Fcfs Antelope Buck

Simple man

I happen to grab a fcfs lope buck tag. Super excited because no one in our family drew this year. I went up solo. Spotted this guy in the evening and watched him work the ridges over to where he went to bed.

BFF0ECC0-7406-4F54-8F0D-16E4F31383E0.jpeg

21E16FF8-99A9-4C62-9820-B84DFF5656EE.png

C24D79F3-8012-4ACE-8EE5-00D4BEA2FACB.png

5DA28ED5-C616-4C84-AAAC-62AEB6C6D69A.png

After it got dark I drove a mile or so up the road along the base of the Mt away from him. I then made a plan to hike to the top of the Mt and come down on him from the top. 4am started hiking. Took three times as much water with me as I knew it could be a long day. Smoke was thick. I kept vomiting but I knew I had enough water to not get dehydrated. I got up there before light and snuggled up to some rocks to get out of the breeze. I was wearing cooling gear so little chilly at daybreak. Sitting there in the dark I could smell their goat ness funk strong from just the other side of large rock outcropping. When it was light enough to see I barely caught a glimpse of the bunch I walked up on wayyy away now.
so I worked my way slowly along the ridge top towards where I spotted the buck. I didn’t think he would be where he went to bed but I knew he would be somewhere on this Mt.

6A769CB8-FB74-4F48-AEAD-22B8CDE35648.jpeg

9328AA0B-CC8B-4E23-BD40-13198E15F17A.jpeg

F4C1E24F-C2AC-41F6-803B-E178570080F2.jpeg

868F3822-96C8-40B8-889B-77EF01AAB706.jpeg

EFFC1FCF-0A52-4298-9AF2-79A39A75BB52.jpeg

I kept hiking father and farther away from the truck way down in the valley. I told myself I couldn’t go any father away. I was close to being right above where I saw the buck so I sat in cover of large rocks. After awhile I spotted a few does feeding bellow. I started to get ready for him to show his face. They were working there way over to where I spotted the buck and dropped over a ledge out of sight. I didn’t want to chase so I waited. After a bit I noticed the does working back the way they came. But the kept looking back. I knew something was back there Under the ledge. The does stopped bellow me looking back. Sure enough I spotted movement and there was the buck lope. Making his way to the girls. I let him walk closer and up to me for a minute or so. I was a snake in the rocks. Perfect rest on the rocks and enough time to come down from the adrenaline of seeing him. After a minute or so He slowly tuned broadside at 150yards 15% down hill on the rangefinder. One shot and he collapsed rolling down the hill a
few times. Green scored 75. I wasnt picky on finding a big boy but this guy exceeded my expectations. He will be getting mounted.

60333B02-377A-477B-BF00-46B854ADD73E.jpeg

CAA7CF88-98B4-48CF-BAA4-BAF49A233560.jpeg

C403F597-5166-415E-A6BC-DF5CC001C9AA.jpeg

DD803A47-33E4-42DF-A5D1-D0C468C27C3D.jpeg

309D0BB1-3078-4C7E-A21B-597F731A475D.jpeg

C775999F-D963-450B-8F0F-F6F083D8D90A.jpeg

I saw a truck driving up the road bellow. I trapped my orange beanie and put it on his horns. Sure enough the stopped and scoped us out. They moved along. Now the work began. I downed him at 10am. I needed to take care of the hide because he was being mounted. Or else I would have just drug him down the mountain. So caped and bonned out I could just barely stand up with the backpack on and his head and cape in a sack. With legs knocking taking tiny steps I made my way down the Mt towards the road. My legs collapsed a few times. It was beyond what I could carry and all the gear out in one trip. There’s no way I could make a second trip up the Mt. I was gassed. My legs shot. Finally I made it to the road. I stashed him and my pack in a bush. Now I needed to make my way up the road to the try’s mile or so away. That as the hardest walk is ever on a flat road. I collapsed half a dozen times just because I couldn’t put one foot in front of the other anymore. I was praying the truck that went by earlier would come back out and help me at least get back to my truck but no. It was me vs the desert. Truck in site as a good feeling but I couldn’t get there any faster. 50 yards from truck had to stop. Finally opened truck and drank a bunch of water power aid and just vomited it back up. I sat in the ac for awhile before my legs and feet could push the peddles. Made my way down the road to my pack and supplies. I did have to hike a bit up to where I hid him and that was it. I was completely exhausted. Loaded him and everything in the truck at 430pm and slowly made my way home. Water started staying down and I ate some. Reflecting the whole way home it’s a hunt I will never forget. I pushed my body and mental toughness past limits I thought were unachievable. All by my self.

One of the many cool details of this hunt is where I downed him. He is probably 75yards from the same rock structure and pointed rock I put him to bed at. See pics

460D3F6F-A315-4081-8060-AFF9816FAE54.png

07CE30DD-0D79-487F-BF2A-ADBACBB133DF.png

2DCC3C6D-4D3B-4CCE-8632-262D216D94BF.png

50AF8851-2629-48B5-8643-DC2D85BF88BB.png

Congratulations thanks for sharing with us, you may want to see about getting the onX screen shot removed or not sharing that for the public in the future. A lot of guys may frown about doing that on here.
Also why did you start the day throwing up ?

Thank you! And advise taken on the map.
I believe it was forcing food and water a bit before I started up the Mt. and the smoke it was think at night and most the mornings until it cleared a bit up high.

Congratulations!!! Sounds like it was a rough hunt. It will definitely be one you will remember. Great looking buck & well deserved.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom