Expo Tag Issue - How to Get Involved

Hawkeye

Long Time Member
In light of the KUTV News story last night, many sportsmen have asked what can I do to get involved? And what can I do to help? Here are a few simple things that anyone can do to help push this toward a resolution:

1. Share a link to the story with friends and family. Share it on social media. Get the word out that there is a problem. Many sportsmen wrongly assume that all of the money raised from the Expo Tags is earmarked for conservation. I have attached a link to the news story here: http://kutv.com/news/local/allegations-of-corruption-surround-utah-hungtin-and-conservation-expo

2. Contact your state legislators ask them to look into this issue. Send them a copy of this story. Ask them to request a legislative audit of the Expo Tag program. Let them know that other legislators are already looking into this problem. Make sure to send them a link KUTV News story. I have included a link to the state?s website to contact your legislators: http://le.utah.gov/documents/find.htm

3. Contact the Governor?s office and ask them to look into this issue. Send them a copy of the KUTV News story: http://www.utah.gov/governor/contact/

4. Send an email to the DWR and the Wildlife Board. I highly doubt that the DWR is going to do anything to remedy this problem given that they just signed a new 5-year agreement with SFW but they still need to hear from us. I sat in a meeting earlier this week with representatives from the DWR and the Governor?s office and they both stated that they assumed sportsmen were happy with the status quo because they have not heard from us. That comment was laughable but perhaps we have not been vocal enough. I have included the email addresses for the DWR and Wildlife Board members:

[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

If you don't use email, pick up the phone and call these folks. If you have time, do both. As you reach out to people and express your concerns, please remember to be polite and professional. Many of us have strong feelings on this issue but there is no value in personal attacks or name calling. Your comments and concerns are much more effective when they are sincere and factual.

Good luck and let your voices be heard.

-Hawkeye-

Thanks for all of the contacts hawkeye. And also thanks to the 2 news reporter last night he went in with an unbiased opinion and did a great job

Thanks for this info. Don't under estimate the power of social media. Lets get the word out and force the state of Utah to take action.

_gloomis

Thanks for the info Hawkeye. I sent the story and my beliefs to all four of my local congressmen last night. Let's make the public outcry too loud for them to ignore.

Grizzly

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-16 AT 10:10AM (MST)[p]Hawkeye, for my information-- are 5013c non-profit orgs required to disclose publicly what they specifically use of their" income" for salaries, meals, trips etc.?
I have seen the reports and audits of the moneys raised from the various Conservation groups and their banquets, fundraisers etc. concerning the permits given to them to auction/raffle. The last audit report that I have seen showed that all monies raised from those events had been accounted for. The money has been used on or would be used on approved conservation projects within the 2 year required time frame. Even the interest earned from those trust accounts were included in the total required to be used on projects.
Each project had a specific name and what its scope was and what it was intended to achieve.

Richard, I am not a tax or non-profit corporation lawyer and don't know the exact answers to your questions about 501(c)(3) organizations. You are correct that the DWR does audit the 90% of the Conservation Permit revenues that are kept by the groups for conservation projects. What we are asking about is the $1 million in application fees that the groups raise from the Expo Tags every year. For the first 6 years, none of the money was accounted for. Since 2013, 30% has been accounted for. Hopefully, that clarifies the issue.

-Hawkeye-

After viewing the story i would love to see what the dollar difference is between the 30& SF&W is giving us and what the 100% number the Elk Foundation offered. Real dollars make a big difference in public awareness.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-16 AT 11:16AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-16 AT 11:15?AM (MST)

>After viewing the story i would
>love to see what the
>dollar difference is between the
>30& SF&W is giving us
>and what the 100% number
>the Elk Foundation offered.
>Real dollars make a big
>difference in public awareness.

Roughly a $750,000 difference in an average years take with the number of chances sold by SFW if the number sold stayed static. Probably a lot more than that with possibly double the number of attendees at an RMEF National Convention if their numbers held up that would increase sales dramatically. That is just the 200 tags money. Then if you talk about if the RMEF got the contract with what they also offered giving back 100% of the profit on the auction tags (SFW gets 10%) and 50% of the profits from the entire convention (SFW gives back 0%) we are talking Utah losing millions of dollars each year by SFW continuing the Expo. Spread that to your friends and neighbors!

I sent an email to Jim Dabakis last night and got a quick response.
I sent an email to Mike Lee and Hatch. Also included all the other legislative bodies today.

Thanks for the links Hawkeye.

Theodore Roosevelt's guidance concerning
conservation...
"The movement for the conservation of wildlife,
and the conservation of all our natural resources,
are essentially democratic in spirit,purpose and
method."

"We do not intend that our natural resources shall
be exploited by the few against the interests of the
majority. Our aim is to preserve our natural
resources for the public as a whole, for the
average man and the average woman who make
up the body of the American people."

"It is in our power...to preserve game..and to give
reasonable opportunities for the exercise of the
skill of the hunter,whether he is or is not a man of
means."

Looks like Gohunt.com is sharing the info online as well. Don't they have a booth at the expo?
http://www.gohunt.com/read/news/utah-division-of-wildlife-under-fire-for-possible-corruption

conservation...
method."

means."

I have been thinking about this issue a lot and the dismissive nature and secretiveness of SFW really disturbs me as a sportsman of Utah.

I think the way we can make to most waves and instigate reform is to organize and not only boycott the expo but boycott any vendor that supports the expo. I realize there are GREAT companies out there that just want to get their product out there. I enjoyed speaking with them at this years expo. However, SFW keeps claiming we should just forget about what's behind the curtain and enjoy the success of the expo. By numbers alone it is successful. That does not change the underlying issue of corruption and obfuscation.

To make a real change we need 10,000 or more writing letters to any business that sponsors or attends the expo. We need to tell them that they will not receive any business from us during that year if they support the expo. Once they withdraw the support, we will do most of our shopping at their business. Imagine if Sportsmen's Warehouse received that many letters and saw a direct loss in revenue that year. They would think twice the next year.

Once enough businesses pull out, SFW, the DWR and our valiant State politicians would need to take a serious look at our concerns because money,or the lack thereof, speaks louder than any letter or email.

As an additional note, I would say we should still put in for the tags if an individual wants too since they are a public resource. We just boycott the Expo and more importantly any business that choose to support this corruption.

>I have been thinking about this
>issue a lot and the
>dismissive nature and secretiveness of
>SFW really disturbs me as
>a sportsman of Utah.

>As an additional note, I would
>say we should still put
>in for the tags if
>an individual wants too since
>they are a public resource.
> We just boycott the
>Expo and more importantly any
>business that choose to support
>this corruption.

Boycotting the Expo is a great thing...Boycotting the companies or writing them letting them know your concerns is great idea!

But to me I would boycott the 200 tags as well as that is where the transparency about the money and concern as to where the money really went is the concern. Why give them any money period? No?

It's tough to boycott a company thats at the expo, the only time I've boycotted a product it the "outdoorsman" they were part of the AZ sfw tag grab. Kuiu makes a killing at the expo, this year I heard they only took off 15 percent.

I will not boycott the companies that are just trying to make a living. It is not their fault in my opinion that SFW and the DWR played this game with the RFP process and the hiding of millions of dollars frpm the convention PUBLIC tags the last 10 years.

>I will not boycott the companies
>that are just trying to
>make a living. It
>is not their fault in
>my opinion that SFW and
>the DWR played this game
>with the RFP process and
>the hiding of millions of
>dollars frpm the convention PUBLIC
>tags the last 10 years.
>

I do not like the idea of boycotting these great innovative companies. I really like seeing the new companies pitching their well thought out products. I especially liked the companies selling their on skull hangers and game bags. These innovators are American heroes in my book. They are taking risks and striving to make themselves better.

By boycotting them we are only recruiting them to our side of this issue. There is another expo in Utah where these companies could go and we should encourage them to go. We should let them know we want to support them but this one issue is more important.

Boycotting works. Frankly, I believe it will be the only thing that will work at this time because this corrupt system is apparently very intertwined with our elected officials and they do not want to expose themselves. Not attending is a start but we have to put temporary pressure on the revenues coming in through sponsors.

Trying to drive companies that go to the expo out of business to effect SFW, is like trying to fix the wolf problem by killing all the deer and elk so the wolf dies of starvation.
A LOT of people will be hurt long before you get those tags back.

Not attending the expo, or applying for the tags.....so be it, but don't try to destroy peoples lives in an effort to force them to see things your way. Just not cool.

It would be interesting to know how many people who are pissed over those 200 tags and rip into SFW, MDF and DWR here on the site or elsewhere, attended the expo and applied for the tags. I'd bet more than half of them. Probably 80%+.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook!

Founder,

I bet your close on your %. I am like others that have said that they are public tags/Public assets, so I will apply. I did this year, but I really think I will be changing that this next year. I did not go into the doors for the 1st time and I REALLY wanted to shoot the archery course. My good friend is the one that sets that up, Sean D. I even told him why I wasnt coming and he understands. But I support him at other events, just not at the expo. I am like you on this, dont boycott some of these companies just because. That affects alot more like families. But letting them know by letters is a good way.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-29-16 AT 03:22PM (MST)[p]>Trying to drive companies that go
>to the expo out of
>business to effect SFW, is
>like trying to fix the
>wolf problem by killing all
>the deer and elk so
>the wolf dies of starvation.
>
>A LOT of people will be
>hurt long before you get
>those tags back.
>
>Not attending the expo, or applying
>for the tags.....so be it,
>but don't try to destroy
>peoples lives in an effort
>to force them to see
>things your way. Just not
>cool.
>

>It would be interesting to know
>how many people who are
>pissed over those 200 tags
>and rip into SFW, MDF
>and DWR here on the
>site or elsewhere, attended the
>expo and applied for the
>tags. I'd bet more than
>half of them. Probably 80%+.
>
>
>Brian Latturner
>MonsterMuleys.com
>LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook!

I didn't this year for but have in the past. If this situation gets taken care of like it should I will again

My post was not meant to or imply that people should boycott these expo businesses. I asked because I've seen Gohunt.com at previous expos.
What's different is these businesses or most of them have a product to sell. They are just simply trying to make a living.

My main reason for posting is to make others aware that the expo debacle is going viral. Eastmans on FB has posted the story as well.
I encourage everyone to keep informing others about what is happening.
Hopefully someone can begin a serious investigation into it all.
Enjoy

conservation...
method."

means."

>Trying to drive companies that go
>to the expo out of
>business to effect SFW, is
>like trying to fix the
>wolf problem by killing all
>the deer and elk so
>the wolf dies of starvation.
>
>A LOT of people will be
>hurt long before you get
>those tags back.
>
>Not attending the expo, or applying
>for the tags.....so be it,
>but don't try to destroy
>peoples lives in an effort
>to force them to see
>things your way. Just not
>cool.
>
>It would be interesting to know
>how many people who are
>pissed over those 200 tags
>and rip into SFW, MDF
>and DWR here on the
>site or elsewhere, attended the
>expo and applied for the
>tags. I'd bet more than
>half of them. Probably 80%+.
>
>
>Brian Latturner
>MonsterMuleys.com
>LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook!

Not buying from companies that sponsor SFW is not the same as trying putting them out of business. It is just sending a message and giving the business a choice. They have other avenues and expo/conventions to hawk there wares and services. There was an expo in Provo last weekend where they could go instead.

Until real message is sent to the DWR, SFW, and MDF in the form of no community support we will only continue to get the same results. The by-line from SFW from this convention has been "look how the attendance and sponsors have grown every year as a measure of success and support". Until attendance and sponsors cease to support the expo, it will continue as is.

I did attend this year, but it was the first I have attended and will be the last. I like expos because of the contact with outdoors people. I wish we didn't have this issue , but until we do something concrete, I doubt even the most recent news story will prompt much change.

Myself and Littlebuck didnt attend this year because of the issues surrounding it. We have expressed our concerns to quite a few of the expo vendors.It was kind of a bitter sweet thing for us, it was our big "Date night",(over 30 years now), we always spent a lot of money (a lot to us) there. last year, for the first time, we rode the Train from Provo and then a bus. After we took a Taxi to dinner and then back to the Train Station. If I remember right we spent about $100 each towards Hunts and about$250 to the vendors. So a total of $450 at the expo and about $150 to SLC. I know they didnt miss us. But we felt better spending our money with the same vendors just not at the expo. This year we went to Dinner at sizzle, too shooting ranges,Shot over 150 rnds each. And she bought me a new glock 23, so i guess i didnt miss the expo much at all.

So what happens if the state looks into this and decides everything is on the up and up?

What do y'all whine about then?

Thanks Hawkeye, for all of the effort you have put into trying to get accountability and transparency from SFW. Also for leading the charge to get sportsmen organized in a way that hopefully will be the beginning of the end of a corrupt SFW. I will be emailing my reps, governors office, and wildlife board.

I had gone to the previous 3 expos. But I boycotted this last one after the contract bid. That was the final straw that broke the camels back.
I probably averaged 100-200 dollars per year at the expo. 100$ on tags, 100$ on vendors. I won't include my regular lunch at crown burger. I gotta eat anyways.

But this year, that 200$ will go toward my Nonresident Wyoming deer tag.
Sorry Utah and a middle finger to SFW.
Not getting another dime from me.

conservation...
method."

means."

LAST EDITED ON Feb-29-16 AT 10:17PM (MST)[p]Everyone mark down December 1-10 and attend the RMEF expo in Vegas. Spend your money there next year instead of on a tag you'll never draw and money you'll never see a return on.

Thanks Hawkeye for keeping sportsman divided. It is important we focus on petty differences and untruths instead of battling forces that are out to put a end to hunting.
You make it sound like the RMEF is the patron saint of Wildlife conservation and have never been involved in any public controversy. How many conservation dollars are spent producing the TV show? For the record I'm not a SFW member and I'm a member of RMEF.
Its also odd the haters always leave the MDF out of this equation, Its all SFW.
I've said this once I'll say it again. I travel Utah, Colorado, & Wyoming in my work travels. I wish Wyoming has 1/10 of the habitat, highway fencing, or predator control projects that Utah has going on. I don't know how there paying for it but if habitat is the issue Utah will have it resolved in a decade or two. Utah is light years ahead of other Western states.

One of my buddies has drawn 3 expo tags over the years. My step-brothers best friend drew a Pauns. archery deer this year. So...........
People do draw. I haven't, but I know part of the reason why.

if people actually took your suggestion Oneye, my odds would sure improve. I'd even go down there and apply next year. But I doubt they will.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-29-16 AT 11:55PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-29-16 AT 11:51?PM (MST)

I'll be headed to RMEFs expo next year. It's not worth drawing a tag to support a group that has closed its books that are 100% funded by public property. 100% of the money gained from public property should be 100% accounted for, period. I went to the expo the last few years but didn't go this year and won't be going again until they account for 100% of the money or the group in charge changes. Plus Vegas is more fun anyway... Less religion based laws there!

PS- I want the expo to succeed, I want it to be an amazing event for our economy, wildlife, and sportsmen, which is exactly why I feel the way I do. As of now, we are not fully benefitting from what could be an amazing event.

As a NR, I have gone to the last 4 or 5 Expo's and spent $ on hotels, food, etc. and this year will be my last unless something changes dramatically which is extremely unlikely. Like others have said, unless those of us that disagree with the fundamental issues stop contributing, our voices won't mean much. I'll miss seeing friends and all the cool stuff but I'll find other things to do with my money in the future.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom