Eye Relief?

legacy

Very Active Member
I am looking at scopes for my .300 Win Mag. I like the Vortex Viper, but am concerned with the shorter eye-relief in comparison to a VX-II (and others). SHOULD this be a concern? Any thoughts or recommendations?

Great question and i look forward to some answers myself. I'm shooting Burris Signature Series on both my 270WSM and 280AI. Though i've not yet been "tagged", the clearance between eye and scope at the shot in some field conditions is so close to eye brow busting, that i'm concerned. Though i don't plan on changing scopes, i'd love to see manufactures start to build scopes with a bit more eye-relief.

I believe your concern is very valid!

Joey

IMO eye relief should be a concern, especially on the big magnums. Eye relief along with quality glass has been my draw to Leupold also. I shoot a .338 RUM (it's got a brake on it now but it didn't for the first few years) and I have never even been close to getting scoped with my Vari-x III. One shot was up hill 376 yards with the scope turned all the way up to 10, no worries!

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

My biggest question is why does Leupould have a thin metal edge on there scope? I used a VxL for a number of years and the last year I used it, it rocked my world! I now have a nice half moon implanted into my forehead. Shooting up hill prone was my first mistake, but the lack of eye relief didnt help. I was also dissapointed with the way it tracked.
I now shoot a Huskemaw. It has great eye relief as well as a rubber ring around the eye piece, no more sharp metal to cut me to the bone. I shoot a sendero 300 Rum with a break so im not real worried about it hitting me.
Huskemaw is my favorite scope hands down, but I also like my Burris

I just bought a new vx-3 and they now have a protective rubber ring around the ocular lense. Sounds like you got scoped pretty good but it sounds like it was due more to the shot than a lack of eye relief on the Leupold.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

I have a Vortex Diamondback on my 7mm Rem Mag. It's never been an issue. I just bought a Viper for another gun and I am pretty impressed with it. I got a free custom turret from mm and its deadly accurate. I don't know if brian is still giving them away or not. I think there around $100.00 to buy one. One things for sure, you can't beat the no hassle warranty on Vortex.....and a couple of weeks after I bought mine they really dropped the prices on them. That was a little painful.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom