Federal Vital Shok Premium w/Nosler Accubonds

G

grayghost

I had my concerns when I chose this new load for my .280 a few months back. I was going to Africa for Plains game and Speer no longer loads my favorite Nitrex Grand Slams. Federal is using the 160 grain Nosler Accubond, so I thought I would give them a try at the range. Accuracy was good (X @ 200 yds) but would they hold together on larger game? I researched all I could but no solid information. Couldn't find anyone who had hunted Africa with them and most said I would be way under gunned. I didn't bother mentioning that I would also be taking a similar Federal load in 60gr Nosler Partitions for my .223 Rem. Now I'm home and I can say without reservation: this is a very effective load for big game. Here's a basic run down of my hunt. PT= bullet passed through animal. R= bullet recovered
Red Hartebeast @ 297 yards - 1 shot, went 10 yards, broke shoulder. (PT far side)
Impala @ 220 yards - 1 shot, went 20 yards. (PT far side)
Red Lechwe @ 213 yards - 1 shot, went 10 yards. Broke far shoulder. (PT far side)
Bull Gemsbok @ 203 yards - 1 shot, went 40+ yards. Heart shot, broke far shoulder. (PT)
Black Wildebeast @ 220 yards walking - 3 shots: 1. Broke R shoulder, now at a gallop 2. Heart shot, went short distance and went down. Tried to get up, 3. Double lung shot (PT's)
Bushbuck @ 135 yards - 1 shot, went 35 yards. (PT)
Warthog @ 125 yards running - 1 shot, dropped in tracks. (PT)
Blesbok @ 137 yards - 1 shot, frontal angle, stumbled and fell. (R)
Cape Kudu @ 220 yards - 1 shot, went 35 yards. (R)
Nyala @ 45 yards - 1 shot, frontal angle, went 35 yards (PT)
Six other animals were taken with the .223 successfully. My initial concern was the powder charge in the 160gr Accubonds, but after seeing the result and examining two of the recovered bullets, a maximum charge may have been too much velocity and resulted in lesser results. I am very pleased with the performance of this load and bullet. I plan on continuing to use them for Whitetails, Mule Deer and Pronghorn Antelope. I wouldn't have any concern using them on Elk or Black Bear either. If your gun shoots them accurately, I think they will do an excellent job on big game. Good hunting, grayghost

Thanx for the post, Grayghost. I'll be trying them on for size this year for two Elk hunts here in Wyoming. What sold me on giving them a chance was the really good grouping I'm getting with the 180's out of my old favorite Savage '06. They're not a sooped-up round either. The weapon likes a standard velocity--so do I.

Mike

GH,
I too shoot a .280 Rem in a Browning A-Bolt Stalker.
I have been using the Federal Premium w/ Nosler Partitions in 150 & 160gr. Is there much difference in these two loads/bullets compared to the Accubonds?

Brian

Put an Accubond into a cow last Friday. Head-on shot, about 90 yards. Bullet went in her chest, turned the heart to tomato paste, and did not trash the gut bag. She took zero steps and I got 100% meat recovery other than the heart.

Mike

I took my 280 and 160gr accubond handloads to Africa last year. Had 4 one shot kills. Impala, bushbuck, warthog and blue wildebeest. Only one recovered was out of the wildebeest, 1/4 away shot found lodged under the skin at point of far shoulder.

I've killed a couple elk with them too.

Now for the important part....Where are the pictures of your African trip?

>GH,
>I too shoot a .280 Rem
>in a Browning A-Bolt Stalker.
>
>I have been using the Federal
>Premium w/ Nosler Partitions in
>150 & 160gr. Is
>there much difference in these
>two loads/bullets compared to the
>Accubonds?
>
>Brian

I switched from 150 partitions to 160 accubonds, both loaded by Federal. They both drop about the same out to 350 yards, and in my rifle atleast, they shot close enough to the same POI that I can use the loads interchangably
---------------------------------------
This is my post

I've just pissed in my pants.......and nobody can do anything about it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom