F-150 ecoboost

silverlake176

Thinking of buying a new pickup. Anyone have a F-150 ecoboost? and what do you think of the pickup and engine? Or should I go with the 5.0 V8? I'm also open to other pickup suggestions.

Drove a couple of them!

They don't Impress me as much as others!

I don't think they get the Fuel Mileage they're Claiming?

But nobody will leave their Foot out of it long enough to see what it really will get!

After having the TORQUE of a Diesel,anything else just doesn't feel right!

Don't get me Wrong,Sweet little Truck!

Now if FORD would pull their Head out & Build a V-8 Eco-Boost you'd have something!

I used to know of places worth Hiking in to for Elk & Deer!
Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

My ag service reps drive them, lots of power but not the economy they claim.

I don't think they've proven themselves at this point. just my opinion.

Dodge is supposed to have a new 1/2 ton diesel out this year with a proven engine that nobody can touch. I haven't researched it I don't buy 1/2 tons but if I was in the market I'd check it out.

Stay thirsty my friends

The F-150 is the best half ton truck out there right now. Both motors are great, but don't buy the Eco for the mileage. If you need the tow rating or like the performance, then great, otherwise the 5.0 will do.

You CAN get the advertised mileage numbers, but you have to drive like a grandpa. I'll pay the little bit more for gas and enjoy the ride. Just my take.

Grizzly

"Now if FORD would pull their Head out & Build a V-8 Eco-Boost you'd have something!"

Yeah, but they should probably just call it the "BOOST"!

I have two Eco-boost trucks. One has 100,000 miles other about 60K. No problems to date. On average about 17 MPG I did a test run to St George and back on cruise at 70 mileage was 22 MPG. Truck is fast and smooth and hard to drive under 80! First small trucks I have owned and I have another coming. Tows up to 10K no prob.

Sitting in one right now. 2011 four door 4x4.
If I'm nice and keep my foot out of it , set the cruise at 65. It will get 17.5 to 18.
Foot in it on dirt road.....10 to 12 mpg. It has good power for a half ton truck.
Like the other posters have said, best 1/2 ton right now, but....that new diesel dodge 1/2 ton has me interested. I wouldn't buy the first year out though. They need a year or two to get the kinks out.
The dodge would need to get in the mid twenties on mileage to off set the higher price on diesel fuel. I bet it will be expensive too.

I have a 2013 Ecoboost and I love it. I drive 60 miles round trip each day (mostly freeway miles) and frequently average 21-22 mpg. When I drive around town I get around 17 mpg. Great truck!

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Bowtech Destroyer
Winchester Apex .50 Cal

I have a friend that has one and it's a sweet running truck. He gets 20-23 MPG on highway at 60-70 mph over 70 mpg drops off. He has a 3.50 rear end in a short bed 4X4. Now if you keep putting your foot in it the mileage drops off considerably but it will run like a bigger motor. I like the truck and I didn't think I would but it's a nice truck. We went all up thru Co on a fly fishing trip and that truck averages 22.5 MPG for the trip hand calc, Dodge is coming out with a new diesel that's a European design but it's a proven power plant. Nissan is POSSIBLY coming out with a CUMMINS diesel in their titan p/u and I think it's scheduled for 2015 model year. The guy that headed up Ram trucks, Fred Diaz is At Nissan so I think it will happen.

I'm not so sure I'm sold. I drive a F-150 with Ecoboost which is a company truck. The power is nice for a V6. I have never been a Ford guy so I might be biased. In my industry everyone drives a Ford.

In the market for a new truck. Been seriously considering a 2014 Sierra. Always been a GM guy. It has more torque, HP and comes in a V8 and is cheaper.

There is a reason that Ford dominates ALL heavy construction genres (look it up if you don't believe me). The big companies without brand-bias that spend millions annually on pickups have found through massive algorithms that Ford trucks are the toughest and last the longest in real-world scenarios.

Also, don't focus on torque/hp numbers alone. GM has torque, but their powerband is terrible. Ford gets 80% of their torque at 1,000 RPM. Trucks need that low-end torque if you want to use it as a truck. Torque at 4,500 RPM is useless for a truck.

Grizzly

Well said about the torque Grizzly. Torque at high rpm's is not where you want it. I drive a 2013 F150 with the 5.0 and love it. Great motor with plenty of power. Just got back from Colorado and the 36 gallon tank was nice to have on long trips. We were traveling with someone who had a chevy with the smaller tank and they stopped for gas a lot more than us. The large tank is nice.

My Brother in law, and Nephew both have the eco boost, I have the 5.0.
My gas mileage is 15 around town, and 18-20 on the freeway.
Their mileage is 12-13 around town, and 15-17 on the freeway.

Here are the HP and Torque comparisons:

5.0 360 HP 380 torque
eco 365 HP 420 torque.

I would buy the 5.0 again in a minute, and so would they.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-22-13 AT 11:08AM (MST)[p]The 5.0 is a great motor, but tows 9,200 lbs as opposed to the 11,100 with the Ecoboost. My trailer weighs over 10,000 lbs so I am beholden to the Eco, otherwise I would seriously consider the 5.0. (See my post above) They are both great motors and have seen no major mechanical defects.

PS. If you haven't watched the Ecoboost Torture Test... check it out.

Grizzly

I'm in the market for a new 4-door pickup as well and have test driven the Ford F-150 Ecoboost FX4, the Dodge Ram 4x4, and Chevy Silverado 4x4. The Ford is very rough riding on the highway while the Dodge and Chevy have a smooth, comfortable highway ride. All seem to quote about the same fuel mileage 15 city/ 17 all-around /21 highway... I don't particularly like the gear shift turn knob on the Dodge. Can't say I'm thoroughly impressed with any of them at this point as they're all too damn over-priced!!!

On a side note, Dodge and Chevy took the Obama bailout money years ago while Ford supposedly did not...

Check to see what trailer package the Ford had. Some of the trailering packages may make a rougher ride due to stiffer spring options. My 4x4 off road rides real nice on freeway.

Just bought a 2013 F-150. I decided against the Ecoboost when I read of a few people having major problems. I went with the 5.0 because it's an established engine, maybe the best ford ever developed. The only trailer I'll pull is a small 980lb popup camper(6000lb when the wife goes:D). Most people may never have problems with the Ecoboost but I keep my trucks for a long time and age sometimes brings out defects that a torture test on a new engine will miss.

PS When I drove home from the dealership ( 85 miles), mileage was 20.1 at 65mph.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-22-13 AT 04:16PM (MST)[p]I just bought a F150 5 weeks ago. I chose the 5.0. I did alot of research and decided on the 5.0. I got the lariat pkg. I recently pulled a 3 horse trailer loaded and it did fine. Definitely not as nice as my previous power stroke. But, hey who needs to race up a hill. If I pulled every week I would of considered a heavier truck.

have an 2011 eco,good power,milage 17 to 18,what turned me sour was pulling a 14 ft open trailer with two 4 wheelers, wt around 2300 lbs, milage 11.3 that sucks.it didn,t matter what i did while driving, 62, 70, 80,just got back from colorado elk hunting pulling same rig,but with an 2005 dully,7.3 diesel. got 15.8 at 62 mph.don,t believe all the hype from ford about this truck.i,ll wait for the new ford atlas comming in 2015,maybe they will fix the towing mph.

>I'm in the market for a
>new 4-door pickup as well
>and have test driven the
>Ford F-150 Ecoboost FX4, the
>Dodge Ram 4x4, and Chevy
>Silverado 4x4. The Ford is
>very rough riding on the
>highway while the Dodge and
>Chevy have a smooth, comfortable
>highway ride.

This is what bothers me.

Good grief man, pickup trucks are NOT supposed to ride like a marshmallow.

They are supposed to have solid front axles like the good 'ol days!

Independent front suspensions in a 4x4 pickup have way too many moving parts and weak links, plus they are expensive when they wear out.

But because of pansies like this, pickups are steadily becoming cars that have a trunk open to atmosphere.

Buy a GMC, they have the softest ride, or better yet go buy a Honda Ridgeline.

Before ya know it... pick up trucks will no longer have a friggin' tail gate either.

Sincerely,
Frustrated with panzie azz 1/2 ton trucks...

>Here's a review for the Ram
>1500 diesel.
>http://www.autoguide.com/manufacturer/ram/2014-ram-1500-ecodiesel-review-3490.html
>
>
>Traditional >>>------->

Let's see a real review where they pull something more than a 3800 lb boat.

2a0fcsk.gif

>For 1-2 less miles to the
>gallon, the 6.2L V-8 in
>my Ford Raptor outshines either
>engine hands down!

Can't argue with that.

Grizzly

There's a Local Guy here that got His RAPTORS Ass Spanked by an eco-boost!

Just an Empty Truck/Straight away drag race though!

Not a Pulling Contest!

Somebody above mentioned the GM Having more Torque?

Might be so,but look at the overall Torque Curve throughout the RPM Range of the Eco-Boost,Not bad for a V-6!

I still say We need a V-8 Eco-Boost!

I used to know of places worth Hiking in to for Elk & Deer!
Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

I would do an internet search for "Ford ecoboost problems", before purchasing. I have a 2012 ecoboost and it is the
biggest POS I have ever owned. Engine problems and transmission
problems are getting worse.

BT

I bought a 2013 Ecoboost and hated it I never got the gas mileage they advertised and the power was not there, I traded it in 6 months later for a 2013 dodge 1500 and it gets better gas mileage and more power, and the ride is ten times better

>LAST EDITED ON Oct-22-13
>AT 11:08?AM (MST)

>
>The 5.0 is a great motor,
>but tows 9,200 lbs as
>opposed to the 11,100 with
>the Ecoboost. My trailer
>weighs over 10,000 lbs so
>I am beholden to the
>Eco, otherwise I would seriously
>consider the 5.0. (See my
>post above) They are both
>great motors and have seen
>no major mechanical defects.
>
>PS. If you haven't watched the
>Ecoboost Torture Test... check it
>out.
>
>Grizzly

Did you do anything else to it to handle the weight? Airbags? shocks? I have a 24ft toyhauler that will go over 10k when loaded, but like all toyhaulers its tongue heavy as hell. I have a 02 chev2500hd with the 6.0. It works the tranny on that truck pulling to the north slope, I am wondering about the f150. Other than the 6-7times a year we drag that trailer, I don't need the 3/4 ton, and don't want to trade my house for a diesel. I am hoping this truck is what they claim it is, if so I think I will be getting one.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

>For 1-2 less miles to the
>gallon, the 6.2L V-8 in
>my Ford Raptor outshines either
>engine hands down!

My company truck is a 2013 F250 crew cab with the 6.2L. Best I can get is 14 mpg so far it its first 6500 miles.

I'm sure not seeing mileage numbers that look good. I just got 16 mpg going 80 mph down the interstate to WY with my quad in the back. 99 power stroke cc.

I rode in one from denver to p-town pulling a 18ft bassboat, it rode nice but we only got about 14 mpg maybe15mpg, i can do the same thing in many other 1/2 tons.
If you can hold off till 2015 the nissan titan will offer a1/2 ton with a 5.0 v-8 turbo cummings diesel with rumors of it pulling down mpg numbers in the the mid to high twentys.

I own a Tundra and my buddy owns an Eco. We just traveled from Minnesota to Colorado and back and here are my thoughts. The Tundra has 401 lbs/ft of torque @ 3,600 rpm and the Eco has 420 @ 2500 rpm. That is really what you need in a truck, torque at low rpm. The Tundra can do anything the Eco can it just needs the next gear down to do it due to 1,100 rpm difference in max torque. I researched this for 2 years before making the Tundra purchase based on proven technology and the next lowest torque/rpm combo. Both trucks pulled about 4,000 lbs at 70 mph up to the Eisenhower heading east with the Eco pulling away slightly the last 1/2 mile because those turbos helped overcome the 3% power loss per 1,000 ft of elevation gain. I do know the brakes and engine braking system seemed better on the Tundra than the Eco as my rpm stayed around 3,000 on the way down with very little use of my brakes. The Eco was over 4,000 rpm a couple times and seemed to use more brake. Some people mention the GM products and even the 5.0 but take the time to look at where those trucks make max torque. I don't enjoy pulling trailers at 5,000 rpm. Over the whole trip the Eco managed about .7 mpg better than my Tundra but I did lose about that when I switched from the factory P rated tire to an LT C rated tire. Do your research, they're not giving these damn things away.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

I have heard the Cummins/Tundra rumor as well but I bet a direct injected 5.7 is a more likely scenario. If you look at what direct injecting GM's little 5.3 did I couldn't imagine what it would do to the 5.7.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom