expensive rifles

elkantlers

Long Time Member
Why would someone pay $5000 plus for a rifle. I guess if you have lots and lots of money you could do it just because. But honestly what makes them worth that kind of money?
I bought a Savage 111 6.5x284 last year and put a pretty decent Vortex scope on in and can get .6" groups with little effort. I am less than $1200 for rifle and scope.

Because they can elkantlers! It's not hard to spend a couple of grand on good setup anymore. I have 2 rifles that I have that kind of money tied up in. They aren't hunting rifles though. they are competition rifles. I've got $2500 in optics alone on each rifle. That being said, my father in law just bought a Remington .308 at Sportsmans for $199. He also put a Vortex scope on it and is into it about $700. I'm not sure why someone would want to carry a $5000 gun on a hunting trip but I have hunted with people that do.

It's always an adventure!!!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-14-14 AT 09:56PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-14-14 AT 09:54?PM (MST)

There are lower end rifles with lower end glass that will still kill a lot of animals. Still, there are reasons that some cost more than others. Low end glass is often fine out of the box, but I found the scopes don't stand up. Higher end glass stands up and gives you a brightness significantly beyond bare eyes at dawn and dusk. My old Savage 110 is a basic rifle that is accurate and has put a lot of meat in the freezer. The barrel has what really counts and the action, while a bit sloppy, seems to be sufficient. That being said it is a moderate Timex compared to some Rolodex's out there. Good enough for me--not for others.

For some shooting is a hobby or a sport. For someone like me, I don't need high end. For some, it makes pretty much a lot of sense. Why do some need a $45,000 truck? I can see someone who needs a lot of truck and a good warranty and who can write the cost off anyway. My most expensive truck to date has been $3500. What I get meets my needs. The $45,000 beast fits another.

I drive a $10k truck instead of a $50k truck and shoot a $6k rifle instead of a $1000 one. Why, I guess because I can afford it, but mostly because its personal preference. Its all relevant man...

I put it like a diamond ring. A small diamond or even no diamond would do but many want and will pay the price for the more desirable and costly products available.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I guess to each his own. I don't fault someone who buys an expensive hunting rifle. I just wonder what that gun has that my savage doesn't, Other than a name. What does the extra $4400+ give you and is it really worth it.

I currently only own two big game rifles, both are customs...one built by RW Hart (Bobby Hart) and the other built by Accurate Ordance. I got a deal on both at seperate times so I don't feel bad about what I paid for them. To answer your question in my case...it's accuracy and the chance to own something built to your needs specifically. By accuracy, I mean constant reliable scary accuracy. You are correct in that it's not needed in most cases as a good worked over factory rifle will delivery good to great accuracy. Maybe I'm a little pig-headed, but I like accuracy and consistency. I've also noticed that a good custom gun built right is easy to develop loads for. My first custom was a 30 Hart built by Bobby Hart (1986 World Open Champion) with his standard hunting load that he developed for it...first 3 shot group out of the gun went .192 @100 yards in a sporter weight barrel (no load development needed there)...the rest is history and I was hooked. My other custom is a 7mm SAUM built around a Model 7 action and a Rock barrel by Accurate Ordance...first time out at the range I had 3 three shot groups with 175 grain Partitions go just under .250 at maximum velocity for the round...that's outstanding accuracy for a Partition. The gun was built around the idea of having a shorter/lighter package like a Remington Sendero I used to own in 7mm Rem Mag but a 1 1/4 less in weight. Turned out great and couldn't be happier. I'm glad you like your Savage and I've owned a few that were very accurate...same with a couple of Remington 700's...sounds like you have a good one there. Hope this gives you some perspective, thanks.

If you don't know what a custom rifle has that a salvage (savage) doesn't, it cannot be explained to you. mtmuley

>If you don't know what a
>custom rifle has that a
>salvage (savage) doesn't, it cannot
>be explained to you. mtmuley
>

Best line I have read in awhile! LOL

I don't have a custom rifle but it's like anything, if you have the money and it makes you happy why not?!?! You only live once.

mtmuley give it a try.

I am not saying they are not extremely nice rifles and super accurate. I just wonder if $4400 dollars more than a Savage, or a winchester or a browning or others, is really gaining you anything of real value in a hunting rifle.

A $600 Savage with .6" groups or a $5000 dollar whatever at .25" groups. which one?

elkantlers, Savages are great for a lot of folks. Some need more. There are rifles that some guys need that are custom and cost in the thousands. Rifles that Savage, Winchester, Remington and others don't produce. I have factory rifles that shoot crazy good. As soon as I can fork out for a custom, I'm damn sure going to. mtmuley

Not all custom guns cost $5000+. Many of the $5000+ are complete rifles setup with ammo and load tested already. These are attractive to many people for numerous reasons.
A custom rifle can be built to whatever needs the customer wants. For me the first and foremost reason for a custom barrel is accuracy. Sure some factory rifles do shoot well but how consistent is it. Also how do they group at say 500 or 700? Also some calibers aren't available in production rifles. I would much rather spend some extra money and buy a nice used custom rifle over a factory rifle.

>mtmuley give it a try.
>
>I am not saying they are
>not extremely nice rifles and
>super accurate. I just wonder
>if $4400 dollars more than
>a Savage, or a winchester
>or a browning or others,
>is really gaining you anything
>of real value in a
>hunting rifle.
>
>A $600 Savage with .6" groups
>or a $5000 dollar whatever
>at .25" groups. which one?
>

A $600 savage without a scope. Hell put a nightforce on it and that's a $2500 rifle now.

Another consideration of logic in the matter is depreciation. Between a 5 or 10k rifle and a 55k truck, in ten years one of them will cost you a lot more than the other and it isn't the rifle. I don't have any real custom guns other than those from the factory custom shop. As with anything in life, you get what you pay for. Quality guns will not cost you like many top end material things in life.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

You need to ask yourself why you care enough to post the question.

I have a friend that is great for asking why others spend money like that or more on guns and gear. I am working up to telling him that with his 3 kids he will spend close to $1,500,000.00 by the time the last one is 18. With that kind of spending spree, 5,000 is nothing in comparison. Spend your money the way you want, just don't spend mine.

I could care less how people spend their money. I was just wondering if the extra money really got you that much better of a rifle.
I would bet there isn't 1 out of 20 people that can shoot to the abilities of their $600 rifles let alone these high dollar rifles. So is it just a bragging thing or do they make you better marksmen?

Yes a better rifle, more accurate, more consistent in lockup, better quality optics, a better crisper trigger, better cut chamber, a better barrel that recoils consistently shot to shot, all these things and more will make you a better marksman. A better grade of wood probably would not, except as to the quality of the bedding.
How much better depends on your level of skill in mastering the basics of shooting. If you buy a well made fairly price $5000 rifle and an mass produced $500-1000 rifle, put the same quality scope on each, and if you practice equally and develop good reloads for each, their will be a noticeable difference in how well they shoot at least at ranges beyond 100 yards. If you don't believe in working at being a great shot say because you believe your a natural born dead eye, then you might not see nearly as much difference.

I just assumed everyone who has been seriously into hunting and shooting for a year or more would know this, so I thought this thread was just a jealousy based semi rant. Sorry I misunderstood.

What is more important than price of the rifle is that the shooter actively tests his equipment and respects the limitations of both himself and the equipment he is shooting. Find your lethal parameters and stick with them. If you want to increase the reach of those parameters you need to change your equipment and training and that could then mean more time and more money.

I couldn't agree more tristate! So many hunters only shoot their rifles or even bows a few times before season and never test beyond 100. I practice year round because I enjoy shooting and tinkering for utmost accuracy.

You could also ask why somebody would drive a Porsche or Aston Martin for $100k+ when you can do a 13 second 1/4 mile in a souped up Honda. Shooting a custom rifle is a different experience, involving much more than just getting a group under 1". Savages are built around the philosophy of good accuracy as cheap as possible. If that's what you're looking for in a hunting rifle then it's a great choice. To each his own...my own are somewhere in between mass produced rifles and customs.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-14 AT 05:13PM (MST)[p]The difference between a $5000 custom rifle and a $1200 production rifle is not very noticable when you are shooting inside 400 yards. As you move out to 1000 yards and beyond, you will began to notice the difference, sometimes in a pretty big way. You are paying for the best trigger, barrel, action, stock, and gunsmithing money can buy. These precision components translate into accuracy at longer ranges.

FYI your savage 6.5-284 is a great rig for long range, and at a great price, however, since I own both a savage and a high dollar custom I can tell you that the trigger breaks so much cleaner on my custom than my savage, the blueprinted action is cleaner and smoother, and the barrel and riflings have been machined to precision.....almost perfection. There is a reason your top winners in F class and long range venues are not using production rifles.

Bottom line, you will never fully appreciate a high dollar custom rifle until you run it up against a production rifle, and frankly your average hunter doesn't need that kind of a rifle to put meat in the freezer.

I bought my first custom 5 years ago (had some extra money). I will never go back, no comparison. I know other factory rigs work fine and can get the job done, just like blue jeans and a flannel shirt work for hunting (I bet you wear camo). For me they are worth every cent. With that being said, what is worth it to me may not be worth it to you.

The bigger question is why do folks running around with rifles that cost several thousand dollars feel vouchers are too high & that hunting is turning into a rich man's sport....... :D

tx_ said, "The bigger question is why do folks running around with rifles that cost several thousand dollars feel vouchers are too high & that hunting is turning into a rich man's sport.

The simple answer is folks might invest in a fine rifle once in their life while having the money to do so but that doesn't mean they are wanting to or even capable of paying thousands to hunt what was, not too long ago, basically a low cost adventure.

My rifles are all Fords and Chevys but some have had upgrades and extras, money well spent.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

All Savage 111's and other production guns shoot .6". If you have one that does hold on to it.

But it really is all about the buyer. If he is happy with the purchase what does it matter what we think.

I have two custom guns. Both built off sako 75 actions in a 300 RUM and a 6.5x284 Norma. The 300 is typically a .48 to .5 inch gun and the 6.5 is typically in the .3 ball park . The fianc? would must likely cry if she knew I had more money in a gun than her ring....

Colorado boy

I have one (1) Custom built rifle that I had built back in 1968 by a Gunsmith who was working on Guam at the time. I was in Vietnam and met him thru a friend. After we talked he asked me what caliber I wanted and told him a .257 Roberts. He thought for a bit then told me how about a Belgium Mauser in 7x57mm.
My friend was with me and said go for it as you will like the round, so I order it then.
So he asked what I wanted and told him I wanted it in a good grade of Walnut stock, if possible, a good "fiddleback grain". Then I said I wanted a roll over cheek piece with Acorn Oak carving in the stock. Also a Rosewood tip on the forearm and same on the pistol grip cap Then wanted a Gold engraved Rams Head on the floor plate.
He asked if I wanted any engraving done, like on the floor plate, trigger guard, receiver and tip of barrel, so I said YES.
He through in engraving on the scope rings later at no cost.
Put a Bushnell 2x7mm scope on it also. I used this rifle later on when I returned home for good to hunt with it each year. I received it from the Gunsmith after a year and was totally surprised at the outcome. To have one built like this have no idea what the cost would be now. Remember this was almost 46 years ago.

Here are a few pictures I took of it a few years back with a newer scope, a Leupold on it now.
The year before I ordered this made, I had my brother back here in home town order me a new Weatherby 300 Mag with a custom Walnut grade stock and a few extra upgrades but nothing like the 7x57. The Weatherby cost me more than the "real" custom the 7x57.
32867x57mauser1.jpg

8677x57mauser2.jpg

87457x57mauser3.jpg

4277x57mauser4.jpg

4805x57mauser.jpg

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

less than $1200 for rifle and scope

That sounds good

Cheap hunting gear - HunterFields.com

>All Savage 111's and other production
>guns shoot .6".

With the proper handload and bedding most will. Straight out of the box? I think most are happy with 1moa at 100 but what does it shoot at 400?500? I personally bed and tune all my factory guns the minute I get them.

A guy can spin together a pretty nice semi-custom for 1200 bucks, scope included..Or buy a nice factory rifle and scope it for the same amount, and a guy that knows his way around said rifle, and has put a little thought in setting it up, will probly be able to hang with much higher end rifles..

but be careful, if you put that much time behind a rifle, you will start to look at things on it as concessions, THATS when you find your wish list edging the 5k mark..most wont scratch that itch for practical reasons, but some do.

What are concessions? Well for me..

On a hunting rifle, I want it fairly light, barrel no more than a #3 on calibers below 7mm, no more than #5 on 30's and up (maker plays a large part here,contours vari).I want it twisted fast(factory rifles are a huge concession here), and throated perfectly to take advantage of the long VLD type bullets, AT MAGAZINE LENGTH,single shots dont interest me.. throat it like that, all other bullets will fall into place, and I have my preferences for the best cut rifled barrels, and they cost what the average run of the mill factory rifle does..

I want a high enough comb to give me a perfect cheek weld to combat parralax, I want that stock to be synthetic fiberglass and tough as nails, it has to be stiff..That'd be McMillan or Manners, which cost more than most guys whole rig..

I want a one piece bolt, with M16 style extraction, CRF is fine, but aint my preference.Flutes are cool too so throw those in there, as well as an oversized bolt handle, 11 degree sweep back too, while we're at it...again, such a bolt costs about as much as a factory rifle.

Action can be aftermarket or a blueprinted factory, you guessed it, that costs money.

Trigger must be perfect, more money.

Scope, I like what I like..If its above 10X, I want it to be FFP,($$) I want low profile turrets, with 10mil or 20moa per rev, with a zero stop and preferably capped windage, with a side focus parallax, and reticle that matches the adjustments, MOA or MIL, illumination is always nice too..It has to be dead nuts repeatable and RTZ cant fluctuate..THere are a few that make such a scope, but most start at 2k and go up..there are acceptations .

All this will sail right over most of your heads, butThe only way to get this, is to build it..That might give the OP a little insight as to why some guys want a 5k rifle..You might show up with your factory rifle and outshoot the high end gun, it happens, most guys build many before they get it right..and if we are talking about the "turn key" long range jobs out there for around the 5k mark, then all we are seeing there is someone trying to buy a free lunch, and they probly cant shoot it fer chit cuz they are in way over their heads.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-14 AT 08:10AM (MST)[p]Because my Surgeon can out shoot anything out there. Period. It is reliable, has top of the line trigger, the rail is intergraded not a separate piece which makes it more accurate, adjustable cheek piece, solid as all hell. I could go on and on.

Go to Surgeonrifles.com and go take a look. I hunt with the Scalpel in a 300 win mag. I have the AI 2.0 collapsable stock which is nice in dense forested areas. It collapses down inside my pack better. I also get a clean, front to back trigger pull with the pistol grip like stock. when im out shooting past 400 yards, shooting in steep areas, rough terrain, bad weather, ect. I want the best. Ive shot just about every rifle under the sun and have grown to appreciate a good high quality rifle that is consistent and works.
Surgeon is that rifle for me. I sold all of my cheap rifles and bought the Surgeon and havent looked back!

More info on the action i have..

All 1086 actions come with a integral .250? recoil lug and 20 MOA 1913 picatinny rail that runs the full length of the action, as well as a side mounted bolt stop that is shrouded to help prevent accidental releasing of the bolt.

In the middle of the left bolt raceway is an anti-jam rail. The purpose of this rail is to prevent a round from lodging in the raceway when single loading the rifle through the ejection/loading port.

The raceway on the right hand side has an anti-bind rail just below the ejection/loading port. The purpose of this rail is to insure smooth bolt operation as the locking lug passes through the loading port.

The 1086 will work in conjunction with any stocks made for the Remington 700 long action with little to no modification. It will also work with these triggers and feeding systems.

If you are happy with a 1" group at 200 yards.. be my guest. But can you put a three round group in one hole in the center of the target consistently? I can with my Surgeon. Yes, it helps I reload and practice alot. It also consistently puts a 1 1/2" group at 600 yards.

3306img_0283.jpg

It seems to be the same with any hobby - the high-end stuff is exciting to the folks that are really into the hobby. I like to cycle, some of my friends ride $14K bikes - seems excessive but they are happy to pay for the best.

I have a custom rifle. my dad used the rifle for probably 30 years and the last few years the stock cracked when I took a fall, and the barrel was shot out. so I bought a new McMillan stock and put a match grade barrel on it. it is on a browning bbr action, and it is a very nice feeling rifle. it has sentimental value as well as a quality feel to it. for me this rifle is probably one of the only rifles I will hunt with for most of my life. I'm sure it will see a few more barrels but I'm so used to the feel and fit that it is all I want. so after I started using it I'm into the rifle for about 1500 for the scope stock and barrel, and say another 500 for the rifle. puts you into a fairly custom hunting rig for around $2000 mabey closer to 2500. I know I could build a lighter, more modern rig but I'm happy with what I have.

Its one of those things once you feel the comfort of a spendy gun you are hooked... I don't have any custom rifles but im happy with my standard guns from $250- 1500 range...

My concern is everyone putting on a fancy scope and blasting 2000 yards.. Rifle hunters sure do worry about bowhunters shooting at 50 yards.... I know I sure as heck cant shoot 2000 yards with my set-ups. I like the challenge of trying to get from 2 miles to a couple hundred yards...... But I do understand some guys are some darn good shooters

Why do people spend money on anything? People spend 5k on wheels for road bikes or a bottle of booze at a trendy bar. Hunting really brings out a lot of jealousy in people.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom