FCFS changes

oilcan

Long Time Member
Not sure if this has been discussed but looks like there is a pretty significant change in the FCFS process this year. On the site it says you can only add 1 hunt to your cart per 7 days. So if you snatch it up real quick and decide that’s not what you wanted you’re pretty much screwed for a week, it could possibly leave them up for a tick longer unless it is one of the real premium tags. Personally I like it.

These things tend to get better over time. Anyone remember how much of a nightmare NDOW's tag site was when they came out with it a few years ago? Now I dont think twice about it. Time to start the tag watching! Already told the misses to clear the schedule this evening so I can sit and watch.

Been watching haven’t seen any tags pop up yet.
There's been a couple archery antelope so far that I've seen. Stayed up and available longer than I anticipated. It will be interesting to see how the 1 tag in cart/week will slow things down and make people think a little.

I talked to them last week about some issues with my account and they said last year the avg time a tag spent on FCFS was 2 seconds and this year it was 8 seconds. It seems like it stays on though through auto refreshes but really isn’t there, not exactly sure. Between a me and a buddy we’ve seen a few pronghorn and one cow elk archery tags.

I drew tags so I’ve only been looking out of curiosity but haven’t seen anything pop up. Granted, only being curious, I haven’t been watching like a hawk like I was last year.

I wonder how many people are logged in to FCFS “fishing” for tags at any given time.

I think you pretty much have to just leave it open and stare at the screen waiting for something to pop up.

I did this a week ago and finally saw something (I don’t think I will try this year to pick up anything). It was a junior tag and stayed up for maybe ten minutes, but I don’t think there was any way it truly was available for ten minutes.

Saw this one then refreshed then says 2 available

Screenshot_20220729-120528_Chrome.jpg

Seen one of those ag lands deprecation cow tags last week but decided to pass. 2 other archery deer tags too in the last week or so

I think with all the attention this new system drew last year and a couple guys just pounding all the start up issues,most of the problems have been cleaned up. I’m guessing a lot of guys who were playing the tag turn back game have stopped.My guess is you are also going to see a lot less tags available this year.Draw odds are getting so much worse you better be very careful playing with the system. Time will tell

I've seen quite a few tags pop up. Mostly archery antelope. However, someone got lucky as a Rifle antelope 041-042 popped up and an archery bull elk tag.

I've seen quite a few tags pop up. Mostly archery antelope. However, someone got lucky as a Rifle antelope 041-042 popped up and an archery bull elk tag.
****.. I've been on the girlfriends account trying to get her ALW Antelope. I know they will start coming but not many so far.

I hope that a 041-042 rifle pronghorn tag didn't pop up. The rules state that tags should go to an alternate if returned more that 14 days before the season starts. 041-042 Early ALW starts on August 22.-----SS

I hope that a 041-042 rifle pronghorn tag didn't pop up. The rules state that tags should go to an alternate if returned more that 14 days before the season starts. 041-042 Early ALW starts on August 22.-----SS
It did pop up I saw it , was the early hunt. I was wondering the same thing but I figured not that many made it there first choice and they went through the alternate list.

If you check the alternate box, do you HAVE to take an alternate tag if it is offered? Are you locked in? Otherwise, why wouldn't a guy want to be an alternate?

If you check the alternate box, do you HAVE to take an alternate tag if it is offered? Are you locked in? Otherwise, why wouldn't a guy want to be an alternate?
No not locked in.
Possibly if you lived on the East Coast you wouldn’t be able to make the trip on short notice?

14 business days. Started on the 2nd for ALW FCFS.

Horns longer came up but area 1. Too far for me. Also 2 junior tags

You are locked in. Good buddy of mine got an alternate tag in 2019. They don’t call you or anything. You get an email letting you know your card has been charged and your tag is in the mail. If you get it in the mail in time you can turn it back in, but it’s not like you get a phone call asking if you want it. I’m pretty sure that is why they do the 14 business days. I’d be pissed if I woke up to an email telling me my bull points were gone, I’m in a waiting period and the tag was on the way in the mail if the season opened in 3 days but I had already gone out of town on a trip or something.

Of course I’d likely be coming home from the trip early!

You are locked in. Good buddy of mine got an alternate tag in 2019. They don’t call you or anything. You get an email letting you know your card has been charged and your tag is in the mail. If you get it in the mail in time you can turn it back in, but it’s not like you get a phone call asking if you want it. I’m pretty sure that is why they do the 14 business days. I’d be pissed if I woke up to an email telling me my bull points were gone, I’m in a waiting period and the tag was on the way in the mail if the season opened in 3 days but I had already gone out of town on a trip or something.

Of course I’d likely be coming home from the trip early!
Finally someone who understands why the system is setup this way.

Finally someone who understands why the system is setup this way.
Don’t get me wrong. You auto sell me a bull tag and I’m coming home from my ski trip early, but what if you had left the country or something, it can become a logistical nightmare for the alternate

Don’t get me wrong. You auto sell me a bull tag and I’m coming home from my ski trip early, but what if you had left the country or something, it can become a logistical nightmare for the alternate
I was wrong I completely misunderstood the rule.Thank you for clearing that up.
That may change my strategy in the future.

Yes you are locked in.

If you check the alternate box and your first choice tag pops up, it automatically charges your card on file.

There could be plenty whonhad the hunt as their first choice and didn't check the alternate box.

I don't check the alternate box.

Would be nice if the tags that pop would be removed after they are picked up at the next refresh, not that they stay around that long, lmao! Was checking my smoker 10 minutes ago and returned to a resident buck archery in 051, pretty damn sure that went poof fast!

Any put anything into their cart yet this year? Curious if they are giving all the tag details now once there? Last year you only saw the species and no other info...crap shoot for unit and equipment!

I’d be in favor of an addition to the alternate box. You should get to choose to be an alternate and also a “last minute” alternate. Alternates work the same way. Last minute alternates you get a tag up to 5 days before the hunt (still have to allow some time for mail). Let people decide what they want their notice to be. If you choose last minute alternate you can’t go back and you are locked in. When your number is charged it’s your tag no matter what.

Anything turned back in after 5 days goes fcfs. But you can also have people say they would take something last minute. Gets more tags to alternates and puts less pressure on relying on fcfs

No tag details once the tag is added to your cart. You have to pay for the tag, then go back to your profile and look at your "Licenses and Permits" to see what you just bought.-----SS

No tag details once the tag is added to your cart. You have to pay for the tag, then go back to your profile and look at your "Licenses and Permits" to see what you just bought.-----SS
That's how it worked last year with my elk tag, was hoping they changed that. :rolleyes:

Saw another archery pop this morning for 171-173. My friends son is out scouting same units now.

As few tags as there have been this year I wouldn't be surprised if it goes away once the contract ends. No need to spend a bunch of money to sell 25 tags.

I'd be fine if it went away as long as they found some way to distribute the tags for use. In my opinion, the easiest way would be to expand the alternate program to include anyone who applied for the tag on any of their choices. I guarantee someone from the application pool would be more than glad to have the tag, even on short notice.
This is one thing I think Utah does right. If someone turns in a tag, they start going down the list of people who applied until someone takes the tag. This would also eliminate my pet peeve of selling resident tags to non-residents. -----SS

I'd be fine if it went away as long as they found some way to distribute the tags for use. In my opinion, the easiest way would be to expand the alternate program to include anyone who applied for the tag on any of their choices. I guarantee someone from the application pool would be more than glad to have the tag, even on short notice.
This is one thing I think Utah does right. If someone turns in a tag, they start going down the list of people who applied until someone takes the tag. This would also eliminate my pet peeve of selling resident tags to non-residents. -----SS
I like the suggestion of a check box for late alternate (within 7 days of hunt). But also if you choose that option, there would be no returning of the tag for points/refund.

That’s kind of where I was going with it. Late alternates would be the same as alternates. Just only they get automatically sold a returned tag late leading up to the hunt.

I bet most tags going fcfs aren’t for lack of alternates but the lateness when they are returned. You do the late alternates for residents only. You don’t offer it for non residents. This makes less resident tags go fcfs and the ones that do are non resident tags which can be bought by anyone.

This equates to more happy alternates, less fcfs tags, and the tags sold fcfs can go from non resident hands to resident hands. Everyone is happy. Ndow is happy tags get sold, alternates are happy. Hell even that crazy jdp guy might be happy with that.

Of course this is all a crap shoot idea if we don’t go to the commission with it

Imo, one way to eliminate fcfs issues is hunter etiquette. A person knows they are planning on returning a tag. Return the tag before the 14 day deadline so an alternate can get it. Very rarely does an issue come up causing someone to have to return a tag in that 14 day window prior to a hunt starting.

Imo, one way to eliminate fcfs issues is hunter etiquette. A person knows they are planning on returning a tag. Return the tag before the 14 day deadline so an alternate can get it. Very rarely does an issue come up causing someone to have to return a tag in that 14 day window prior to a hunt starting.
I agree with this. I drew too many tags this year and ended up returning a Bighorn Ewe tag just a few days after the results were out. I was happy to hear that the tag was immediately reassigned to an alternate that was thrilled to have it.

Even though it's currently legal, many tag holders spend the entire pre-season scouting, then turn the tag in at the last minute when they don't find the quality that they want. ---SS

Agreed.

I did have to return one last year because I was in the hospital with covid. Couldn't hunt. My wife physically took the tag into the Elko office 10 days before the season started. Not much we could do in that situation.

I think putting more stringent requirements on the return possibilities (any reason, medical, death, military, etc), would eliminate a lot of the tags being turned in as well.

I have been on there website everyday looking for tags and have never seen one ever. How are you guys seeing them?
There are so few this year you will spend hours watching to see an archery antelope tag pop up. Might be more frequent for residents.

What's with having the page where you have to enter resident, senior resident or non resident?......it knows who you are....and won't let you enter the wrong one....wtf is the point?

What's with having the page where you have to enter resident, senior resident or non resident?......it knows who you are....and won't let you enter the wrong one....wtf is the point?
I learned about this recently as I moved to Nevada but couldn’t claim residency for 6 months. After a call they explained that you can move at any time and by law you have to attest your date each time. They don’t know if you moved etc. I don’t mind it. Is it really that big of an inconvenience to type in a few numbers each time you log in?

I learned about this recently as I moved to Nevada but couldn’t claim residency for 6 months. After a call they explained that you can move at any time and by law you have to attest your date each time. They don’t know if you moved etc. I don’t mind it. Is it really that big of an inconvenience to type in a few numbers each time you log in?
It doesn't give you the option to say you just moved.....what's your point?...did I say it was an inconvenience?

It doesn't give you the option to say you just moved.....what's your point?...did I say it was an inconvenience?
Nope you didn’t. Sorry if I came off like a jerk. Long day at work and needed some online posting to clear my head made the mistake of jumping right in without reading more

I think our screens are different because I dont see that on mine. I have seen an 032 archery yesterday though.

032 archery deer up now
Expected to see many NW archery units pop, tough country with bow/fires. Rubies always pop, most tags! Was surprised to see the Antelope ALW in 251 so early...missed that one!

These pop so fast I am probably missing one as I type!

Expected to see many NW archery units pop, tough country with bow/fires. Rubies always pop, most tags! Was surprised to see the Antelope ALW in 251 so early...missed that one!

These pop so fast I am probably missing one as I type!
I have the alternate picked as my first choice for 251?

This went earlier today...

Res Elk Antlered Tag Unit: 072 - 074 • Archery • Aug 25, 2022 - Sep 16, 2022 8/12/22@1:46p

Date and time at the end are my tags.

This went earlier today...

Res Elk Antlered Tag Unit: 072 - 074 • Archery • Aug 25, 2022 - Sep 16, 2022 8/12/22@1:46p

Date and time at the end are my tags.
Wow I know a guy who had alternate marked and it was his first choice. Must’ve been turned in today

Wow I know a guy who had alternate marked and it was his first choice. Must’ve been turned in today
Yesterday or today, usually takes ndow a day to get them on FCFS. Too bad it wasn't on Wednesday or your buddy might have gotten that alt!

I had 12 points in that unit that would be about 4 or 5% odds in the draw so I will take that swap.
I have not hunted Nevada since I last lived here in the 90's so sitting on 2 points at 51 years....going:LOL: for broke!!!

@oilcan I also picked up an ALW Antelope tag but for unit 015, not too far from you. Good luck!
I almost put that one in my cart when it popped up but have 2 daughters to move at the end of the month so I wouldn't have had the time to concentrate on the tag. Congrats!

@lex I just returned my 015 lope tag and it was processed yesterday. Maybe you picked up the one I returned? If you want, PM me and I can share my scouting info with you. I hope you get a great buck.

@lex I just returned my 015 lope tag and it was processed yesterday. Maybe you picked up the one I returned? If you want, PM me and I can share my scouting info with you. I hope you get a great buck.
Thanks for the offer! There must be another lucky guy since I picked up the tag last week.

I am only interesting in converting a resident sheep tag into my NR name.......with way more than 2 weeks before any sheep season, is it even possible for one to show up now??

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom