Factory Round Choice?

legacy

Very Active Member
Anyone have any experience with the Hornady Superformance and/or Winchester Supreme Elite XPC's? I'm trying to decide what factory load to shoot out of my .300 Win Mag. Of course, all is determined how either will actually shoot. I've spent the $$$ for premium stuff in the past that didn't shoot worth a darn, but I need to start somewhere. Also, what is your opinion on 165 gr VS 180 gr? In regards to longer distances, what is more important, the higher BC of the 180 gr or the flatter trejectory of the 165 gr? Thanks once again for the replys!

In preparation for a much anticipated, LE deer hunt a few years back, I purchased several different boxes of high dollar, premium .270 ammo. I also purchased some of the cheapest ammo I could find, to practice off hand.
I set up a target at 400 yards and started shooting groups.
Guess what shot best ?
The cheap ($12 a box at Wally mart) Federal stuff in the blue box consistently produced ? MOA or less.

Every gun is different, but the next time I buy a new gun/caliber, I'm going to try out the cheap stuff first.

I agree, the cheap stuff usually does shoot well. I am looking at the "expensive" stuff not because of the price, but because of the ballistics. The research I have done shows that the 2 rounds that I mentioned have superior BC's and velocity, which is what I am looking for. I am looking for more of a "long-range" round (500+/- yards). I'm just hoping one of them shoot well out of my gun. And I know the cheap stuff will kill an animal just as dead as the expensive stuff, but again, I'm looking for a bit more velocity, KE, etc.

Legacy I would stick with the 180gr. The BC is better and will actually pass the 165gr in trajectory at longer distance. As far as factory ammo the superformance has shot very well in a few buddies rifles. The winchester in my experience have never group well for me. I would also look into the federal premium ammo. If you dont mind spending some $ I would look into the nosler custom ammo. Its not much more than other premium ammo and has shot under 1/2" groups from my buddies 300RUM. Its very well built. Good luck and let us know what you choose and how it shoots.

>Legacy I would stick with the
>180gr. The BC is better
>and will actually pass the
>165gr in trajectory at longer
>distance. As far as factory
>ammo the superformance has shot
>very well in a few
>buddies rifles. The winchester in
>my experience have never group
>well for me. I would
>also look into the federal
>premium ammo. If you dont
>mind spending some $ I
>would look into the nosler
>custom ammo. Its not much
>more than other premium ammo
>and has shot under 1/2"
>groups from my buddies 300RUM.
>Its very well built. Good
>luck and let us know
>what you choose and how
>it shoots.

Good info. Thanks!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-16-10 AT 01:41PM (MST)[p]+1 Cahunter805, good info!!

Myself, i don't shoot if a animal is out much past 500 yards, even if n perfect conditions. At that kind of practical hunting range, i may be inclined to find and hunt with the 165's which you can have a comfortable shooting yet excellent hunting loads with bullets like the Barnes stuff or always good, Accubonds...

Yes, beyond 5-600 yds, that's when the high BC of the 180's and even heavier "made for the long range game", bullets really shine and will pass the 150-165ers right up but there's certainly no wrong with a good bullet in the 165 grain loading.

Good luck!!

Joey

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-16-10
>AT 01:41?PM (MST)

>
>+1 Cahunter805, good info!!
>
>Myself, i don't shoot if a
>animal is out much past
>500 yards, even if n
>perfect conditions. At that kind
>of practical hunting range, i
>may be inclined to find
>and hunt with the 165's
>which you can have a
>comfortable shooting yet excellent hunting
>loads with bullets like the
>Barnes stuff or always good,
>Accubonds...
>
>Yes, beyond 5-600 yds, that's when
>the high BC of the
>180's and even heavier "made
>for the long range game",
>bullets really shine and will
>pass the 150-165ers right up
>but there's certainly no wrong
>with a good bullet in
>the 165 grain loading.
>
>Good luck!!
>
>Joey

Good point Joey.

You cant hold dead on at 500 no matter what weight bullet you use. What does it matter if it drops 25" or 30"....you still have to know for sure and make adjustments.....I would'nt worry so much about BC this and FPS that, I would be more concerned with accuracy first then matching the bullet weight and construction to the game.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

>You cant hold dead on at
>500 no matter what weight
>bullet you use. What does
>it matter if it drops
>25" or 30"....you still have
>to know for sure and
>make adjustments.....I would'nt worry so
>much about BC this and
>FPS that, I would be
>more concerned with accuracy first
>then matching the bullet weight
>and construction to the game.
>
>
>"A well regulated militia, being necessary
>to the security of a
>free state, the right of
>the people to keep and
>bear arms shall not be
>infringed."

I don't disagree with that. The only thing a faster flatter shooting bullet gives you is a bigger window for error when estimating holdover. But I agree, an accurate shooting bullet is priority for sure. Again, I'm just hoping to have my cake and eat it too. :)

LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-10 AT 04:30PM (MST)[p]Federal Premium with Barnes TTSX, or the excellent TTBBC.

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-10
>AT 04:30?PM (MST)

>
>Federal Premium with Barnes TTSX, or
>the excellent TTBBC.

I really like the TTSX, but I wonder why Federal only has it in 130 gr?

>You cant hold dead on at
>500 no matter what weight
>bullet you use. What does
>it matter if it drops
>25" or 30"....you still have
>to know for sure and
>make adjustments.....I would'nt worry so
>much about BC this and
>FPS that, I would be
>more concerned with accuracy first
>then matching the bullet weight
>and construction to the game.
>

X2.

>>You cant hold dead on at
>>500 no matter what weight
>>bullet you use. What does
>>it matter if it drops
>>25" or 30"....you still have
>>to know for sure and
>>make adjustments.....I would'nt worry so
>>much about BC this and
>>FPS that, I would be
>>more concerned with accuracy first
>>then matching the bullet weight
>>and construction to the game.
>>
>
>X2.

X3. True wisdom right there.

until we consider wind drift and TOF..but someone shooting a 308 dont concern themselves with minor details like that..

(good natured ribbing for Hardway)

LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-10 AT 05:37PM (MST)[p]AHHHH YES.......And thou shalt not burden thee unesseccary weight of the magnum upon his shoulders.

Hardway 3:08

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

>until we consider wind drift and
>TOF..but someone shooting a 308
>dont concern themselves with minor
>details like that..
>
>(good natured ribbing for Hardway)

LOL!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom