FCFS 32 mule deer buck tag

Redbluff77

I was able to pick up a FCFS unit 32 buck mule deer rifle tag today for my father. The season is Oct. 5-Nov.5th. This area is very remote. Does anybody know what would be the best place to stay at a motel or camp? My dad is 70 years old, gets around okay, but he might take his ATV. Any advice on where to hunt or help would be greatly appreciated. My father is also really into Chukar hunting so it wouldn't be a wasted trip. Thanks !!

Denio Junction is probably your only bet for lodging. Not sure what there is north of the state line. As for camping, there's so much BLM that's open for whatever you have. Just be cautious of the roads out there, they go to **** real quick and there's not much room for turning back. Take extra of everything you can. Badass area though!

Denio Junction is probably your only bet for lodging. Not sure what there is north of the state line. As for camping, there's so much BLM that's open for whatever you have. Just be cautious of the roads out there, they go to **** real quick and there's not much room for turning back. Take extra of everything you can. Badass area though!
Thanks for the advice guys. I will def. be getting thicker ply tires for my truck. I know those roads are nasty in 32. He is building antelope points for 32/34 so my rig will be ready!

I will def. be getting thicker ply tires for my truck. I know those roads are nasty in 32.
You will be thankful for getting tougher/thicker tires. I came back from a couple of trips to Area 17 with decent chunks of my tires ripped out by the rocks. One of them eventually tore a hole through the stock Hankooks so I swapped them out with a set of BFG KO2s.

I am very happy with them. Quiet on the road and tough on the trail.

What do you guys believe is causing the big mule deer decline in unit 32 for the past several years? Is it drought, winter die off, or giving out to many doe tags, to many predators like cougars and coyotes preying on the deer. I've talked to a few local hunters and they said the deer just aren't there. I can always hunt chukar and antelope in a different unit next year. thanks

Although not specific to Unit 32 (but focusing on mule deer as a whole in NV), this article states that it is loss of habitat contributing to their population decline versus predators: https://www.nevadacurrent.com/2021/03/29/nevadas-mule-deer-problem-its-not-what-they-say/

Whether one agrees with this assessment or not, the statistics are eye-opening.
That is a very biased and politically motivated article. There is a concerted effort by many anti-hunting groups to end predator hunting as they see it as an easy target.

Population trends are a complex topic. Habitat is an obvious necessity for healthy populations. What the article fails to mention or take into consideration is the lack of a control group in that study. There was no observations on a population that didn’t have predator control for comparison. NV deer populations are falling, if predator control was not taking place, maybe populations would have fallen even further. We simply don’t know because there was no control group.

There have been controlled studies in certain areas. Sierra Nevada Bighorn in CA serve as a good example of a population that was devastated by hunting and disease. During the recovery effort, it was noted the population was not increasing and in fact decreasing. Habitat was not an issue. They discovered that predation by mountain lions was so heavy that the population was unable to grow. Only when CA implemented predator control targeting mountain lions where the sheep lived did the population begin to recover.

Bottom line, predation is likely not the major contributor to the decline in NVs deer population, but it can’t be ruled out as having at least some contribution. The question is what % of mortality is caused by predation vs other factors. Anything that causes the death of animals is a contributor to negative populations, it’s just a question of how much.

Forgot to add, the habitat in 32 hasn’t changed significantly other than perhaps drier conditions. There are no big cities and or agriculture growing, or significant fire in 32.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom