Family Tradition

A

archerelk

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-10 AT 02:29PM (MST) by Founder (admin)[p][p align=right]Thread Views Counter....[/p]

This will be the 1st year that my entire family has the opportunity to hunt. While I am not the best writter, and have no expectation of winning. I thought I would share as well.

A little about us. I am 36, and have been hunting 15 years. My best buck is a South Dakota Muley that grossed 184 5/8. My best elk grossed 297 in Az unit 8. My wife is 36 and has hunted elk once and deer once. She has yet to harvest. This year she got a new Parker bow and will hopefully get her 1st deer. My daughter is 12 and has been shooting since she was 6. For her birthday she got a new Savage 243. She can outshoot anybody I have witnessed so she should definitely do well. My son is 10 and has a new Diamond bow. He is practicing every day and already picked out his buck.

I plan to video tape all of my family's hunts, as well as my Az elk hunt. My trail camera broke so I am getting a few more.

I will post about all the prep work we have been doing, get some of our pictures of the deer we have each picked out, and talk about the routine I got into to prepare for a grueling elk hunt.

Hopefully you will enjoy hearing about our adventures, I know I am looking forward to hunting with my wife and children.

It's our new family tradition.

Blair

In case I did not mention one other important fact, I have never harvested a deer with a bow, and will only be hunting deer with a bow this year.

I have harvested many animals with a bow, elk, tukey, pheasant,coyote, fox. Just never a deer.

I ordered 2 new video cameras this past weekend to video all the hunts. I also ordered 3 new trail cameras (mine broke 7/22).

My son was sitting in the back yard waxing his bow (diamond), when a really nice buck passed. It is a standard 8 with brow times pointing inward. He named it Andy since the brow tines resemble an A and decided that is the deer he is hunting.

I have picked out a buck I named warpaint. He is 5X5 right now, but looks like he will have 2 extra kickers on him. I have managed to get within 40 yards of him 4 different times, as soon as the new video cameras come in I will post some video.

My daughter picked out a buck she calls lumpy. He appears to have a growth on his front leg. We have 100's of pictures of him on the old camera from last year, and after he dropped this year. Hoping to get some better footage of him to post.

My wife picked out a cull buck simply called retard. It has a beautiful left and right, they just don't match one another.

Hopefully this weekend I will manage to get some good footage of some of the critters we have picked to hunt. We will follow them for the next 2 months until archery season starts. Hopefully this will be a good bowseason to start our family tradition.

Rained most of the weekend so I did not get any good video. Did manage to get a couple pictures of my trail cam on Sunday. The lousy night picture is of the buck I nicknamed warpaint. The other picture is of the buck my daughter named lumpy. As you can see it has a funny growth on his front leg....

PICT0048.jpg

PICT0035.jpg

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom