Fed UP! with the point system

Clownpuncher

I think I am just flat fed up with this point system. I have 11 resident deer points and sitting in limbo and no idea of what to do with them. Every year the same thing. I am honestly envious of the people with 3-4 points. So frustrating!!!!

(Sorry, just needed to vent.)

What area are you putting in for that you can't draw with 11 points ? Well I am sure this is your year to draw your general deer tag !

Congrats on saving that many points. We almost always hunt a different area each year.

There are hunters everywhere in this state so just pick a place, make a plan, and hunt there. Good Luck!

2f350s: Hunt hard, hunt ethically.

Sorry first off. I meant to put this in the Colorado section. I was originally putting in for 21 3rd season until it went downhill, then 66 4th until the bad winter. I really don't want to wait for 44 3rd or 4th. Looking at 53 4th season but don't know a thing about it even though it's close. I've been trying to do a ton of research on good units but it's getting closer and closer to the deadline.

Do you get to do a lot of scouting for each unit when you keep changing? It seems hard to me to switch all the time and learn new areas, patterns, etc.

get onto gohunt or huntnfool or epic outdoors or some other hunting info website and pay the membership fee and do some research there. plenty of units that dont need that many points that will get you into the field, in a quality hunt. hunt more, wait less.

"Shoot Straight"

What's a point system? I thought you just put in for the draw and get a tag every year like I've been doing living here in New Mexico?

At least you're not in Utah...

11 points wouldn't guarantee you a tag in any Limited Entry deer unit for any type of hunt...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

I am just going to pass on a little bit of information that takes the point system to a whole new perspective.

A friend of my dad is an avid hunter, he hunts multiple states every year. He hunts mainly for mule deer. Now I am not advocating you do what he has been doing and still does for the last two decades. His trick, just pick a spot and go hunting. He does his research and finds an area that holds big deer and limited access. He does everything that you and I would do while hunting. The only difference is that he does not have a permit or tag. He just hunts. His outlook on being caught with out a license is, hey if I get to hunt for 5 years and never get caught and then at some point I get caught, it was still cheaper to pay the fine and loose maybe a rifle. And believe me he has taken some monster bucks in the last 20 some years. Has he been caught to date? No he has not. I know that he hunts a lot in Utah and Wyoming and Colorado. He has also hunted Montana and Idaho. This man saw the writing on the wall many years ago and just said the hell with applying for tags and having to wait. I am going to do it my way. Ethically and morally he is breaking the law. Do I agree with what he is doing, no I don't. Do I envy his trophies, Hell yes. The last time I spoke with him he explained it this way. I can either dream about hunting until I die or I can hunt until I die. He stated that he paid his fees In southeast Asia 30 years ago. He left behind pints of blood on the soil of Vietnam that his country did not give a crap about. He said not a day goes by that he does not vividly remember being near death and left to suffer in a POW camp for years. No I don't condone his methods, however I do not find what he does to be in any way offensive. Food for thought.

I'll bite, DIY. I know that you are only the messenger here, and so my comments are not intended to lecture you. I also doubt that the friend in question will ever read or care about my comment, but I will respond anyway, because I believe that we have to stand together and that to leave such questions unanswered is to demonstrate a complete lack of concern for the single aspect of our lives that brings many of us together as few other things can.

By standing together, I mean we all suffer the same hardships without trying to slough them off on someone else. A vet, of all people, should understand this. To cheat in this manner is to steal from one's own friends--or those who you may never have met, but who remain equally deserving of respect. I am sorry that your friend did not receive his due when he returned from Nam, but it is a cop-out to use ungrateful whiners as an excuse to trash the rest of society. My dad was a Nam vet, too. He may not have received a lot of slaps on the back when he came home, but he gets a call and a word of thanks from me every Veteran's day, and hugs from his grandkids when we get together at Thanksgiving. He damn sure understands the motive and the reward of his sacrifice.

Once we start down that road your friend has chosen, there is no form of injustice that we cannot justify. Thank God there are still a few principled people. These are the people who will make the world the kind of place I intended when I decided to raise my own family. These are the people our kids will spend their own lives with. And the rest can fall off the face of the earth, for all I care.

Bull, I do not condone his actions in any way. I myself have a strict moral code and do my best to do everything in my life on the right side of the law. Be it obeying the speed limit or hunting by the rules imposed by the governing body. I have been faced with decisions while hunting that would truly test your resolve. Every time I have made the right decision and feel a better hunter and sportsman for doing so. Many times I could have upgraded after I have harvested an animal, however I have never do so. Believe me the temptation was there. \The story I passed along was just one mans view of the ethical decisions that one finds themselves in. Like I stated in the story, it is not a road I am willing to go down. I also want the future of hunting to be there for my children and grandchildren.

Yes, DYI, I understand. As I tried to say, my comment was not meant to be critical of you. You have simply put forth some food for thought, and my thoughts on this topic are pretty strong. I think people need to know that many of us feel this way--hunters are still the world's greatest conservationists.

What a selfish *(&&^&

He got paid back then. I am sitting on 20 legal points for elk in Utah. Your Father in law...or whoever he is didnt sacrifice in korea....or a pow camp....he put in some time and got paid back in big game tags he never legally obtained.

I hope he gets slammed.

I have a 14 year old boy that loves hunting. We obey the laws. That little guy would love to hunt a trophy but hasnt even been allowed to put in.

Your "buddy" is a real piece of shatoka. Or, you are like a baby diaper....full of shatoka.

My hunting buddy is a CO. See ya on a ridge in G.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

DIY, first, I can't believe you posted that unless you are just trolling. Second, you could have saved a lot of breath and just said, "Who needs tags when you can just POACH deer?!" I mean you do understand that your "dad's friend" is just a straight-up poacher, right? You do understand that he is just flat out stealing game from other hunters, right? I don't have permission to go into this man's house and take things that aren't mine; however, using his logic, that doesn't matter, and I might as well just walk in the front door and hope i don't get caught.

Yes, the man paid a great sacrifice serving our country, but so have hundreds of thousands of others! Yes, I read your post where you said you don't condone his actions, but in your original post you suggested that others could just poach if they don't like the points system. I mean WTF? If this guy regularly just goes hunting wherever he wants, whenever he wants, and has the balls to brag about it to other people...I mean come on man! I'm sure the majority of us have ridden that grey line before in some aspect of our lives, but what you are talking about isn't even close. Instead of telling others to copy him, how about you tell the authorities about him and force him to follow the same rules as the rest of us! I can smell the arrogance of this guy through the computer...

All I can say is WOW!! I would turn that POS in to the authorities in a heartbeat!!! I don't care if it was my dads friend, I would tell him to his face he is a poacher POS!!! I thank him for his service to our country, but that in NO WAY makes what he is doing justifiable!!! DIY you need to do the right thing & turn him in. You say you don't condone it, but you know he is doing it & choose to do nothing about it.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-17 AT 09:37AM (MST)[p]
Hey attorneys, could DWR read this thread and get a prosecutor to issue a material witness warrant with DIY's name on it to compel him to testify?

I think he's probably making it up, but it would be funny for him to have to admit that to a prosecutor.

Grizzly

I knew some of you would not be to happy with this gentleman. Just remember that you have the freedom to bash him because of men like him that served and are serving. Like I mentioned, it is not my way of doing it, I am holding 17 Pauns points.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-26-17 AT 03:22PM (MST)[p]Timothy McVeigh served in the military too... what's your point?

Military service doesn't mean you get cart blanche to be a thief the rest of your life. And yes, poachers are thieves.

Grizzly

You wrote... "Like I mentioned, it is not my way of doing it... I don't condone his methods, however I do not find what he does to be in any way offensive."

-----------

?The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.? -Edmund Burke

Grizzly, I know exactly what I said. I do not condone his action, however I do not find them offensive in this case. The two can be stated in the same paragraph. Just because I don't agree with what he has done in the past does not remand me to find it offensive. I know you think you are taking the high road on this matter. And maybe you are, you just can't change my views. Walk a mile in his shoes and maybe you wouldn't be so quick to throw stones. But then again who knows.

After reading your post DIY, I do not believe you can call yourself an ethical and moral Hunter. Just the fact that you know this is going on, I believe you have an obligation to turn him in. Idaho, Montana, California and Colorado all have OTC hunting opportunities for mule deer and elk. So it's not the fact of him not being able to hunt, its the fact that he's hunting trophy areas and is a straight up poacher. When he gets caught, he will be thrown in the western compound and will lose all his privileges in all states for life.

Reading stuff like this truly makes me sick.

Mig, you dear sir are entitled to your opinion, as am I. I am not looking for your approval or disapproval in this case. You can all stand up there on your pedestal and wave your moral code for all to see. However deep down in each one of you there is a dark side that has not been told. You repress your dirty deeds and stand before your fellow man and confess your purity for all to hear. BS. We have all done things that we regret but hide from the rest of the world. The things that were forced upon this human being are so reprehensible that you and I would have died trying to endure. His country did not try to save him, his own people, the very ones he though he was willing to die for did mot care. They as you don't want to hear the horrors the he suffered. When after 5 years of suffering came to and end and he was returned to his country, was there anyone there to help him mend? No. His country, our country shuffled him off as tarnished goods. This country did not offer any support or compensation. He was one of those forgotten souls who were sent to a place where they were not sanctioned to be. However it was our government that sent him there and left him there to rot so as not to be embarrassed for breaking a treaty that they agreed too. So like I stated previously, do not cast stones until you have walked a mile in his shoes.

DIY I beleive our govt has no doubtly crapped on this guy & many other vets that fought in vietnam, but that in noway gives him the right to do what he is doing!!! You can try to justify it anyway you want. I will call him what he is a straight up POS poacher. Doesn't matter if he has seen atrocities as have other vets that fought in vietnam. Walking in his shoes has nothing to do with it.
We have laws in this country for a reason, and he is stealing from everyone who enjoys the outdoors. I completely understand he feels cheated by our govt, but so have others. I hope he gets caught & if I ever seen or met him I would turn his ass in no questions asked.
Justify it however you want, but you are 100% wrong in your thinking. Like you stated you are entiltled to your opinion. You say you do not condone his actions but in your last post you justify everything he is doing. You are a complete hypocrite!!!!

There are a lot of good organizations helping our country's heroes go hunting. This individual could simply hook up with one of these organizations and not have to break the law. More and more vets are getting great tags every year including sheep tags.

I know of a Wy bull moose permit to be transferred to a Veteran This year if the tag gets drawn.

DIY, by your same logic then the following would be allowed:

Black people were once slaves and so now should be able to do whatever they want.

Native Americans have been marginalized, tortured, and sent to reservations to rot. Now they should be able to do whatever they want.

My kid didnt get his Cheerios now he should be able to do whatever he wants.

I was passed over for college acceptance at Harvard because of Affirmative action so now I should be able to do whatever I want.

Martin Luther Kings kids should be able to do whatever they want.....

You get the idea. So, you said all of us have a dark side that we repress. Not so my lil friend, many of us have seen the dark side and understand it exists but we consiocly choose what we WANT which is truth, right, good, and happiness. Because you come from a home where the dark side was hidden and chosen doesnt mean the rest of the world acts that way. Granted many do, but many of us come from homes, and now have created homes, where truth, right, and happiness reign supreme and allow our children to flourish knowing what we know....good decisions and correct principles lead to happiness.

This man, choosing to hunt and break laws, follows neither truth or correct principles, no wrong makes a right....and no right justifies a wrong.

You sir, are wrong......not on opinion....but on principle. You are entitled to your opinion....but it is still wrong.

You have been measured....and found wanting. Good luck with that.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Bottom line DIY is that you DO condone his actions because you know he is doing it, yet you have done nothing to stop him or turn him in. That is the very definition of the word (to disregard or overlook).

A law is a law, and yes there are degrees to all things, but this guy is flat out stealing from you and me, and you are ok turning a blind eye to it all?

I don't care if he saved the planet from an alien invasion. Still a poacher. Still has to follow the laws. Nobody gets a free pass.

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak. So
we must and we will."
Theadore Roosevelt

So I guess my post must have been to explicit and got taken down.

I will try again and water it down a bit. If there was a POW that did harm to your family or his. Let's say your daughters would that be ok with you both because of what he had to endure?

As a vet I respect all those who have served, especially in Vietnam combat. Regardless of whether they got paid, they sacrificed at levels few, to include myself, will ever fully know!

That said, this dudes vet status does not automatically make him a good person or give him the right to act in such a way with any of our American resources!

I would turn him in as fast as my phone could dial the closes LEO!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom