Fee increase, anyone out?

After about 15 yrs of applying and unsuccessful ,i'm still in for the draws.

Hunted Idaho every year since 1985. I am not going this year, too many wolves and the fee increase have made me lose my appetite for Idaho elk. Not going to spend $1500 to look at wolf tracks.

Me and my hunting party are not going up. It was bad enough at last year's cost, since the wolves and poor deer management have made deer hunting in Idaho no fun. Hopefully the price will come down, and the deer populations recovering. I'm dreaming right!

I'm out too. Idaho seriously needs to wake up and do something with the deer herds!

"Dear MacGuyver, Enclosed is a rubber band, a paper clip, and a drinking straw. Please save my dog." Peter Griffin aka The Family Guy

LAST EDITED ON Feb-05-09 AT 03:26PM (MST)[p]I just thought I would ask. I also won't be going to Idaho. Fee's are up and deer numbers are down. With the economy the way it is, I don't think a lot of people are willing to throw 450 bucks out to have the chance at shooting a forkie. Winters have been hard, predators are abundant and the general hunt is a zoo with all the people. It's no wonder why deer numbers are down.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-05-09 AT 03:34PM (MST)[p]F&G actually admitted today on the radio, that the 15% decrease in big game herds was due to the 7% increase in wolves... Now lets see what gets done about it!! So at this rate, we got what, maybe 5 years untill hunting is banned to feed the S.O.B's

Maybe draw odds will be better this year. Not for me though, I'm out. Havn't drawn a controlled hunt in 10 years of trying. Was probably my year to draw! Might apply again, in the future, who knows?

Don P.

Better chance killing a bull in general than in draw units anymore. Even I have quit buying elk tags. Never thought I would see the day. too many wolves. SSS DJ

Hell i live in Idaho and have been here my whole life 46 yrs
and i am going out of state for most of my hunting this year.
I was getting pretty tired of the direction things have been heading around here several years ago, so i started sniffing around in other states and liked what i seen..
so i am hoping for deer and elk tags in Montana, if not this year its a pretty sure bet next year,, Wyoming for antelope
been doing most of my bird hunting in south Dakota and Nevada, and will get an Oregon licence for birds and varmits this year..
went to Arizona for javelina last January and had a great time there, that's a hunt that i will be doing every year from here on out..and am now working on a moose & caribou hunt in Alaska..
its kind of heart breaking to leave the areas i have hunted all of my life,, but it looks like the party is all over here now..
the last straw was when Idaho made non res tags available to resident's... i will still mess around and donate some money for some draw hunts, but i doubt i will ever buy another sports mans package just a hunting and fishing licence from now on..
in a strange sort of way it has been kind of a blessing Idaho hunting has gone to hell, now i am getting out and seeing and hunting a bunch of new country that i would have never considered before..

LAST EDITED ON Mar-04-09 AT 03:06PM (MST)[p]I have been hunting here in ID since I was a little kid, and I stopped buying the sportsman pack 3 years ago. I put in for the draws but wont buy anything but a deer tag unless I draw. I hunted West TX 2 years ago and had a blast, I have family in WY and CO, that is where I will do most of my elk and deer hunting, S. Dakota for birds. Its a shame, I remember growing up and hunting general areas for deer and elk and taking nice bucks and bulls almost every year. I went back into that country 4 years ago after being out of state for a while, and saw a few deer no elk in almost a week, keep in mind I have hunted this area for almost 15 years, did see a bunch of really big dogs. And now F&G wants to raise prices??!! That makes alot of sense.... Its too bad cause I am done here in ID, so are most of my family and friends.

-Ed

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom