F&G commission adopts wolf hunting rules

spotnstalkID

Date: May 22, 2008

The Idaho Fish and Game Commission Thursday, May 22, adopted the first regulated hunting season on gray wolves in the state's history

The commission, during its May meeting, set a wolf population goal of 518 wolves, and adopted hunting seasons, limits and rules for the 2008 hunting season.

The season would be open from September 15 in the backcountry and from October 1 in all remaining areas and run through December 31. The commission would review results in November to consider extending the season if limits are not being met.

A hunter can kill one wolf with a valid 2008 hunting license and wolf tag.

"I think we made history today," Fish and Game Director Cal Groen said. "We must manage this species; they are well beyond recovered."

The wolf hunt rules are based on the Idaho Wolf Population Management Plan, approved by commissioners in an early March meeting. The gray wolf in the Northern Rocky Mountains was removed from the endangered species list in late March. The plan calls for managing wolves at a population level of between 2005-2007 levels (518-732) wolves for the first five years following delisting.

The estimated population at the end of 2007 was 732 wolves, with an estimated 20 to 30 percent annual growth rate. Adding this years expected pups, that number would be more than 1,000 wolves before hunting season would start.

Commissioners adopted a wolf population goal of the level from 2005, which was about 518 wolves.

Fish and Game rules call for a total statewide mortality limit, including harvest from the Nez Perce Tribe, of about 428 wolves in 2008, which includes all reported wolf kills - from natural causes, accidents, wolf predation control actions and hunter kills. If the limit is reached it would result in an estimated end-of-year population of fewer than 550 wolves.

Hunting will be managed in 12 zones. Hunting intensity would vary with levels of conflict between wolves and livestock or game animals. But when the statewide mortality limit is reached, all hunting would stop. When limits in individual zones are reached, hunting in those zones would stop.

Additional rules include a mandatory report within 72 hours and check-in within 10 days of killing a wolf, and no trapping, electronic devices, bait or dogs will be allowed in the first year. Weapons restrictions are the same as for deer.

Fish and Game expects to release season and rules brochures to the public in July.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/apps/releases/view.cfm?NewsID=4405

LAST EDITED ON May-22-08 AT 10:30PM (MST)[p]No electronic devices? Man it would have been nice to be able to use a foxpro for calling wolves. I also wish they would leave the season open all winter so hunters could remove any wolves that target vulnerable wintering big game populations. I really hope they hit the quota, but I think those wolves will get hard to hunt after a few get shot.

Dax

i know there is nothing in print right now. but just do to what i just read and what i've read in the past .. it seems that it might be an over the counter tag. anybody else seeing that? with a 72 hour window and a lot of ambitous hunters in the state including myself does anybody else here see that quota being filled in very short order? to me it would be like buying an over the counter bighorn license and cutting the leash. you wouldn't find me sitting at home. couldn't imagine the rest of the idhao hunting public doing the same......
is so count me in on being on that starting line on opening day.... ready set go!!!!!!

i don't think i will have any problem getting one, in fact i predict an oct.1st kill.
i have never had any problem locating them with just a couple wolf howls, and most of the time they would come right in to me
after a couple howls..
i think after we learn a little more about them they will be
an easy target..

I am so excited I can hardly stand it! I can't wait to hunt wolves. I have never seen wolves in the wild and have been where they are and seen their tracks on many occasions. I am of the opinion that they will make themselves very scarce once people start shooting at them. Anybody know what a tag will cost?

Its fair chase, or its foul!

If it's an OTC tag, I'll certainly buy one. Don't bet on them being easy...at least not after they get shot at once or twice. I truly believe the shortness of the season will guarantee a larger wolf population every year. (I would love to be wrong here.)

Wolf harvest management is set up very similar to that for mountain lions (in those places where there is a female lion quota). So, yes it is an over-the-counter tag, 1/person/year. As with all license and tag fees, wolf tag fees were set by the Idaho legislature in early 2007 at a level equal to black bear and mountain lion tags: $11.50 for residents, $151.75 for nonresidents.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom