Favorite 209 primer

nfh

Long Time Member
Just curious on what you prefer for a 209 primer? And why? Dont eat me alive folks. Im new to the muzzleloader game and im hooked. Just a background i bought a CVA .50 cal wolf few months back. Wanted to start cheap. I been shooting sabots with a horandy .45 cal xtp. I just tried some powerbelts and im hooked on that. At 100 yards instead of shots being a inch or 2 apart my groups all touch each other. 10 years ago my uncle gave me a Indiana hunter .50 cal pistol that i hardly shoot.

Reason i ask is i picked up some Winchester brand. The amount of blow by they seem very dirty. I then tried CCI which was ten times cleaner and lot less blow by

I see Remington makes a kleanbore where they claim 15 shots for the breech needs cleaned. I read the reviews just like anything else half complained and half of them loved it.

I've been using Winchester. Mainly because that is what I have on hand. I use Blackhorn 209 powder, which calls for a hot primer, and they work fine. Also worked good with 777, but powder too was dirty for me!

Don P

CCI magnum 209. They are all i have ever used and perform well so i have not had a reason to seek another.

and you'll soon hear (NOW:) that while powerbelts perform on the range and load easily and etc.... they don't perform well on elk. they are ok for deer but if you plan on elk hunting with a mz, don't fall in love with them just yet. I use federal bor loc 350 gr lead.

I have no intention to hunt elk with a muzzy. I have a deer with my .50 cal pistol years ago but I do plan to hunt mulies in Montana with the muzzy. thanks for the tips

Winchester , guess I’ve never had one “not” go boom. I’ve hunted with a muzzy since the traditional days.

Sorry but I had to comment on the Powerbelt issue ! JUNK !!!!!!!!!!! In the field where it counts the most is where you will very upset with their performance. I gave them so many chances it about makes me sick to think about it ! Many , many other bullets out there you will be happy with.

Thanks for the info
I have several months to keep trying different bullets

I shoot Federal primers. They work best for me. CCI are a close second. I actually heard that Federal and CCI are made by the same company. Anyone else heard that?
My Nevada load for my 50 caliber Remington model 700 is 80 grains by weight of Blackhorn powder, Federal 209 shotshell primer. Barnes TMZ 290 grain boat tail bullet with a Harvester crushed ribbed sabot.
For Colorado I use the same load except use the federal bor lock Bullets.

Last edited:
cci is best for blackthorn and hotter prime. Have tried them all and these were the best with no problems at all.

Just curious on what you prefer for a 209 primer? And why? Dont eat me alive folks. Im new to the muzzleloader game and im hooked. Just a background i bought a CVA .50 cal wolf few months back. Wanted to start cheap. I been shooting sabots with a horandy .45 cal xtp. I just tried some powerbelts and im hooked on that. At 100 yards instead of shots being a inch or 2 apart my groups all touch each other. 10 years ago my uncle gave me a Indiana hunter .50 cal pistol that i hardly shoot.

Reason i ask is i picked up some Winchester brand. The amount of blow by they seem very dirty. I then tried CCI which was ten times cleaner and lot less blow by

I see Remington makes a kleanbore where they claim 15 shots for the breech needs cleaned. I read the reviews just like anything else half complained and half of them loved it.
Can't really help you on a 209 primer selection, without knowing what powder you use. A happy medium would be Winchester 209s.

A 240-300gr XTP Mag will outperform most Powerbelt models on the market today.

Can't really help you on a 209 primer selection, without knowing what powder you use. A happy medium would be Winchester 209s.

A 240-300gr XTP Mag will outperform most Powerbelt models on the market today.

Im shooting 130 grains. Pyrodex pellets

That's what I keep hearing. Years ago I stocked up on pellets and have plenty to use.. I have many bottles of the jim shockey powder pellets and they shoot like crap. so I just keep that for the pistol loads

I use the Remington 209 primers to fire off the Blackhorn powder. Seems to be a pretty clean ignition source for my gun.

Used to use the Barnes TEZ 290's with good results. Tried the Powerbelts Platinum Aerolights I think 300 gr. last year because of the great groups at a 100 yds, and took a cow elk with them but had to shoot her twice with about 3 hour wait till she passed on. Both hits should have been kill shots. The TEZ's on two prior elk were one shot, one kill affairs that dropped them in their tracks.

Dialing in a muzzy is like making the perfect dinner...got to mess with the recipes to get it just right. Good luck in your endeavors.

I have 2 Knight rifles set up to shoot with 209 shot shell primers for ignition.
I set mine up to use the Winchester 209 primer in the blue box. The reason is that the Winchester primer is the longest and will have a slight "crush" in my knight rifles actions. The crush provides a good seal and I have no blow back into the actions of these rifles. No blow back means they stay clean and are easier to clean at the end of the shooting session. I can and do shoot Blackhorn 209 powder in them, but I can shoot Triple 7 as well. I have never had an issue getting ignition with Blackhorn powder and Winchester primers.

CCI 209s for me. All I have ever used in my TC Pro hunter. Always fires, Barnes 290 Grain TMZ with pellets or loose 777. Been using that combo for over 12 years now and it works.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom