Federal Bear Baiting Ban HR 1472 (Must Read)

• Thread starter Vince (Colorado)
  • Start date
V

Vince (Colorado)

Hey Guys, make your voice heard! This will allow the Feds to manage what is/should be on the State level. It's long, but a must read!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
--"108th Congress, 1st session, H.R.1472 ("Don't Feed the Bears Act of 2003").--

--"In the House of Representatives" March 27,2003"
"Mr. Gallegly (for himself and Mr. Moran of Virginia) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committe on Resources".--

--"To require the adoption and enforcement of regulations to prohibit the intentional feeding of bears on Federal pulblic lands in order to end the hunting practice known as "bear baiting" and reduce the number of dangerous interactions between people and bears."--

I sent Congressman Bob Beauprez (My Representative R-CO) a letter stating my alas opposition, and this was his reply;

"Thank you for your recent communication regarding the ?Don?t Feed the Bears Act of 2003.?

"I appreciate hearing from you on this issue."

"Commonly referred to as ?bear baiting,? the practice of dumping food to attract bears for hunting purposes creates many problems. ?Bear Baiting? sometimes consists of a cache of hundreds of pounds of human food in order to lure bears to humans. Some believe this allows bears to recognize the smell of human food and as a result attracts them to residential areas. Coloradoans understand the unintended effects of this hunting method first hand, and voted to ban this practice in 1992. Currently, House Resolution 1472 would ban this practice across the entire nation. While I believe it is important for each state to evaluate their laws individually, I will give this legislation full consideration if it reaches the House floor."

"Again, thank you for sharing your concerns with me. I appreciate your opinions and hope you will not hesitate to contact me with any future comments or concerns. I also invite you to visit my website at www.house.gov/beauprez."

Sincerely,
Bob Beauprez
This is NOT Good Guys!

Make your voice heard by contacting members of the House Resources Subcommittee on Fisheries Conservation, Wildlife and Oceans and ask them to vote NO on H.R.1472 ("Don't Feed the Bears Act of 2003".
You can find your Representative and his or her contact information at http://www.house.gov/writerep/ or call the Washington D. C. office at (800) 711-8315.
Contact the Chairman of he Resources Committee, Richard Pombo (R-CA) as well at [email protected] of fax (202) 226-0861

Later-
Vince (Colorado)

Good News, for now!

Here is the Press release from the US Sportsmen's Alliance:

Federal Anti-Bear Hunting Bill Dies in Committee.

Bill Could Still Be Amended to Interior Spending Bill.

(Columbus) ? Congressional legislation to ban bear hunting was withdrawn from consideration by a House committee today. Intense sportsmen?s pressure, drummed up by the U.S. Sportsmen?s Alliance National Bear Hunting Defense Task Force and other hunters? groups, ensured that proponents lacked the necessary votes to send the bill to the House floor.

HR 1472, introduced by U.S. Reps. Jim Moran, D-Va., and Elton Gallegly, R-Calif., would have banned the use of bait to hunt black bears on federal land.

?The withdraw of HR 1472 is a victory for America?s sportsmen and wildlife management professionals,? said U.S. Sportsmen?s Alliance Senior Vice President Rick Story. ?But the fight is not over. The U.S. House of Representatives is expected to vote on the Department of Interior spending bill on July 17, and it is likely that the sponsors of HR 1472 will attempt to amend their language into the appropriations bill.?

The U.S. Sportsmen?s Alliance is calling on sportsmen to contact their U.S. representatives asking them to oppose language that would ban the use of bait for bear hunting. Legislators need to know that state wildlife management agencies are charged with the responsibility of managing resident wildlife, like black bears, that occur on federal lands. Sportsmen can find contact information for their congressmen using the Legislative Action Center at www.ussportsmen.org or calling (202) 224-3121.

The U.S. Sportsmen?s Alliance protects the rights of hunters, anglers and trappers nationally in the courts, legislatures, at the ballot, in Congress and through public education programs. For more information about the U.S. Sportsmen?s Alliance and its work, call (614) 888-4868 or visit its website, www.ussportsmen.org.

Information provided by Tim M. (Bowsite)

Later-

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom