Federal Proposals to CLOSE Alaska's GMU 23 and 26A to caribou and moose hunters

Wasatch

Hey guys, for anyone who has already booked a hunt this year or for anyone interested in hunting caribou and or moose in Northwest Alaska, there is currently a proposal out there to close hunting in GMU 23 and 26A for non-subsistence hunters. We all need to make our voice heard. If you can call in Friday night, please do so. If not, please send an email to the FSB letting them know you do not support or approve of this measure...

https://www.doi.gov/subsistence/new...y-announced-temporary-wildlife-special-action

Yeah sad state of affairs for sure. To put in perspective how big of a closure this is it’s about the size of the state of Wyoming..

Any reason why? Would they open it back after September 30th? Is it the state or the federal government driving this? That announcement didn't include too make details.

I did not see the reason why it is being closed? Is it to much pressure on the Natives,are game numbers way down?

The caribou herd has about 238,000 animals. Harvest by the locals is around 10,000 to 12,000. Non locals it’s about 250 caribou.

It’s all about greed and nothing more.

If you’re up for some “light” reading, here’s the full documentation regarding why. They kept bringing up wasted meat, meat in trash bags etc. But the enforcement folks on the line said that they could not substantiate any of the rumors and that they had seen almost all successful hunters using game bags etc. All of it just hearsay.

Agree it’s all hearsay. If they want to question meat care take a look at themselves.

SS, I’m surprised that you don’t support this closure. I thought that you would support the original residents (natives) and let them decide who can and can’t hunt their game. I guess this a good example where you need non- resident support to push back on these liberal ideas.

SS, I’m surprised that you don’t support this closure. I thought that you would support the original residents (natives) and let them decide who can and can’t hunt their game. I guess this a good example where you need non- resident support to push back on these liberal ideas.
It’s not their game. And we don’t need non resident support on this issue. I would argue it would actually hurt. And for the record I didn’t say if I was for or against it.

Also you might want to look up the word liberal as this is far from it.

As a liberal who happens to hunt, I can see why you’re conflicted on whether to support it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom