Fathers and Sons late-elk hunt

Dr_Hunter

Very Active Member
I was fortunate enough to draw a late-season elk tag with one point along with my dad who did not have max points. It must've been meant to be for the two of us to both randomly draw. We had an incredible hunt. My son and friends came along and we made memories that will last a lifetime. I am so happy my son was able to be with us the entire trip. Here is part 1 of the video. I will post part 2 later after I finish it. Enjoy

Nice bull. Good job.

thumbguy2.gif

Awesome video and congrats on the success. Good thing that backup shot barely hit the antler. You guys all had a great season this year.

Awesome video and congrats on the success. Good thing that backup shot barely hit the antler. You guys all had a great season this year.
No kidding! Not sure what happened to my gun. I'd shot it a few times over the summer and it was good. Then we used it on a CWMU deer hunt two weeks before our hunt and it was accurate. My hunt starts and it's shooting high. Glad my dad lend me his or I may have missed again...

Last edited:
Great shot on a cool bull. I think we took this bulls dad out of that same canyon three years ago with that tag except he was crowned on both sides.

Sweet deal! Fine bull.
I used to hunt and video but it turned into video then hunt so I gave it up.
I'm happy that you did it and shared with us because it's great and entertaining!

Zeke

The good:
Hunting with family
LE elk hunt
Successful hunt
Video story of your hunt

The bad:
Questionable shooting on the first bull moving up the mountain at 600+ and “we did the best we could”
Driving side by sides thru the forest to a bull you had to hike to anyways.

All in all a cool video and a successful hunt, but I think we can do better at our decision making.

The good:
Hunting with family
LE elk hunt
Successful hunt
Video story of your hunt

The bad:
Questionable shooting on the first bull moving up the mountain at 600+ and “we did the best we could”

All in all a cool video and a successful hunt, but I think we can do better at our decision making.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it Swag. It looks like I did not do a very good job portraying and explaining what had happened with my shot at the bull on opening day nor was it clear that we were on a road with the side by sides as we drove “thru the forest.” I will be the first to admit that it can be a challenge putting together numerous days’ worth of film into a 20-minute video. I will quickly explain though.

My gun was shooting high as manifested later in the film. I was frustrated that I had missed so badly at the bull when he had stopped in the opening we were expecting him. I probably should’ve taken a minute to gather my thoughts before turning on the camera. I was pretty bummed. The shot itself was not rushed nor did I shoot at a moving target. My scope had been acting funny on a mule deer hunt three weeks prior but we confirmed it to be good right before the hunt which ended up not being the case. Trying to film the shot was rushed as seen in the film through binoculars. I would’ve preferred a prone position shot but used a tripod and backpack for stock support which made it stable but not rock solid. “Questionable?” Yeah maybe, since I wasn’t 100% confident in the setup but I did feel good or I wouldn’t have squeezed the trigger.

As for the side by sides driving through the forest, you can see in the film a few times that we were on a road. It is a designated, dead-end road and likely not traveled much throughout the year hence the need to remove deadfall from the road. I hope this gets us more points under, “The good” section. If you watch part 2 you will see that I borrowed my dad’s gun and made a great shot on a good bull close to the same distance. Unfortunately, my dad did not know how to adjust the tripod to capture the shot.

The good:
Hunting with family
LE elk hunt
Successful hunt
Video story of your hunt

The bad:

Responses like these are why a lot of people ( me included ) don't share as much any more. If he was telling you this face to face in the garage over beers would you call him out or would you just keep it to yourself? People should still be polite even online where a guy can't smack you for being a douche. Just my opinion.

Nice bull and hunt. I'm glad you enjoyed time with family.

Responses like these are why a lot of people ( me included ) don't share as much any more. If he was telling you this face to face in the garage over beers would you call him out or would you just keep it to yourself? People should still be polite even online where a guy can't smack you for being a douche. Just my opinion.

Nice bull and hunt. I'm glad you enjoyed time with family.
Well I would question him in the garage over beers. Seems to be a place to ask questions and get clarity. Question asked and answered.

So many people have been posting videos on the internet with questionable behavior. Why can’t we question their actions. I know everyone of us this year has watched a video of a long range shot where they clearly hit them in the guts or entirely where they were not aiming and then proclaimed to have smoked him. We should be questioning the ethical choices they are making.

I also would contest everyone of us this year have witnessed a four wheeler or side by side going where they shouldn’t go!

So in the end… I will call out questionable behavior. We all should. And when you are called out, and I am not exempt, then step up and give clarification and or admit your mistake. Be a man. And in this case, that is what happen.

But…

I find it funny you can be entintled to your opinion but I can’t be entitled to mine?

And as far a being polite, if you or anyone is so easily offended, you had better stay home. This world gets softer by the moment.

Well done my friend.
I am so happy you were able to share that hunt with your Dad and your son (and friends) at the same time. The video will make the memories last and Ultimately they are the most valuable "Trophies"!
Congratulations

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom