Extra week for Utah archery elk

elkantlers

Long Time Member
I haven't noticed an increase in the amount of bulls hitting the dirt for the archers now that they have the extra week in the peak of the rut.

How long until we start hearing the whining for another week for the LE archery elk hunters?

Are you an archery hunter? Or are you a whining rifle hunter that can't kill an elk with a gun unless they are rutting :)? I assume you know the best time to hunt elk with a bow is not the peak of the rut when the big bulls have 30 cows with them (in my opinion of course)? It does make them more vulnerable to the rifle hunters as they are very vocal. I think most of the archery hunters, including myself have the opinion that if they moved the rifle hunt out of the rut, it would lower the success which would allow the DWR to give out more tags to the primitive weapon hunts and increase opportunity to draw..... not to make the archery hunt more successful.

Both elk and deer archery hunts in utah are to long. they get harassed for a whole month and its out of control. they need to shorten the hunts or lower the number of archery tags in utah.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-14-10 AT 02:41PM (MST)[p]>I haven't noticed an increase in
>the amount of bulls hitting
>the dirt for the archers
>now that they have the
>extra week in the peak
>of the rut.
>

Peak of the rut your Red Eye!!!!

The extra week doesnt really do crap for archery hunters in the LE units since they opened up the LE hunts to Cow and spike hunters to every tom di ck an harry!!!! By the time the extra week comes around all the bulls have had so much pressure that they know to stay away! Just my .02.

YOUR FAT!! DON'T TRY AND SUGAR COAT IT OR YOU WILL EAT THAT TOO!!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-14-10 AT 03:52PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-14-10 AT 03:28?PM (MST)

>Both elk and deer archery hunts
>in utah are to long.
>they get harassed for a
>whole month and its out
>of control. they need to
>shorten the hunts or lower
>the number of archery tags
>in utah.

Thats funny you say that cause there are still less archery tags given out compared to rifle tags and rifles tags still kill more number of deer and elk every year.

These are the elk numbers from the DWR website
Archery- 33.68% Avg # of tags per unit 25.76
Early Rifle- 79.29% Avg # of tags per unit 46.44
Late Rifle- 74.65% Avg # of tags per unit 22.65
Muzzy- 70.57% Avg # of tags per unit 15.9

Wa wa wa.... The rut isn't on yet, its getting warmed up but this year will be great for rifle hunters. Bad for archery hunters. the weather varies from year to year, I like the season dates where they are.

I don't know where your figuring archery hunters are as successfull as rifle. I'd be tagged out 5 different times this year if I had a rifle. But I'm not.... Hence the longer season dates! Hmmm go figure...

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

'I have noticed more elk hitting the dirt' - sounds like solid research to me. I think that is called unreliable empirical data.

yea im just talking about all the pressure on the animal during the archery hunt. if the spike, big bull and deer werent going on all at the same time the numbers would go up. the state wide archery spike hunt has hurt the big bull hunters big time.

The reason the archery guys argued for the extra week was because they said they wanted to hunt the peak of the rut. They all wanted an extra week so that the archery success would go UP and the ANY weapon hunt would be moved out of the rut.

I agree with whoever said the rut is not the best time to get the big herd bulls, too many eyes, ears and noses protecting him. I like the pre rut when they are still in small bachelor groups. They are much easier to approach, but harder to locate.

I was just wondering when the ANY weapon guys would start to get bashed because the ANY weapon guys got the best time again and the archery guys feel they got screwed.

P.S, I do hunt archery. I just feel like the archery groups that went after the extra week did nothing but whine, and didn't really help the archers much.

I don't think we got screwed. I like the archery dates but it really doesn't make any sense to have the highest success weapon during the rut. Do we really need 90% success on these hunts? Of course we do... That way the tags can sell for $40k. Is 90% success good for the bull population? Is 90% success good for overall oppurtunity? The rifle hunt needs moved out of the rut. Put it behind the MZ hunt. If you can't kill a bull with a rifle in October, you have a problem. Give more people a chance to draw a tag. Less success on the rifle hunt = more oppurtunity.

Whining? Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me. I don't call it whining at all. BOU and UBA lobbied to provide a week of solitude (similar to your rifle hunters 10 days) without all of the other competition. The rifle hunters get 10 days without other hunters so why shouldn't the archery guys get 7? Have you ever been on a bow hunt on the Wasatch or Manti? Starting the 3rd week in August (it was 97 degrees on opening day this year)you have spike and cow elk hunters, general archery hunters (sold out tags), and after September 1st you have grouse hunters. PLUS, you have the last big camping weekend of the year (Labor Day) thrown right into the middle of it all. Now you tell me who's whining! You've got no case at all brother! Go do your, not sure what you call it but I'm going to call it, WHINING somewhere else.

It's always an adventure!!!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-15-10 AT 07:31AM (MST)[p]elkantlers

I don't see what your talking about. The only thing they did was cut the spike hunting off a week before the big bull guys they say its to let them hunt by them selves. which is true that there are no spike hunters, but what about all the deer hunters that are still out there. I know that were i hunt deer I always run into big bull hunters. what about all the guys that are out there scouting for the rifle and muzzy hunts.

I am having a blast chasing deer and elk with a bow. I am being more selective on what type of buck I want, and I haven't had the right shot pan out for a bull yet. I have stayed out of areas where LE hunters are so they can enjoy their hunt. I have even shown them where I have seen some good bulls.
I just wish all of us "hunters" would be less opinionated on each other..I switched from the rifle hunts to the bow hunt just because I can hunt more often..I agree take the whining somewhere else..

How about the Muzz hunt; maybe we could camplain about that for a while. I think we have about worn out the archery and rifle.....

>LAST EDITED ON Sep-15-10
>AT 07:31?AM (MST)

>
>elkantlers
>
>I don't see what your talking
>about. The only thing they
>did was cut the spike
>hunting off a week before
>the big bull guys they
>say its to let them
>hunt by them selves. which
>is true that there are
>no spike hunters, but what
>about all the deer hunters
>that are still out there.
>I know that were i
>hunt deer I always run
>into big bull hunters.
>what about all the guys
>that are out there scouting
>for the rifle and muzzy
>hunts.

The LE archery elk guys got an extra week this year. The hunt in the past ended the same time as the general archery spike tag did this year.

Awbull, That argument never did hold water with me. The guys that apply for the LE archery tags know what the hunt is going to be like going into it. If archers don't want to hunt when in is 90 deg or on Labor Day weekend they should have applied for the ANY weapon hunt with the Later hunt date.

+1 The muzz hunters are the ones that get screwed. The shortest season and starts after only a 1 day break from the rifle hunt.

>+1 The muzz hunters are the
>ones that get screwed.
>The shortest season and starts
>after only a 1 day
>break from the rifle hunt.
>

I'll agree with you that it starts after the rifle hunt that sucks. Rifle and Muzzy are the same number of days. 8 days long. muzzy starts after a 2 day break and is in the tail of the rut ya you are getting screwed. well at leased this year. next year looks to be just the opposite muzzy first by its self and then rifle following. its about time they pull there head out of there azz and put archery and muzzy in the peak of the rut instead of the rifle.

I just finished up with my monroe archery LE elk hunt and I can attest that this year's hunt dates made all the difference in the world. Seems like last years hunt ended around the 10th and it wasn't until the 10th that they really started bugling this year so a lot of guys that drew last year probably never got to chase bugles and/or get any pre-rut action. Why Utah gives rifle hunters peak rut is beyond me. Let the primitive weapons split prime time then turn it over to the rifle hunters. Call a bull into 20 yards and shoot it with a 300RUM--give me a break!

I just finished up with my monroe archery LE elk hunt and I can attest that this year's hunt dates made all the difference in the world. Seems like last years hunt ended around the 10th and it wasn't until the 10th that they really started bugling this year so a lot of guys that drew last year probably never got to chase bugles and/or get any pre-rut action. Why Utah gives rifle hunters peak rut is beyond me. Let the primitive weapons split prime time then turn it over to the rifle hunters. Call a bull into 20 yards and shoot it with a 300RUM--give me a break!

+1 quickdrawkinker!!! Rifle Hunting Bulls at 25 yards sounds more like a shoot, not a HUNT!!

>Whining? Sounds like the pot
>calling the kettle black to
>me. I don't call
>it whining at all.
>BOU and UBA lobbied to
>provide a week of solitude
>(similar to your rifle hunters
>10 days) without all of
>the other competition. The
>rifle hunters get 10 days
>without other hunters so why
>shouldn't the archery guys get
>7? Have you ever
>been on a bow hunt
>on the Wasatch or Manti?
> Starting the 3rd week
>in August (it was 97
>degrees on opening day this
>year)you have spike and cow
>elk hunters, general archery hunters
>(sold out tags), and after
>September 1st you have grouse
>hunters. PLUS, you have
>the last big camping weekend
>of the year (Labor Day)
>thrown right into the middle
>of it all. Now
>you tell me who's whining!
> You've got no case
>at all brother! Go
>do your, not sure what
>you call it but I'm
>going to call it, WHINING
>somewhere else.

+1 AWHOLELOTTABULL

They have no idea what it is like trying to hunt deer and elk with a bow while every TDnH is out there camping, shooting rifles, hunting grouse, riding machines, scouting for rifle season, riding horses, etc.

This last weekend was pretty much a joke with the Grouse hunters and the elk are not really doing much rutting yet up north.

Makes for some pretty tough hunting conditions and is part of the reason the success rates differ so much as well.

>+1 The muzz hunters are the
>ones that get screwed.
>The shortest season and starts
>after only a 1 day
>break from the rifle hunt.
>

I was just kidding lol.... there are challenges to all hunts.

If the hunt seasons are one of your biggest complaints in life, i don't think you have it too rough!

elkantlers,

You are entitled to your own opinion and that's just fine. You can think what you want, but get your facts straight.

Bowhunters did not get an extra week to hunt elk. They cut the spike hunters short. Same dates as always, just the spike cow hunters got shortened up a week. Look it up in the RAC minutes or WB minutes. The hunt has the appearance of being longer due to the calendar flipping over. In 6 years it will be over a week sooner.

Bowhunters should know what they are getting into when they draw. A tough hunt with the chance at a magnificent bull.

To come on here badmouthing other hunters due to weapon choice is nothing but ignorant.

Good luck to all you out there with a tag regardless of weapon type. I wish you the best and a hunt to remember forever!!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-15-10 AT 08:15PM (MST)[p]+1 Arch36454646464....

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

First off I hunt with all three weapons depending on the year
So let me ask you die hard archery hunter this.
What if we switch the archery and rifle date around
(rifle Aug 21-SEP17 and the archery SEP 18-SEP26)
Then you cant complane about not hunting in the rut
Or would you then Complane the rifle hunters have to long to hunt

id just like one season and let people decide what weapon they want to use. It doesnt take a great archer to kill a bull on a limited entry unit. It would be a no-brainer to kill a bull with your bow even during the rifle hunt. And that includes herd bulls. I have called MANY bulls into easy bow range during the rifle hunt. I just cant see why there needs to be a separate season. Wait your turn to get a tag and take whatever weapon makes you happy and go get it done. I dont see why archers deserve any more tags than muzzy hunters. I hunt archery, but I am often ashamed to admit it.

Put it this way never-satisfied, if the rifle guys can't kill a good bull on a LE unit with the days they have now, just quit hunting because it isn't gonna happen ever. I have been out looking since July. I'm not exagerating when I say that I could have closed the deal on a 300+ bull every time out with a rifle. Most days out I could have closed a deal on a 330 bull or better. Rifle guys don't need extra days. You can't compare difficulty with the weapons. By far the archery hunt is tougher, next is the ML hunt and then finally the "gimme" for rifle hunters. JMO.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-15-10 AT 11:20PM (MST)[p]I agree with you 100% AWHOLELOTTABULL the length of the season for the rifle hunt is just fine and I don't here any rifle hunters complaining about that

But as a archerey hunter(1/2 of the time) I can also agree with ELKANTLERS the archerey season is just to long

Where you wrong is saying the muzzeloader LE elk hunt is easier then the archery LE elk hunt they go after every one and finding bulls post-rut is much harder then pre-rut

I'm all for moving the dates around but the season lengths need to be adjusted as well

P.S if you are going to spend 15 years to draw a tag I'm all for someone wanting it to be what you call a gimme hunt

Did everybody forget that the archery guys didn't get an extra week???? Seriously! The dates changed due to how the Saturdays lined up. But the season is just as long as it has been for years. Only difference it the dates fell on a later start and finish and the spike/cow hunters had a week shorter hunt. Of course all the rifle guys are now out scouting during that week of no cow/spike hunters.

Archery hunters do deserve more time. I don't care who you are it is tough! You have way more things to consider than with a rifle and literally to get a shot everything has to line up just right. I was out 15 days hunting hard prior to taking my bull this year. I had a lot of close calls, but either got winded or just didn't get shots because of brush or being in the wrong spot when the opportunity was there. Every one of those days I could have easily dropped the hammer on a 350+ bull with a rifle. The game changes immensely when you have to get under 60 yards without being heard, smelled or seen.

You can go ahead and stop being a douche bag now that I helped you see this more clearly. LMAO.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-16-10 AT 07:50AM (MST)[p]The most effective weapon should not be when the elk are most vulnerable. What kind of sense does that make?!!!!!! How do rifle hunters justify hunting them during the rut then complain and whine about the archery hunters having a problem with it? Do you guys really need to hunt them with the most effective weapon when they are most vulnerable? GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK!!!! You can't hunt them in October like every other state in the west? You really need the rut to ensure your success? It wouldn't take 15 years to draw a tag if they moved the hunt out of the rut and were able to give out more tags because the hunt wasn't 90% success. Bash on archery hunters all you want. An archery hunt during the rut is not anywhere near 90% success. It is a very tough hunt. I would like to know how many archery bashers on here have actually killed a mature bull with a bow. It is a very tough hunt even on the good units, and the success rates show this. If you are a rifle hunter and you need to hunt them in the rut to be successful, you aren't much of a hunter IMHO. Leave the primitive weapons in September, extend the MZ hunt another week, and put the rifle hunt where it should be.... October.

It sure helped my hunt. The extra week paid off. The archery hunt being one week later contributed greatly to my success. Check my post in the Elk forum.

jewillia, I'm glad it paid off for you. That is a nice bull you arrowed.
As I said before, I wish every hunter that draws a LE tag could be successful. I just got tired last year of hearing the archery guys complain of hot weather, crowded conditions and the season dates that they felt weren't good enough for them, yet no one held a gun to their heads and made them apply for that season. I said they should have applied for the harder to draw ANY weapon hunt and then they would have the days to hunt that they wanted and they could use their archery equipment.

elkantlers,

You are correct on that statement. People need to understand that the bowhunt for LE elk is not a gimme. It can be a very tough hunt with numerous close calls. If you apply for it beware and enjoy a tremendous hunt!

Lots of good bulls hitting the dirt this week and for sure on saturday too!!

Good luck to all with tags! I love this time of year!

never satisfied - I have hunted every season the last 4 years. The last 3 seasons the ML hunt has been the tag to have. Those bulls have been going absolutely crazy on the ML hunt. Maybe it's just me but the rut has been in full swing during the ML season. It appears that it's going to be the same way this year. And it is a "gimme hunt" with a rifle. :D

I totally agree the spike hunters and deer hunters hurt all the big bull archery hunters.Thats a stupid thing for dwr to do when we have waited so long to draw and overcounter tags get to chase the same herd of elk.

Seen lots of bulls still in bachelor herds, had one group last night that had 6 bulls and they showed no rut activity what so ever.

The tag to have this year is the muzzy tag.

Is it too late to turn in my LE archery tag??? And if its not can I turn my bull in also and still keep my points?

<Stu Padasso Pro Staff

<Dixie Nourmous Field Staff

>LAST EDITED ON Sep-16-10
>AT 07:50?AM (MST)

>
>The most effective weapon should not
>be when the elk are
>most vulnerable. What kind
>of sense does that make?!!!!!!
> How do rifle hunters
>justify hunting them during the
>rut then complain and whine
>about the archery hunters having
>a problem with it?
>Do you guys really need
>to hunt them with the
>most effective weapon when they
>are most vulnerable? GIVE ME
>A FREAKING BREAK!!!! You can't
>hunt them in October like
>every other state in the
>west? You really need
>the rut to ensure your
>success? It wouldn't take
>15 years to draw a
>tag if they moved the
>hunt out of the rut
>and were able to give
>out more tags because the
>hunt wasn't 90% success.
>Bash on archery hunters all
>you want. An archery
>hunt during the rut is
>not anywhere near 90% success.
> It is a very
>tough hunt. I would
>like to know how many
>archery bashers on here have
>actually killed a mature bull
>with a bow. It
>is a very tough hunt
>even on the good units,
>and the success rates show
>this. If you are
>a rifle hunter and you
>need to hunt them in
>the rut to be successful,
>you aren't much of a
>hunter IMHO. Leave the
>primitive weapons in September, extend
>the MZ hunt another week,
>and put the rifle hunt
>where it should be.... October.
>

AMEN BROTHER!!

Rut is late this year. The later Archery dates helped me harvest my bull. Still, they did not start bugling good on the books until around September 8th and will not peak until around the 20-25th, from what I experienced. The bull I took (see elk section), was without cows two days before I finally got him on September 14th.

Makes no sense having the rifle season in the peak of the rut. I was within 100 yard many times to 350+ bulls. In fact, on separate days, I was within 500 yards and 240 yards to the bull I took. The longer season is needed for archery because it takes more time to seal the deal.

I also agree, the muzzy hunt should be before the rifle and have a little longer time frame since it is also a harder hunt than a rifle. Can't figure out why Utah DWR thinks rifle hunters need to be able to call in an elk to 20 yards to hit him with a 200 grain bullet going 4,000 fps. Lots of skill there...

If we are comparing apples to apples here or Archery LE versus Any Weapon LE. The archers get 7 days to hunt by themselves while the any weapon hunters get 10 days.

Someone please explain to me how that is unfair? Plus the archers are in the pre-rut and have a limited range 60 yards, while the any weapon is in the peak of the rut and a range out to 300 yards ++++ ?

Elkhunter?????

I'm sure this is just anxiety built up as all the archery hunters are shooting your bull. right??? Don't worry the muzzy hunters are thinking that the any weapon hunters are shooting their bulls as well. Your hunt will get here soon enough and most important is to enjoy the experience and make memories to last a lifetime!!!

I have to laugh.
We have this same discussion every year about this time.
People want more of this and less of that.......
All based on what hunting style or weapon they like.

Anybody pass the age of 40 should remember those "good old days" of Elk hunting in Utah.

(dont hold me to these dates, but they are pretty close)
1940's --60's = Very limited draw tags (Grandpa might as well have a Zebra tag)
1970's-- 1980's = Some "open bull tags". You might even have a exciting hunt because you saw a "raghorn". Couldnt wait to get back to camp and tell everyone you saw an elk with browtines. Had to tell them at camp cuz your "brick" Radio Shack CB didnt reach 1/2 mile.
1990's --2000's = Spike only in many units and a new bonus point LE system.

1970---15,000 elk
today ---65,000 + (trophy animals included)
All this with more elk hunting pressure and winter range being eaten up at a rapid pace. (Deer herd is proof of that......)

Guess what,, Elk hunting couldnt be better. Utah is on the map for some of the best Elk hunting in the world. From zero Boone and Crockett entries to many. Even a World record in there.

Yes it does suck that you have to wait your turn for a LE tag in a draw system. But the system is fair and doesnt exclude anyone from a chance to draw. 0--max points you are in the "hat".
Just a game we all have to play. Sorry, everything cant be over the counter.........
Utah has tons of Elk hunting opportunity with general season over the counter tags

Now that elk hunting is good, everyone wants a bigger piece of the pie.
Just remember where we were even 15 years ago and be carefull what you wish for.

I dont think its a perfect system. I think it could use some tweaks. BUT it must be pretty good and working Ok to get us to this point.

The real "good old days" of elk hunting are NOW!
Pick up your weapon of choice and go kill an Elk

Just my .02 cents

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom