federal fusion 165 or 180 gr?

HIcountryman

Very Active Member
Im on a tight budget this season. Anyone shoot the federal fusion bullet at elk? I am leaning toward 165 grain as i want to eventually find a nice round for both deer and elk.
Or would you go with the 180 grain? Does faster velocity of 165 compare to the energy generated by the weight of the 180?

Do they about euual - out in energy at the target at about 200 or 300 yards?

I shoot a 300wsm and load 165-168 gr bonded bullets for it, the spouse loads 180 gr bullets. My 165's have taken cow bison, moose, elk, deer, pronghorn and now bighorn sheep all with one shot kills. My loads also do not have quite the drop the spouses' 180 bullets do.
Either is fine but I prefer the 165-168 for the little bit flatter shot at distance.
My farthest shot is 452 yds on a cow bison.
My last small 5 pt elk fell like a tons of rocks when hit.
The spouse swears by his 180 gr partitions, I load Grand slams and A- frames mostly, some trophy bonded tips to check out.

I shoot a 300 RUM for elk and deer. I use the 200 gr accubond. Seems to do the job on elk. A bit overkill for deer but.......as long as you place the ##### right, you'll walk away with some meat lol!

I'm on the same quest for my .300wm. Did I miss what cartridge and rifle you are shooting out of?

There are tons of calculators online to compare 165 vs. 180gr relative to drop, energy, etc.. But I believe the consensus is you should have 1500ft/lbs of energy to kill an elk, and 1000ft/lbs for a deer.

I would think that Fusion bonded soft point bullet (in either weight) would be fine for deer and elk at reasonable distances.

I've always been told that rifles will "like" certain bullet weights, probably due to twist rates, etc. I'd also lean toward 165 for both animals, but whatever shoots best!

https://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_ballistics_table.htm

https://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_ballistics_table2.htm

http://guide.sportsmansguide.com/ballisticscharts/

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

Tight budget and elk hunting don't go together. Hell , gas is expensive, bullets better be a good quality. I just took 4 elk quarters to processor it was $285.00
Then the taxidermy bill was $1300 And I'm the taxidermist. Lol
It will be cheaper to go to wal mart. Lol
But not as fun. My 270 WSM likes the 140 grain Nosler accubonds But They are $70 a box. Never shot the fusions as I believe they expand too fast for large game. I may be wrong on that but I believe I read that somewhere.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will be shooting .30 06 at hopefully a calf! I'm not a long range guy, 300 yds is what i am comfortable with. I hear you that cutting corners on bullet cost may be a bad road to take...

Just looking for an inexpensive elk load for .30 06, kinda wanting to go to 165 grain. Been shooting 180 gr Hornady SST for years. Don't think they are the best choice for elk, too frangible.

>Thanks for the replies guys.
> I will be shooting
>.30 06 at hopefully a
>calf! I'm not a
>long range guy, 300 yds
>is what i am comfortable
>with. I hear you
>that cutting corners on bullet
>cost may be a bad
>road to take...
>
>Just looking for an inexpensive elk
>load for .30 06, kinda
>wanting to go to 165
>grain. Been
>shooting 180 gr Hornady SST
>for years. Don't think they
>are the best choice for
>elk, too frangible.

165 grain is an excellent bullet. You can't go wrong with that.

I shoot fusions and they are awesome never had an animal take another step when shot. I have shot both 165 and 180 both do a great job

Fusions are just fine for elk. Trust me, the elk will not know a difference between the 165 or the 180 just pick the one the gun likes.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom