Federal Fusion on elk?

270Whatelse

My dad shoots a .300 Win and is currently shooting the 165 grain fusions for deer. He plans on taking the same bullet elk hunting this year anyone use this bullet on elk? Is it tough enough or should I talk him into something tougher? Or am I overthinking things?

Yup, you're overthinking it. Fine bullet for Elk. Hit 'em in the right spot and you'll have nothing to worry about.

I looked at it and went with the Accubond instead. Just is a little tougher bullet that can do things where the fusion might fail.

There have been plenty of elk killed with a Remington Core-lokt bullet too, but I am just one who likes to have a little extra cushion if bullet placement is not ideal

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

>I looked at it and went
>with the Accubond instead.
>Just is a little tougher
>bullet that can do things
>where the fusion might fail.
>
>
>There have been plenty of elk
>killed with a Remington Core-lokt
>bullet too, but I am
>just one who likes to
>have a little extra cushion
>if bullet placement is not
>ideal
>
>txhunter58
>
>venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore
>I am)

An poorly shot animal will typically yield the same outcome. Regardless of bullet construction.

Sure, if you are talking about a gut shot animal, then I 100% agree. But Elk and other game don't always present a perfect broadside ribs only/ through the lungs only shot. If the only shot I have is a quartering to shot, I would have confidence that a tougher bullet would make it through the shoulder bones and still get the job done. Not so much with fusion.

Also, I would love to say I have never flubbed a shot, but the truth is most of us have, including me. Having a tough bullet for a big tough animal just makes sense.

Federal does not recommend the fusion for elk. That is their deer bullet. If you want to take only ideal shot positions, from a bench, with no wind, and under 200 yards, then a 243 rifle is plenty of gun too.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I actually had a bullet failure with fusion on a whitetail. I wouldn't recommend it. I think your accubond choice is much better. Good luck!

>
>
>An poorly shot animal will typically
>yield the same outcome. Regardless
>of bullet_

I strongly disagree with that comment.

180GR .308 @ 175 Yards, double lung.. being an elk it got up but next shot took out the front knee.. it was done before i got to it but next time ill use something better

The fusion will work fine. We have taken several different animals with them. Years back, I shot a bison with them. It was a back up gun that I was using (I crashed the other one). I’m 99% sure that it was a 150 grain bullet and it worked fine.

My son killed a bear 2 weeks ago with a 30-06, 165 fusion. I was a little surprised by it in that the entry was about 4” in diameter and it did not exit. It was a 40 yard shot. Odd to me…

My dad shoots a .300 Win and is currently shooting the 165 grain fusions for deer. He plans on taking the same bullet elk hunting this year anyone use this bullet on elk? Is it tough enough or should I talk him into something tougher? Or am I overthinking things?

The fusion will work fine. We have taken several different animals with them. Years back, I shot a bison with them. It was a back up gun that I was using (I crashed the other one). I’m 99% sure that it was a 150 grain bullet and it worked fine.

My son killed a bear 2 weeks ago with a 30-06, 165 fusion. I was a little surprised by it in that the entry was about 4” in diameter and it did not exit. It was a 40 yard shot. Odd to me…
“The entry was about 4”. “

That is not a good advertisement for a bullet for an elk. You need them to penetrate AND expand. That fusion certainly expanded. Not what I want to hear on a bullet I am taking elk hunting. There are better bullets out there.

You realize this thread is 3 years old? The OP long ago made a decision and hunted.

I’m not advertising for the bullet, only posting my experience with. I could not care less if one chooses to use them or not. Yes, I agree that it’s not what one would want to “hear”.

No, I did not realize this thread was 3 years but I do appreciate you pointing that out.

I started reading this yesterday, then realized it was several years old. Doesn't matter because in 2020, before they got scarce, I bought about 10 boxes of Fusion 165 grain in 300 Win Mag. With the plan to use it for anything I typically hunt with a centerfire - whitetail, mule deer, wild hogs, and elk.

Planning on using it on my elk hunt this fall.

Here's a couple videos. I originally thought this was a Federal Fusion ad, but it isn't.

Hard Ammo to find now for sure. Do a search for Fusion Ammo in the Elk forum. There are some results from a few years back, that will answer any doubts you have.

Has it been used successfully in elk? Absolutely. I would have no hesitation on using it if it was the best bullet I could get.

But there are better constructed bullets out there for elk sized animals. Give me a nosler partition or accubond any day over a fusion.

Funny you’d mention that Txhunter. I found and purchased several boxes of accubonds and Nosler partitions for my .300 Win a few months back. I’m going to see what shoots best and use one of them got an upcoming sheep hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom