B2E52213-5E79-4412-B220-4E5FA24B89B3.jpeg

01889782-7552-4488-BC02-9CE8A3B83681.jpeg

0D6B7A59-E12A-41CF-84BB-21D3F8346724.jpeg

go4steelhd

Hell yeah man!
You’re right, it’s a helluva buck!

Zeke

PS: you look way younger with your shirt off than in your hunting garb. Haha
It’s the lighting. In the early morning light I tend to look older and heavier. Then in the indoor light, I tend to look 35 years younger And thin;)
Hahaha. Reading what you wrote gave me a good laugh, thanks.

go4steelhd

He's a beast..! we like stories around here too, if this buck comes with one. :)
This was a draw tag. I picked this unit because it produced a big buck a few years ago. I started some online research and checked out areas on google earth. I was not going to be able to scout until immediately before the hunt for two reasons. 1 it’s a 12 hour drive from my house, and 2 the deer would not be in the areas they rut during the summer. I bought a muzzle loader and put in some practice before season came.

I was elk hunting in Montana before this hunt which turned out successfully, but I was up until 11pm cutting up my bull before I took off. I loaded my gear the next morning in sort of a rush, so I could get 1 1/2 days scouting in before the hunt started. I set out on Halloween to drive down to the unit. Upon my arrival I found that I had loaded a wall tent but not my tent poles. Well this sucked!!!! Oh well, I took a cargo trailer for my side by side, which now became my tent for the next week.

go4steelhd

03DBFC41-11D9-4212-A40F-CB3E7787DDF6.jpeg
I started scouting and found this little buck and lots of doe’s running around. This is a true desert hunt, and finding deer was easy in the few places they lived, but you could drive for hours in the rest of the unit and never see one. I also found a 165 buck the night before the season, but he was a little camera shy so I was unable to get a photo of him. I also found a herd of desert sheep. Which was really cool, I’m not sure that I have seen one before, other than in TV or in photo’s. By the time the season opened, I had not found anything promising

55C9BCC8-751D-4D6F-8EC9-5186C0DD8236.jpeg

79D97B6B-E650-4EE4-84B7-C4B17938F3AD.jpeg

go4steelhd

On the opener I set out to look at some new country and try to find an offensively big buck
chuckle.gif

I hunted all around and seen very few deer and even fewer bucks. The bucks I seen were two points and spikes. The weather was hot and dry, and mid day temperatures were in the mid 70’s and general rifle ending 2 days before my season opened. A week and a half before the hunt they had snow. This was shaping up to be a tough hunt.

The next day I head out again to a new area seeing only two yearling bucks and about 75-100 doe’s. I had about an hour in the morning and 30 minutes at night before the deer were bedding.

Now I have burnt two days of the hunt, and time scouting and still had not seen anything that I was looking for.

I felt it was time to change my tactics a little bit

Last edited:

go4steelhd

I decided to give up on the hope/thought of big bucks parading around everywhere in easy to find spots. I had learned the lay of the land by now, and I figured I would try hunting in areas that may give a buck better cover or terrain that would allow them to live to an older age during the general seasons. So I started concentrating on some rough terrain that had heavy cover or heavy cover near by.

I went out and seen 4 or 5 bucks the next day, but they were all 2 year olds. So I went on google earth and onx and looked for more areas like that. That night I found myself looking at a 3 year old buck who was tailing a doe. Finally a mature buck with a doe, maybe the rut would be coming soon…

The next morning I found myself in a burn that was on the edge of some remote canyons. I found a 4 decent four point bedded in the open right at daylight, I actually had to wait for better light to see what he was. While glassing him I seen a big bodied deer feeding up a draw about 800 yards away. But when I spun the spotting scope to it I only caught the back half of the deer before it disappeared. I had to move two draws closer to get a better look, when I got there I seen 10 doe’s and a 4x3 buck. But I knew none of these were the dark colored big bodies deer I seen go into this draw. About that time I caught movement 150 yards below me, it was a nice buck. I put the muzzy on him, I figured I could judge him in the scope at that range, then be ready to shoot if he was the one. It turns out he was a low 170’s type buck that was about 26 inches wide. He was a nice buck, but I had told myself I was only shooting a buck that I would shoulder mount or I would eat the tag. So I let him walk. I ended up seeing 6 that morning. That night was a bust, I only spotted a few doe’s

go4steelhd

Saturday morning I woke up before my alarm went off to hearing truck after truck and countless side by sides coming by camp. I figured it was the weekend and many tag holder probably had a lot of friends coming up to help look around for a good buck. I headed out to a spot that I had seen about 50-75 doe’s in a few square miles earlier in the week. It was on the edge of some really nasty remote county and I felt it would be the first place a big buck would show up when the rut hit. I get set up on a knob not far from the road before daylight. I always start glassing the second you can see, I learned from hunting area that have a lot of pressure that many of the nice bucks would be bedded with in 10 minutes of shooting hours once they felt hunting pressure. I start trying to glass a clearing when I hear a side by side coming, it turns out that they drive right through where I was wanting to glass at daylight. Oh well, at least I learned where another trail was
chuckle.gif
chuckle.gif

This made me move down to where I could see into the next canyon. When I got there it was about 5 minutes after shooting hours and I could see 4 doe’s. I glassed around to see if they had a buck with them seeing none I pulled my Binoculars down. In that process I caught movement in a distant saddle. Bingo I seen a huge framed buck feeding. I set up my spotting scope and I only had a few seconds to see what he was before he went over the hill into the next canyon. I could tell he was a shooter instantly. But he was quite a ways off, and I could see hunters or at least guys glassing on what seemed like every knob around me. In fact I counted 8 guys with in a mile of me. I started to hurry over to where I last seen the buck, when I bumped some doe’s that ran up and stood on the saddle that he went through. They stood there for what seemed like 20 minutes, mean while all I could think is I know this buck came through where three of these hunters could see him if they were watching that direction. I was starting to hope I did not hear a gun shot on the other side of these doe’s. But I knew if I bumped them again they would run him out also so I kept waiting. They stared at me endlessly. Finally they walked quickly or trotted over the hill. I quickly got to the top if the saddle and when I peaked over I could see about 20 deer feeding at about 100 yards. I had my shooting sticks already set for a quick standing shot. I put my muzzy on them and looked over all the deer. He was not there. Darn it, it had been more than 40 minutes since I last seen him. The deer now noticed I was there as I begin to frantically glass all the close surrounding areas. They filed over the ridge one by one, he was not with them. I figured I would need to hunt around real slow counting on he was still there. I started by checking the direction I last seen him walking, I picked up three more deer in the other side of the draw at 200 yards but it was not him. I eased to were i could see in the bottom of the draw, and he was not there either. So I decided to go peak into the big canyon the opposite direction of where he was heading when I last seen him. I walked up quietly to the edge of a rock ledge, and when I peaked over I jumped a small 4 point at 10 yards. He ran out of there full speed, I quickly took another step or two. The next deer I seen was the type of buck I have been looking to harvest for the last 30 years. He was feeding but snapped his head up to see what all the commotion was about. He was 40-45 yards broadside. I had my shooting sticks in my left hand extended out for a standing shot, but I felt he would be gone before I could set them in front if me and put the muzzy on them. I decided to just drop them and take a quick snap shot off hand. Well before the shooting sticks hit the the ground I placed the crosshairs on this bucks shoulder and squeezed the trigger. When the smoke cleared, I had a buck of a life time laying there kicking.

BrowningRage

Long Time Member
Thanks for the great write up! It's soo good to hear that good tactics, patience, and as always a little luck, played into this beast of a buck! He is everything I'd ever want in a trophy buck.!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Top Bottom