Expo Tag!!

Stubaby

Very Active Member
Guess I won't be burning my elk points this fall. I've never set foot on the unit but it's going to be fun either way.

196413218e6ba02624a89bbc93ad769e612a3.jpeg

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

www.cloverleafrifles.com

https://youtu.be/l3xHt-xeNYw

Hey Bess, wanna come? I need someone to hold my ammo so I don't shoot the first raghorn I see!!!

I know this is typical but if anybody has any information, pics, blah, blah.........

I'm in Richfield and Loa all the time for work so I'll get to know the unit well enough. Not sure what to expect size wise but if he's over 330 and is under 500 yards he's in twubble!!!!!

www.cloverleafrifles.com

Congrats!! That will be a fun hunt for ya-we used to bowhunt that unit a lot for deer. Great country.

I think your 330 mark is realistic & a good approach for this unit. Good luck!

Congrats that tag at the expo auction went for 50,000 dollars. There must be something good out there. Although it was a rifle tag I think.

>Congrats that tag at the expo
>auction went for 50,000 dollars.
>There must be something good
>out there. Although it was
>a rifle tag I think.
>

The multi-season Fish Lake tag went for 16k not 50k. Either way, it'll be a fun hunt. You SUCK and yes I'm ridiculously jealous.

www.utahscoutingservices.com

Oh I was thinking you where Chris Hickman. The top of your picture, Not Stu. I get it now. I am going up in the morning if want to start some early season scouting. You need to stop by and see me on the Fish lake. You will be driving by me a lot. I am going to hunt the three season elk hunt up there this year. :) :)

I say put in for whatever tag you want. Then decide if you end up drawing.If you don't want to get behind on your elk points put in for a elk point.

You can still put in for elk. If you draw you get to choose between that tag and the expo tag. Says on the expo website

I understand but who in thier right mind would choose another elk tag if drawn? These expo tags are ?House Money?.

What I mean is that if I want to keep my 13 elk points for say Wasatch late next year and I put in for deer right now and I draw an LE deer tag.....can I have both an LE deer and LE elk tag in the same year.

Either way I'm adding a deer point this year since I can only put in for one LE species at a time now that I'm a Utah resy again.

I still can't believe I drew. I'm not friends with mossback, the lemons, austads or nothin!!!! : )

www.cloverleafrifles.com

Congrats on winning the lottery!! I have gone to every expo expect one and have never had any luck. so thats why I was referring to the lottery. :)

As for the tag question. No you can not have two LE tags in the same year, unless they were the same species then you would have to pick one hunt over the other.

I would just apply for the point this year and go have a blast on the fishlike early rifle hunt, there are some great bulls on the unit if you put your time in to find them.

Good Luck!! and Congrats again.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-18 AT 10:54AM (MST)[p]So if you have 13 elk points now, I'm guessing you have few or zero for deer and you're thinking of applying for deer to start building points since you hit the lottery on elk? If you're just starting on deer, the difference between zero and one is pretty much nothing but the difference between 13 and 14 elk next year might give you options as far as units. There's a bunch of muzzle and late elk options.
I wish I could say I feel bad for you and your free tag dilemma, but I don't:)

I have the following points fot Utah.

13 elk
13 moose
9 deer
7 mtn goat
9 desert sheep
8 rocky sheep
4 bison

It really helps to move out of state for 10 years then move back. : )

I was planning on burning my elk points and getting back into the deer game.

I'll just get s deer point this year and burn the elk next year. I'd rather hunt deer anyway.

www.cloverleafrifles.com

I'm going to make this a journal-type thread. I hope it doesn't get redundant but I like it when others do.

I had to go to Utah?s Dixie this week for work. After hours I was able to call in a big male coyote and he stopped at 65 yards just in time for a 55 grain V-max to day night-night. Imo a charging yote is about as fun as it gets.

81291d9ab173e67b745e986837070de9f7bf4.jpeg

On the way home I ran over to Loa to meet up with a customer. The gas station there has about 8-9 bulls in the wall. Kind of like the gas stations in Nephi and Cove Fort but elk.

Here?s a picture of the bottom of the unit after a snow band moved through.

Green Day had it all wrong with their dumb song......it should go ?wake me up when September begins?.

90810274add803f764745bfd5af0609070f3e.jpeg

www.cloverleafrifles.com

Here's some scouting videos.

The two top bulls would be shooters for me.

this would be a hard one to pass for me

this is in the top 3 that I've seen. Those 6 brows are awesome!!

heres a good up and comer

the bull on the left I would hammer. the middle bull has a goofy main beam.

either of these two would be going down

another up and comer

this is one of my top three bulls I love the bladed 4ths

www.cloverleafrifles.com

Looks like you've got a good bunch to choose from. I'm a big fan of the six brow bull, that thing is awesome! Good luck!

the six brow point bull also has devil points and looks like his right main beam may splint on the end. He might be a 8x9 bull when done. Has mass and character for sure. get some video after he rubs if you can.
Thanks for sharing.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-13-18 AT 05:18PM (MST)[p]Good job on the scouting, great videos! I too love the triple brow Bull, and the bladed Bull. The trick now is to relocate them after the start rutting, sometimes those buggers can move miles seemingly overnight. If you saw any big groups of cows, I;d check there is the Bulls disappear later.

2a0fcsk.gif

A few really good bulls in these videos. Good luck getting one down! Hope to see a big boy posted up here soon.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-18 AT 10:22PM (MST)[p]Stubaby, them are some sweet bulls you've located!!! My 12 year old killed a 347 bull last year on that unit. They disappear come rut time and move like crazy!! Good luck!

I hunted the Fisklake 7 years ago on a muzzy tag. What a fun hunt. Lots of the big bull were already done from the rifle hunters but it was still a great hunt.

Good Luck stu!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

>
>Bess I thought you were coming?
>
>
>Don?t you usually make a cameo
>in hunts like this or
>is there an expensive appearance
>fee?
>
>
>
>"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"
>
>www.cloverleafrifles.com
>
>https://youtu.be/l3xHt-xeNYw

Wished I Could!

But already gotta make an appearance on another Hunt!

Most of the 'appearance's' came with a fee!:D:D:D

Gotta make an appearance down there at Fish Lake with BIGJOHN when it works out!

He's gonna show me what a 'MACK ATTACK' is all about on Fish Lake!

Best of Luck on your Hunt Stu!

I've enjoyed this thread. The Fishlake is a special place but like BigJohnT has said in the past, "There are no big bulls on Fishlake... nor big Macks!" I wish you the best of luck and continue to keep us posted. Maybe I'll run into you down there.

Had an afternoon to kill so I went down and found 7 bulls in the trees. These two bigger bulls were sparring for a good hour!!! I'm about 1500 yards but you get the idea.

Cool to see all he bulls sizing each other up before the big dance!!!!

I'm sure I got the chronological order messed up but I'm too lazy to change them

12 more days....................

www.cloverleafrifles.com

>BIGJOHNT is correct....no big bulls and
>no big mac's.
>We already shot 'me and
>caught 'em..lol

Come on rick!

You didn't even Save me a PISSCUTTER Mack?

I saw Stubaby Friday night before the opening morning hunt. He agreed with me. He couldn't find any bulls on the unit. We need to get u up there Bessy so Rick can show you how to catch a Mac. I just pulled my boat out of the water today. But it's still up there. I also meet Rick from Yorba Linda California. His name is the middle one from the first post. He is a Hunt?n Fool. ?

Thanks to bigjohnt for all the pointers. He?s the Fishlake scuttlebut. Everyone knows him and he knows the unit better than anyone. I got up there Wednesday night and the bulls were not where they'd been all summer. Even two weeks ago. I was told that.

I decided to join the $hit show opening morning after helping an archery hunter on Friday.

I went back down Monday morning to a place I'd been once. I saw two spikes. At 9:30 John and I were on the phone and he said to try a place about a mile away. I thought the morning was over but he said it was worth a try.

After I parked the atv I heard a bugle about 1/4 mile up the hill. The wind was in my face and consistent so I went for it. There seemed to be four different bulls making noise. I was cow calling and bugling the best I could. I had a mouth reed call but no bugle tube.

I heard a bull make my way to my right but I new he was going to wind me and he did. The other bulls were still above me. I was how about a half mile up the hill. The aspens were starting to give way to more pines and blow down.

After another sequence of cow calls I could tell a bul was coming my way. One last check of the wind and my hopes actually got up.

He came to about 40 yards and stared raking a tree. I could just see the tree shaking and his legs. I knelt down and too my pack off. Jacked a round in and put the safety on.

I wasn?t sure what to do with him so close so I looked backward and put my hand over my mouth and let a soft cow call. He let out a deep chuckle and started walking directly to me with this head back. Drool was coming off his chin and he was surely thinking he was a cool dude.

I put my rifle up and he was around 10 yards. I should have just sent one at the middle of the neck but he was going up and down through the blowdown I just didn't want to mess him up.

The tree to my left was about as big as a normal Christmas tree. He turned to my left to go around the tree and I knew he was going to wind me so I basically shoved my barrel through the pine tree and shot his front left shoulder.

At this point I could tell that he was actually a six point. He started crashing down the hill and about 150 yards away there was no more noise. After about 5 minutes I was thinking how cool it would have been to have a first time hunter or cameraman with me.

He couldn't have been more than ten feet when I pulled the trigger. On my way down the hill I didn't even have my gun chambered or I'm my hand.

I bumped him once so I backed out. Called some friends and johnt. I went back in a few hours later and found him.

There were bigger bulls in the unit but he still scores 317.

I'm super happy with him. Here?s some pics.

90297ca1bfe1e185f4669a24d12e6a882a2be.jpeg

6749250b73fc4a22c452c8d38bcd8edb38b8b.jpeg

26697da17af0f38e4826bc1bc8ed48d060c7.jpeg

62140be27fcccb3334708a7d275f1246f1f66.jpeg

715187474b7eb36df453c91c442d23de35247.jpeg

535777bd50f0f76624f8dbcd965803fa1ed7e.jpeg

www.cloverleafrifles.com

Nice Job Stu!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-18-18 AT 09:38PM (MST)[p]Congrats on your bull. But now we can't hunt anymore. Tell us more about your long range 10 foot rifle. And those great Honaday eldx bullets. Did you find the bullet ?

Let's just say I'll be going back to 160 accubonds in my 7 mag and not the 162 eldx any more. I'll leave it at that.

I am in no way wanting to start an argument but I would like to here about the ELD-X performance... You can PM me if you prefer...

Great bull by the way!

Congrats on the tag and the Bull!! I enjoyed the way you did the story, we got to enjoy the whole experience, thanks, well done!

Nicely done! I won't lie though, I feel like a little kid getting ripped off with a short bed time story. That was too quick. I want a longer story ;)

I don't think there is any other quality
so essential to success of any kind as the
quality of perseverance. It overcomes
almost everything, even nature.
-John D. Rockefeller

>Nicely done! I won't lie though,
>I feel like a little
>kid getting ripped off with
>a short bed time story.
> That was too quick.
>I want a longer story
>;)
>
>
>I don't think there is any
>other quality
>so essential to success of any
>kind as the
>quality of perseverance. It overcomes
>
>almost everything, even nature.
>-John D. Rockefeller

If Stu won't fill you in with more of the story. Come by the cabin I will. ???? Lets just say having a bull at ten feet Stu got pretty excited ???? But really there is so much more. Stu started scouting like before the snow was off the mountain.

I will say this....nobody knows the unit better than me now who had never been on it up until this spring.

What I mean is that I put my time in. I had people point me in the right direction but other than the 1000 lakes side there's barely a mile of road that Yamaha kodiak and his four bald tires hasn't covered. I went up on Wednesday night the 12th. My buddy Steve flew down from Billings to be along for the ride. We got down to camp around midnight.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2018/20756d3331848679d47918e0fb3e633f4be72.jpeg

It was a rough camp. Cold fridge. Generators, beds, stove, microwave, ect.

Plus it was about 300 yards off the pavement. : )

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd!?

www.s2outdoor.com
www.tojagrid.com

I still need to stop by your cabin BIGJOHNT. Seems like I drive by it every time you're not there. I used to go skinny-dippin' out front in your Spring fed ponds until you posted them with NO TRESPASSING signs and put the electric fence up to keep me out ;)

I really enjoyed the write-up Stu along with your video footage. I love that place. Thanks for letting us follow along and congrats on a great bull!

>I still need to stop by
>your cabin BIGJOHNT. Seems like
>I drive by it every
>time you're not there.
>I used to go skinny-dippin'
>out front in your Spring
>fed ponds until you posted
>them with NO TRESPASSING signs
>and put the electric fence
>up to keep me out
>;)

BIGJOHN did Mention the Water had a Funny Taste to it before He put the HOT Wire up!:D

>
>I really enjoyed the write-up Stu
>along with your video footage.
> I love that place.
> Thanks for letting us
>follow along and congrats on
>a great bull!
>

Great bull you got there! Congratulations. Way to get after it hard and get it done. Good stuff.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom