Federal B.O.R. Lock 270gr performance

DoubleU

I jumped in a few of these threads over the summer while preparing for my CO mule deer hunt and thought I'd share my experience with the BOR lock.

My accuracy load was was found with 85gr of BH 209. I chrono?d it at 1812 FPS out of my TC Encore. I shot feral swine all summer here in TX to test the bullet. I was getting mixed results, some large boars I got complete pass thru on the shoulder, and if it got back of the shoulder a bit toward the rib cage there was little, if any, blood trail. The distances were all varied but most pigs were at 50 yds or so. I was a little skeptical as to what bullet performance would be on mule deer at 100 yds. I had developed and practiced this load all summer so it was gonna be as it was.

Fast forward September muzzy season in CO, about 110 yds, bullet placed pretty good at rear seam of the shoulder. The bullet did not pass thru, and buck took three leaps was was out before he hit the ground. The entry hole estimated at about an inch and half a lung was hanging out of the entrance hole when I walked up on him. I was impressed with bullet performance of the BOR Lock and will continue this load for deer. Time to develop an elk load!

35763c8e1e9a1df2c4f33bbee3a23d3f1f8ec.jpeg

Here?s a 270 grain Bore Lok that came out of my friends dead Colorado buck.
Looks like pretty lethal performance if you ask me.
A word of caution though. These bullets fit fairly loose and have a tendency to not stay seated after bouncing around.
His first shot was a misfire because the bullet slid about halfway down the barrel and had to be reloaded. So be sure to check and make sure these bullets stay seated in your gun while out hunting.

I used this slug with 110 Grains of Blackhorn 209 and smashed a big bull. I double lunged him with the slug passing through everything besides the cape for an exit. When I recovered the bullet it was bigger than a quarter. The bull maybe went 45 yards. I was very happy with the performance.

Just FYI, the 85 gr load of BH 209 is close to equivalent to 100 gr of real black or regular pyrodex. I use 95 gr of BH 209 for my elk load but use a bigger bullet. The 100-110 amount for this bullet seems about right for an elk

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I used this slug with 110 Grains of Blackhorn 209 and smashed a big bull. I double lunged him with the slug passing through everything besides the cape for an exit. When I recovered the bullet it was bigger than a quarter. The bull maybe went 45 yards. I was very happy with the performance.
Was that with the 270 gr bullet?

Look, a bullet that opens darn near to 1" diameter is basically a parachute being pushed through that animal. I don't think its going far with a solid hit to the vitals with a bullet that large in diameter having gone through its lungs/heart.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom