Filling my first elk tag

Bhilly81

This year I have set myself a goal to fill my first ever elk tag. I have hunted them a few times in the past with over the counter archery and I tried once for the rifle hunt. I am in my last year of the dedicated program and I can also harvest a deer as well but I am going to see if I can pick up a multi season elk tag and focus on that this year but if a deer steps out I will not hesitate to fill that tag as well. With this being said is there any tips or pointers that anybody would like to share or recommend to aid me in my quest or goals?? Still super new to elk hunting but I am willing to learn and try to get it figured out as best I can. I do know some areas up strawberry that hold some elk but it also seems to hold cattle and sheep as well. Plus that is not where my deer tag is good for either. Thanks for any thoughts and input.

I'm sure it's Utah

I'd concentrate in your Deer unit if it's doable for elk too.

Why be DH and not harvest your last year/deer?

Good luck whatever ya decide

Robb

Yes it’s Utah. I will have plenty more opportunity to harvest my deer this year. Especially with the extended archery season. I’m just mostly going to focus on elk more than anything if I can. That’s just my number one goal.

Are you wanting to continue archery hunting or are you switching to rifle? If archery, learn to call and bugle, it will help increase your success.

Last edited:
Elk hunting is tough! that's why i'm a monster muley fanatic.
get in the thickest nastiest steepest terrain and there is where the elk are. sorry , i'm probably not being that helpful... i've only shot three elk in about 10 years of trying . Maybe some of the good elk hunters on here can share some tips with us. good luck in your quest.

If you want to get into elk hunting, start with a cow hunt (Cow elk just to be clear, haha!;)). Some here are philosophically opposed to cow hunts but I don't care.:) The best way to learn is to hunt a lot and break through and get that first elk down. The first one is the hardest! If you are hunting cows, you will be able to learn how elk think and how they feed, bed, escape, etc. It will be a good learning experience. I started hunting cows when I was a kid and I started my kids on cows and it makes a big difference to your learning experience to have at least opportunities to make a shot. Hunting a bull elk can be one of the most difficult things you will ever do. It can be super frustrating to hunt and never even find an animal to shoot. (You could have a season or two where you never even see a bull, especially early on in your hunting experience.) Hunting cows is no gimme by any means but it is a better way to start in my opinion. Good luck!

Are you wanting to continue archery hunting or are you switching to rifle? If archery, learn to call and bugle, it will help increase your success.
Yes I will be continuing with archery but I will also be trying rifle and muzzle loader if I need to. I did just recently order some elk calls to play around with and learn to use really well before the season starts up in august.

Early season bulls are still creatures of habit. Sitting water (boring-but effective) is a great way to stack your odds. When calling bulls they'll generally want two thing when coming in. 1) the wind 2) high ground. Let them have the high ground, but obviously don't give them the wind. I rarely call directly at a bull unless it's soft cow calls followed by loud ones facing away and at 90degrees. I use different calls for the different directions to sound like multiple ladies spread out over multiple locations. An elk can pinpoint you from several hundred yards out of sight, make him come looking and the effort is worth it. Works best with a buddy calling from 75+ yards behind you depending on visibility, you don't want a bull to be able to see where the call is coming from while still being out of range. On the rare occasion you can slip into the herds bedroom and get inside the bulls comfort zone (100 yards from my experience), rip off a nasty bugle straight at him and get ready. For rifle I usually get up high and glass down. Amazing 100ft of elevation over opposite hillside allows you to see down through the trees. If you see tracks in snow going into a timber pocket, climb above on opposing side of the canyon and glass down. If you're a long range guy, you may be able to send one from there. Or once their back on their feet and moving in the evening, you can then judge their direction and move to cut them off. Hope this helps you find success. Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom