Fast twist 270wsm

Tikka

Long Time Member
Finally getting around to start some load development on this rifle…

Tikka trued action
Rock Creek Barrel 26” 1:6.5
Mesa Precision Stock
Zeiss HD5 3-15 x 50 (not a fan of the reticle) tendons are to fat, other than that I’m a Zeiss scope fan…

Starting with Hammer Hunter’s 168gr HH and 156gr HH…
I’ve had this rifle since June but tore my ligaments in July, now just getting caught up on everything at home….

Let’s see how she shoots…
9624AD23-4C1D-47AC-8AB1-7CE211378AB8.jpeg
A67EE4EE-4055-4510-9F8E-002C6DA14A60.jpeg

Last edited:
Today’s loads
Magpro powder
Winchester large magnum primers
Nosler brass
156gr HH

69-3093

70-3143

71-3196

72-3241 slight bolt lift

168gr HH

67-2960

68-3015

69-3053

70-3078 slight ejector mark

Would love to see your groups with those. Especially the 168gr HH at 2960

Not a big fan of hunting with a 26" barrel, but I'm willing to listen and learn

Cheers,
Pete

Would love to see your groups with those. Especially the 168gr HH at 2960

Not a big fan of hunting with a 26" barrel, but I'm willing to listen and learn

Cheers,
Pete
Hey there Pete, today I really wasn’t shooting for groups… I was just trying to find pressure and then I’ll work backwards from there…
I’ll keep this post updated as I go…

As for the 26” barrel this one is my first, my thought process was a little more speed… If it doesn’t gain me much, it will get cut down…
Hopefully this turns out well… This build has been in my head for 5+ yrs finally did it…

Pete/c3,
I’ll chime in. They’re not for every application but there are times when ridge hunting or prairie hunting is on tap and added barrel length isn’t an issue. I use a few in that length in the pursuit of increased FPS, reduce TOF and flatter trajectory.
For instance, my wife just used one of my rifles with a 26” barrel PLUS my suppressor on a pronghorn hunt. No one was hampered.
A hunting rifle is more defined by the platform and configuration than the chambering IMHO.

We’ll done Tikka, that sounds awesome if you can attain the accuracy you’re looking for.

Zeke

Excellent choice of cartridge. Who did the work? Did you have it setup with a long freebore?
That’s great speed and I’m sure it will be a Hammer!?

Excellent choice of cartridge. Who did the work? Did you have it setup with a long freebore?
That’s great speed and I’m sure it will be a Hammer!?
I had Preece Precision do the work for me... Yes, I had Mason build the reamer throated long for the 168gr HH's...

I had Preece Precision do the work for me... Yes, I had Mason build the reamer throated long for the 168gr HH's...
Awesome! Those are some great velocities and should work out well. The 270WSM is one of the rifles I regret selling. Had a M70 custom that shot lights out with 150VLD and H1000.

Awesome! Those are some great velocities and should work out well. The 270WSM is one of the rifles I regret selling. Had a M70 custom that shot lights out with 150VLD and H1000.
I bought my boy a 270wsm when he turned 8 he’s now 24…. That rifle has been one of the most deadly rifles I’ve been around… it just oozes confidence when you shoulder it…
That’s what started my love for the 270wsm…

Update on this rifle, for now I’ve settled on 156gr HH and 69grs. of Retumbo at 3180 fps…
Five shot group, cold bore was slightly right of target, next three touching left of target… Then fifth shot went right again…
Heading to Arizona tomorrow with it… I hope to give some more updates when I return, hopefully with a good coues…
IMG_1077.jpeg

Update on this rifle, for now I’ve settled on 156gr HH and 69grs. of Retumbo at 3180 fps…
Five shot group, cold bore was slightly right of target, next three touching left of target… Then fifth shot went right again…
Heading to Arizona tomorrow with it… I hope to give some more updates when I return, hopefully with a good coues…
View attachment 129251
Good luck…need a quail report too (y)

View attachment 129251
I've never hunted Coues but man I'd love to.
Good luck and we expect a solid report.

View attachment 129251
Good luck in AZ Tikka! Can't wait to hear about your hunt.

I shoot a .270WSM as well and have loved it. Looks like you have a good load worked up to do some damage!

The 270 WSM is a way underrated round in my opinion, fast, flat shooting, hits hard ! I own one in a Winchester Coyote…….. but I sure like that Tikka……. very nice rifle !!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom