Field Judging Antelope

woodruffhunter

Long Time Member
My dad has an antelope tag for Rich County. Being that this area is in my back yard, I will have many opportunities to scout.

However, I have no experience whatsover in field judging them. Can anyone give me some advice?

Also, can any of you post pic's of antelope that have made the minimum requirements to book in B&C.

As always, your help is appreciated.

Jason

Congrads to your dad on the antelope tag. I've been hunting antelope since I was old enough to hold up a bow or rifle. Every time I seem to think I have antelope field judging down to a "T" I walk up to a buck and get the dreaded ground shrinkage.

Next to mtn goats, where 1/2" can make or break a score, I believe antelope are one of the toughest North Amer critters to judge. One thing I can almost guarantee is that if a buck doesn't have good mass he will not score well! There are a total of 8 mass measurements in the B&C score, 2 horn length, and 2 prong length. Usually if any of these measurements are lacking the buck you are looking at will likely not make B&C.

Each particular state and area "generally" produces a particular horn confirmation. A particular year's horn growth can depend a lot upon winter/early spring moisture but for the most part some parts of the country produce B&C bucks each year while others will never produce that quality of bucks. Some areas produce massive horns and long prongs while another area may produce skinny 16"+ horns.

Since you live in the area you'll be hunting you are one step ahead of most guys. Get out and look over as many bucks as you can find. Once you've looked at 50 to 100 bucks you'll know when you see a buck that stands out...compared to the rest in your area! If you have any doubt the buck you are interested in will not make B&C..keep looking! When you see a big'un it will make your eyes bulge and your trigger finger throb!

I'm not familiar with what the area you are hunting is capable of producing, but if you go to some local taxidermist you can get a close look at some of the racks, photos, etc that are in his shop and taken in the area. Take a tape measure along and measure the different horns and measurements. Estimate what you think they are and then put a tape on them.

I often video some of the better bucks I have scouted. I can take the tapes home and really look in detail at what they look like on a big screen TV. Hope this helps? Good luck!

Buy a DVD of the new film "Size is Everything" Judging Trophy Pronghorn. It lays out a reasonable method of field judging pronghorns. It's not a hunting video, just footage of large trophy bucks and how to come up with a reliable score.

Having spent a lot of time in antelope country (NW Nevada)I would agree with Zim. If you are not sure, it is probablly a 65"-75" antelope. When you see a big one (80"+) there is no question. This dilema becomes much more difficult when the season is open and a 70" antelope is at 250 yards. I believe I have only seen two "book" bucks and there was no question whether or not I would pull the trigger, if I had a tag and the season was open. I have a 70" buck on the wall and he looks great. Keep your expectations reasonable for the area your hunting!

089906.jpg

089918.jpg

Here is one that my buddy thought was a monster. It was his first antelope hunt and we had been hunting two days and he just was certain this was the one. Anyway it wasn't

Nemont

You bring up some excellent and interesting points. Of all the antelope I have seen, there have been 2 that I wouldn't have even have hesitated on taking, regardless of the area.

After looking a few over, on few short scouting trips this past week, I am convinced that a spotting scope will be well worth the investment.

Keep the pic's coming and if you don't mind, let me know what they score.

Thanks again,

Jason

Jason,

I was told a long time ago if the antelope's horns are 2 1/2 ear
lengths long he's a booner. I shot one last year that grossed 84
and I would of mounted him but he broomed his left ivory tip off.
Give me your E-mail address and I'll send you pic's of three I thought were keepers over the years.

I hope I get a tag this year cause I saw a dandy a couple of days ago and they still have 4 more months of horn growth till the season starts.

Here is how I go about sizing up an antelope.

First, like was said above, so much of estimating dimensions is judgment. Judgment comes with experience, and is limited by the quality of bucks you have seen. Get some good glass and get out in the field during the cool hours of the day without heat waves and start making relative judgments between antelope.

Concentrate on mass, horn length and prong length. Rate each buck as follows; Mass - 1 to 5, Horn Length - 1 to 3, Prong Length - 1 or 2.

Notice the emphasis on mass. Be really stingy giving out 5. In 10 years I bet I have seen maybe 2 or 3 that fit that score out of many hundreds of bucks I have really looked closely at. A bigun will push 7 inch bases and have relatively heavy horn above the prong...beware heavy base and spindly top.

If you got a 10 then get to shooting, because you are looking at one of the biggest bucks in your area depending on how mucj time you spent afield. It has to be that simple because we just dont have the tools to measure an inch or two difference at several hundred yards.

If you dump a dink and are not happy, blame your lack of scouting. If you walk up to him and he starts to take your breath away then either you truly have done your homework, or you need to quit smoking.

Finally, mark a BLM or similar scale map with the highest scores you have seen during scouting in each 1 square mile section. Find that bad boy the night before season and tuck him in. Next morning at first shooting light be on him with the crosshairs, because Mr. Outfitter will be along shortly with his rich client to sling lead because you can bet Mr. O did his scouting.

Good Luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom