Sheep hunt with #5 Ram and #5 ewe.

I sure would like to have a ewe between the 2 Rocky Rams on my wall.

Robb

i applied for the heck of it, if i recall the game warden told me they are thinking on about 20 tags.

I strongly considered it, but I read it as the wilderness within the Greybull drainage, not the wilderness plus the Greybull drainage so I passed. I might have read it wrong, but I did't take a chance of being forced to hire an outfitter or toss the tag.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-12 AT 05:59PM (MST)[p]I made the phone call to the Cody office and to the Cheyenne office.....both office's can not be wrong!

With in the Washakie Wilderness and Greybull drainage in unit 5.

My old stomping grounds back in the --before LQ days-- of elk 62 and deer 116....

You are a lock for the Ram tag anyways--EF!

Robb

tag is only 41 bucks for a resident. cant beat that for a price. i am hoping to draw the tag and freeze the cape maybe if i ever strike the lottery and get a ram tag i can down a ram and ewe mount

I applied for it as well, and so did my brother. With this many people that applied on monster muleys alone I would venture to say the odds are going to be very steep. My prediction is less than 10% draw odds for a resident on the ewe tag. Wouldn't be surprised if it is much worse than that, its a bummer because I was really hoping to get a chance to hunt a ewe this year. So with 15 resident tags there will likely be 200+ applicants, anybody else wanna throw in a prediction?! Somebody will get lucky, just maybe it will be me!

All a guess... I guess not great odds, but I can't draw.. Oh well, I AM drawing a ram tag and the seasons don't overlap much, last week of ram season. I'll be headed home well before the ewe season starts. :) And gas will be over $5 a gallon by then......

nfh,
If you do get one, you want to get the cape to the point it can be stored many years, not sure freezing will do that... They dry out and burn with time.

Im kind of surprised theres this much interest in this particular ewe hunt. I thought that since this is a backpack or horse back style hunt in grizzly infested wilderness in late october that not too many people would be interested. So far its looking like that is not the case. I also thought that when they opened area 3 for mountain goats it would be easier to draw being it was a back country hunt....and boy was I wrong about that, it turned out to be the hardest goat tag to draw!

Anybody have any idea how far back into the greybull river drainage the wilderness boundary is? The weather could potentially be nasty that time of year back in there. I plan to archery hunt it if I draw.

>Im kind of surprised theres this
>much interest in this particular
>ewe hunt. I thought
>that since this is a
>backpack or horse back style
>hunt in grizzly infested wilderness
>in late october that not
>too many people would be
>interested. So far its
>looking like that is not
>the case. I also
>thought that when they opened
>area 3 for mountain goats
>it would be easier to
>draw being it was a
>back country hunt....and boy was
>I wrong about that, it
>turned out to be the
>hardest goat tag to draw!
>

that was my thinking for area 3 goat and it worked for me this last year. it was a great tag.... but the good news the game and fish is seriously thiking about going from 4 to 8 tags. i know the game warden very well in that area and the game and fish does not want many goats in area 3..

>nfh,
>If you do get one, you
>want to get the cape
>to the point it can
>be stored many years, not
>sure freezing will do that...
>They dry out and burn
>with time.

Thanks for the info. what is the best way to store them for a few years??????????

That's what I weas thinking. Get it tanned. Looking it up, I get conflicting estimates of how long it will last in a freezer, maybe years if you wrap it up tight in a sealed bsg, maybe months if you just throw it in. And in a freezer you are taking a chance on power outages or a broken freezer when talking years. Properly salted and dried capes last years too. I'm not a taxidermist, check with one.

If you want to keep it for years, tanned is definitely your best bet. Not all tanning is the same, so for mounting you want a taxidermy tan. Taxidermist often have the capes wet tanned so they are ready to go to the form, but for storage get it back dry and seal it from moisture and insects. A taxidermist can rehydrate it to mount later.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom