Extended Archery Elk above Bountiful, Utah?

sharpshinned

Hi all, a friend of mine is wanting to get into bowhunting (he is 45). I'm trying to keep him close to his home (Bountiful, Utah) to start. Are there any elk above Bountiful? I thought I'd have him buy an archery elk tag OTC so I could help him hunt the extended for elk (deer tags are sold out.) Don't want specifics just curious about the overall population up there. Any general suggestions would be greatly appreciated for getting eyes on some elk for the extended.

Last edited:
What kind of shape are ya’ll in?!

I wouldn’t want to kill a big bodied elk anywhere up there in that steep oak jungle!

You must have access to a helicopter!

I grew up in Bountiful and spent a lot of time on the extended unit in Davis County. The only elk I have seen were near the top (even after the snow gets deep). I have even seen moose lower on the mountain than the elk.

I have hunted this area for many years and during hunting season and with a tag in my pocket I would say I’ve seen less then 30 elk in all those years. Driving further to different areas would likely be more rewarding for most people considering this area for elk but I must like to torcher myself because I keep trying my luck at some point in the area year after year. I see more elk in other areas of the state in one day than in a lifetime in this area. Sorry for the bad report but it is not easy up there. Good luck.

If you want to just introduce your friend to bowhunting elk, why not take him an hour south to hunt a spike/cow during the regular archery hunt? There are lots more elk in the Wasatch/Manti area and he maybe have chances at taking one.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom