Favorite 270 loads for elk

jimf

Picked up a t/c compass .270 pretty cheap. Will be a deer/ backup elk gun. Thinking of using 140 or 150 partitions, maybe 140 or 150 accubonds. What are some of your favorite recipes?

You're on the right track. Either Accubonds or Partitions will do their part if you do yours. Barnes TTSX is a great choice too if you're interested in a all copper monolithic type bullet.

150 gr ABLR or 145 gr ELD-X. Higher BC's will do more for you downrange than higher muzzle velocities with a lighter bullet.

I use the 150 gr ABLR.

I have always loved the Nosler Partitions. My girls shoot the 270. We hand load and buy the Barnes TTSX 130 grain. Use H 4350 and get 3133 out of her gun. Barnes loaded or us hand loading are shooting the same .

Agreed on the Nosler bullets. I'd likely stick with 150 grains personally, but would not go lighter than 140. That said, I have seen a fair number of elk tipped over with 130 grain bullets when shot through the ribs.

Load the 150's for less recoil with better downrange ballistic performance properties.

Originally loaded for my daughter's rifle, but have switched for mine as well.

I use cheap bullets that have worked over the years (Core-Lokts), but I definitely agree to stick with the 150 grain bullet versus the 140 or 130. I am a lot more accurate out to 300-500 yards with 150 grains. Aim small, miss small!!

like stated before, the 140 accubond or the 145 ELD-x are awesome options. ive used both with fantastic results.

The 145 gr ELD-X shoots well out of my 270 WSM. I have only killed deer with it. The bullet does come apart but both deer dropped in their tracks. No exit hole. I may try it on elk some day if I’m not packing my 300 RUM with the 212 gr ELD-X.

I made the switch last year to the 145 ELD-X. I’ve have taken a cow elk, buck, antelope, and bear with it, and my wife took her cow moose with it. Deadly bullet. Nothing has went further than 30 yards after being hit. Most everything stayed put.

Buy a box of the Partitions and accubonds in 150 gr. and go with the one that is most accurate in your rifle.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom