Field Pics for Solo Hunters

Sparks Shooter

In response to Idratherbhuntin's post where he only got some rough selfie type field pics of an awesome general buck, I thought I'd post a tip that I learned a few years back for getting good solo field pics. I typically hunt alone and have historically taken horrible pics including lots of head-only pics once things are all broken down. While these are better than nothing, I find that I really enjoy looking at good field pics, usually while I'm supposed to be working.

Here's the awesome trick that I learned on these forum a few years ago:

First, set the animal up in the position that you like and prop your phone up however you can to frame the shot you want leaving space for you to be in the pic. I have used many methods but find that simply zipping the phone into the top of my pack usually works great. Set the phone on video and start recording. Get behind your animal and pose yourself and the animals head in several different positions. Review the video and screenshot any places that look good. Do this as many times as needed until you have the awesome field pics that you want.

I'm sure many of you know this trick but I hope it helps someone out there to better preserve the hunting memories that we all cherish.

Also, please add any other tricks or methods that you might want to share regarding taking field pics, solo or otherwise, to this thread.

Here are a couple shots I got this year using the video method. -----SS
IMG_2439.jpg
IMG_2698.jpg

Great topic, I take a lot of pride in field photos and I’ve made a lot of mistakes along the way, I am now in my sixties. Positioning the animal and hunter in the best possible light, watch ball caps shadowing the face, cut the tongue out. I’m personally not a fan of rifles and bows in the pictures.I carry a tripod and a small camera. Remember you and a few friends are going to see your trophy hanging on the wall, everyone is going to see the photos, so take your time. Crappy pictures are well crappy pictures.

Dang, why didn’t I think of that. Thanks for the tip. I’ve felt terrible about not getting a good picture of my dad and I together on our hunt this year as it will surely be his last. Selfies suck

Thanks for the tips. I feel dumb I never thought about recording then do a screen shot. I gave up trying to get pics with my bull this year as I couldn't beat the timer. Now I know.

Another tip if you don't want to do the video option (good advice) is use the "voice command" feature in combination with a short self timer (I go with the 2 second option) this allows you to say "shoot, capture, or smile" and it will take the photo. This is what I use with my Samsung phones, not sure if all the brands have that feature.

Screenshot_20210707-145509_Gallery.jpg

Another tip if you don't want to do the video option (good advice) is use the "voice command" feature in combination with a short self timer (I go with the 2 second option) this allows you to say "shoot, capture, or smile" and it will take the photo. This is what I use with my Samsung phones, not sure if all the brands have that feature.

View attachment 56951
Fantastic idea!.....and a great pic.----SS

In response to Idratherbhuntin's post where he only got some rough selfie type field pics of an awesome general buck, I thought I'd post a tip that I learned a few years back for getting good solo field pics. I typically hunt alone and have historically taken horrible pics including lots of head-only pics once things are all broken down. While these are better than nothing, I find that I really enjoy looking at good field pics, usually while I'm supposed to be working.

Here's the awesome trick that I learned on these forum a few years ago:

First, set the animal up in the position that you like and prop your phone up however you can to frame the shot you want leaving space for you to be in the pic. I have used many methods but find that simply zipping the phone into the top of my pack usually works great. Set the phone on video and start recording. Get behind your animal and pose yourself and the animals head in several different positions. Review the video and screenshot any places that look good. Do this as many times as needed until you have the awesome field pics that you want.

I'm sure many of you know this trick but I hope it helps someone out there to better preserve the hunting memories that we all cherish.

Also, please add any other tricks or methods that you might want to share regarding taking field pics, solo or otherwise, to this thread.

Here are a couple shots I got this year using the video method. -----SSView attachment 56914View attachment 56915
Wry nice ?

Flip you phone to the selfie camera and there’s a timer button. I take very few pics of me and animals but when I do it’s a pretty simple way to do it

Man, I’m glad I opened this thread.

The video idea is awesome. My phone has a self timer that fires of a 10 shot burst but it’s not great.

I also had no idea a Bluetooth camera trigger was a thing?!

???

Look up gorillapods! They are relatively inexpensive and they make phone adaptors that fit your exact iphone. The gorilla pod I have has a ball head that makes it easy to lock in place. I have a couple small as well as the larger size. The legs can be left straight like a tripod or wrapped around brush, tree, backpack, etc. Lots of options with a gorilla pod.

I switch my Iphone over to 10 sec delay which gives about the amount of time to pose the animal and myself. As mentioned above sometimes you pose your animal so you don't have to move it and just get in position.

The same Iphone adaptor I use on the gorillapod also works on my spotting scope tripod. A full length tripod is super steady and easy to adjust, etc.

Generally speaking it's best to take photos from animal eye-level or lower. It's always nice to have horns/antlers with sky behind them so they stand out.

There are so many different options for pics. It always pays to take a gob of pics. It's easy to be in a hurry with photos to get on with the skinning, gutting, caping, etc. It's well worth the time and effort to take lots of not only the animal, horns, and antlers but also the surrounding scenery.

Look up gorillapods! They are relatively inexpensive and they make phone adaptors that fit your exact iphone. The gorilla pod I have has a ball head that makes it easy to lock in place. I have a couple small as well as the larger size. The legs can be left straight like a tripod or wrapped around brush, tree, backpack, etc. Lots of options with a gorilla pod.

I switch my Iphone over to 10 sec delay which gives about the amount of time to pose the animal and myself. As mentioned above sometimes you pose your animal so you don't have to move it and just get in position.

The same Iphone adaptor I use on the gorillapod also works on my spotting scope tripod. A full length tripod is super steady and easy to adjust, etc.

Generally speaking it's best to take photos from animal eye-level or lower. It's always nice to have horns/antlers with sky behind them so they stand out.

There are so many different options for pics. It always pays to take a gob of pics. It's easy to be in a hurry with photos to get on with the skinning, gutting, caping, etc. It's well worth the time and effort to take lots of not only the animal, horns, and antlers but also the surrounding scenery.
All good tips. I'll add that when shooting from a low angle, be sure to remove any offending grasses, rocks, etc. that the camera lens won't miss seeing.

This is a great thread. This gives me some great ideas and also shows how technologically challenged I really am.

I could not figure out one year how my nephew had taken the photos of his elk. When I asked him what he did, the video method is what he shared with me. It has worked great since then. I like to use it even when someone is there to take the photo for you. Just make sure you stay still as if you were taking an actual photo. Glad you thought to share this on here.

View attachment 56951
you couldn't find a bigger stabilizer for that bow?

you couldn't find a bigger stabilizer for that bow?
Yes actually I could have? Do you have a problem with my stabilizer?

It's a crossover stabilizer, allows you to adjust it to the length you want. I extended it out to prop the bow up for the photo. At its shortest its no longer then an average stabilizer.

Superglue the mouths shut and remember to get both the animal and the camera out of the shade if possible.

Whoa,, somebody’s sensitive about length. Sorry bout that bud
Just didn't understand what you was getting at? Not sure why the length of my stabilizer was even a topic of discussion.

I guess long hard objects catch your attention.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom