Fillmore Deer

bucks

got lucky and drew a Fillmore deer muzzleloader tag, put in for the unit on a wim! Never been there ,would anyone share any in put as were to start looking going to go look in a couple fo weeks around the first of June.

It’s a good unit. I would start scouting at higher elevations at the end of August or early September. The hunt dates are a little later this season. So the deer at the beginning of the hunt may be higher and then towards the end they could be moving lower. Some of the road are really rough. So make sure you have a good 4x4 with a spare and/or an ATV.

I’ve hunted that unit off and on for 20 years. The muzzy hunt is simply tough on that unit. The deer drop off the tops from where they are during the archery hunt. They are also don’t move as much during the day that time of year. Mid mountain, nasty canyons and way off the roads will be the ticket to success for a quality buck.

We've hunted it for quite a few years. My son killed his first deer 2 years ago there (his first year hunting). My daughter has a rifle tag this year as do I. We have seen a few decent bucks over the past few years. Here's the only thing that's showed up on my trail cam so far this year... ? :cautious:

thumbnail_IMG_5125.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5127.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on the tag. I picked up the one non-resident late muzzy hunt. I do have quite a few hunts this year trying to decide if I should keep this tag. I’m happy to have the tag, just a super busy year.
I’d appreciate hearing from anyone (pm would be best) about their experiences on the unit the last few years.
The hunt goes till the 11th of November this year. Thanks

We've hunted it for quite a few years. My son killed his first deer 2 years ago there (his first year hunting). My daughter has a rifle tag this year as do I. We have seen a few decent bucks over the past few years. Here's the only thing that's showed up on my trail cam so far this year... ? :cautious:

View attachment 40519

View attachment 40520
That's why there ain't any deer. One cat eats a lot a deer.

I use to hunt it all of the time. Years later I took a friend up there to show him where we hunted and got a nose bleed just looking at that rough country. To many mountain lions on the unit. As rough as that unit is, they should open the unit year around for cat hunting. By the time the muzzleloader hunt comes, what few deer are on that mountain, the archers hve spooked in No-mans-land. If you're a mountain goat, with a lot of scouting you may have some luck. Have a friend who on the first day of July, at daylight, would take the same route every year over the top of the Fillmore range to count deer. He has gone on this exact route for 40 years. During that early morning ride he would usually count bucks in the forties and fifties. Now he will count three to five bucks.

I guess I didn’t get you drew the late muzzy tag. That one is much better than the regular season muzzy tag i was posting about earlier and probably some of the others. If there is snow, hunt from bottom up. Can be a good early Nov hunt.

Elkhunter96,

I apologize to the OP (“bucks”). I think they had drawn the early season muzzy and I just got excited as I drew the late season deer so I jumped on their post.

Anyways, thanks for the advice. I’m from Wyoming and would be willing to trade info on deer pavhant for Wyoming info if interested. Best by PM. Thanks

So my son drew a early rifle tag for this area, October 11-15th. Heading down towards end of August early September to do some scouting, anyone have advise on a good place to start at? Thanks

We have archery hunted the unit for 40 + years. It's gone down hill over those 40 years. Three point or better was the only thing that help the unit. The last year of 3 point or better was an amazing time on that unit. Big bucks in every canyon. Now every buck gets hammered in the first 2 years of there life. Only a couple make it past 3 1/2. Hunt hard and look for big ones 2 miles off the top.

Good luck our .family has two archery tags for the unit this year.

We have archery hunted the unit for 40 + years. It's gone down hill over those 40 years. Three point or better was the only thing that help the unit. The last year of 3 point or better was an amazing time on that unit. Big bucks in every canyon. Now every buck gets hammered in the first 2 years of there life. Only a couple make it past 3 1/2. Hunt hard and look for big ones 2 miles off the top.

Good luck our .family has two archery tags for the unit this year.
Appreciate the info, we plan on packing in and getting as far away from the roads as we can. And I wish Montana would go to 4 point or better in a lot of units. If you ever come out this way let me know would be glad to help. What is a realistic buck for him not to pass up? Also good luck on your hunt as well.

I’ve hunted that unit off and on for 20 years. The muzzy hunt is simply tough on that unit. The deer drop off the tops from where they are during the archery hunt. They are also don’t move as much during the day that time of year. Mid mountain, nasty canyons and way off the roads will be the ticket to success for a quality buck.
If your hunting the Pavhant for the first time, you should read and reread 96’s recommendation.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom