First African Hunt advise please

deerhuntr4885

I’m getting to that point in my life where I am thinking about my own mortality and my bucket list. I would like to hunt “Wild Africa”. Leaning towards Mozambique for me and my 11 year old son. I really want to hunt a crocodile but I may not be able to afford that. Plains game such as Kudu, wildebeest, Impala, hyena would be cool too. Plus others .

I really need help with finding a place I could afford (under 7K) I’m not interested in SA at all. I’m not opposed to going with a group of good guys to hunt with either. Not set on Moz, either just wilder country, no fenced hunts.

Thanks in advance.
Mike Henne

I am sorry to say with a budget of 7k your main 2 options are SA or namibia for just plains games. You dont want any high fence I would say nambia is best for kudu red hartebeest oryx springbuck and some more. But know impala blesbuck wildebeest and alot of eland are behind high fence there. Big areas but high fenced with most other areas are just low cattle fence.

There is some free range hunting in Sa with natal and east cape being best choices for SA I would say. Be happy to give you more pointers on how to make a trip happen and what your cost will really be but alot of info to take in. You can Pm me or I will give you my number to call if you want so more help

Great advice already given. I’ve been to RSA 3 times, enjoyed it. With that said, my next hunt (if I go to Africa) will be Namibia. I’d like to do a mountain hunt for kudu and mountain zebra.

$7,000 for plains game is doable. However, take into account the airfare and dip and pack. Dip and pack is ridiculous and I would donate my animals if I ever went again….

Good luck.

As others have mentioned, 7,000 budget will severely limit your options for a quality hunt, especially if you want free ranging animals. I’ll give you 2 options to ponder, neither of which is in South Africa. Both would cost more but not a lot more and each would give you an excellent experience.

Botswana with Tholo Safaris. They offer an excellent 7-day package hunt for Kudu, Eland, Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeest & Impala that’s not much over your price and trophy fees are included. Tholo has many excellent reviews. It is fenced but the property is well over 200,000 acres.

Mozambique in Coutada 9 with Mokore Safaris. This is an unfenced, wild area with huge plains game populations. If you do not include sable, buffalo or Nyala, you can keep the cost fairly close to your desired budget and still hunt Kudu, Eland, Wildebeest, reedbuck, warthogs, bushbuck and other PG. I’m doing a hunt here in Oct of ‘24 that’ll include Nyala and buffalo as well as the other spiral horned game.

Feel free to PM if you’d like more information and help.

CAelknuts offers great advice and I would certainly lean on him for help. I have heard nothing but good about Tholo and there are many hunt reports on accuratereloading about Tholo.

I have seen some great Kudu come from there and I would look at them as one of my top choices.

You probably will not like to hear this but if you possibly can, up your budget a bit and add some trophies. I would add a kudu and Gemsbok for both you and your son. In my opinion, if you are going to spend the time traveling and paying for airfare, I would look at doing this.

I would also, if possible, go for 10 days. I would never do a 7-day safari. You need a day to recover from jet lag and take into account the airport transfers. It just does not leave you a lot of time.

My first safari was my best. Enjoy!!

Lots of places in Zim and Moz to shoot a croc.. You should be able to find a croc hunt for under $7K, but you won't be shooting much plains game and still stay within that budget. Some animals like impala, blesbok, springbok and mountain reedbuck are pretty reasonable, but you are adding roughly $1K on average EACH for Kudu, wildebeest, oryx, zebra and others.

It is always a good idea to book at least 10 days, and that won't impact your budget much. If you can save enough to reach a $10K hunt budget you will have many more options.

Bill

I'm sorry but trying to include a crocodile in your hunt is likely to blow up your budget.
As suggested above I will also say that making it a 10 day hunt should be a priority. I would try to see a national park or game farm the first couple of days to get over jet lag. You'll also get to see some animals without a rifle in your hands with the pressure.
I've been to Africa 4 times and have hunted both high and low fence. For your budget you should think about Namibia or South Africa. If the property is big enough neither you or the animals will know it's high fence. They know how to use the terrain to their advantage.
My last hunt in May of 2021 was on a ranch that had 47 MILES of perimeter fence. Hell that's almost as big as come counties in the states.
As stated the dip/pack/shipment of trophies has gotten ridiculous the last few years. Make sure you are quoted a price by someone you can trust. I had a very small crate with just a Euro mount cape buffalo and rolled up zebra rug and shipping was twice what the agent quoted.
As I'm sure you know.....shoot straight as any wounded and lost animals cost as harvested. Lots of pressure to perform.

Thank you guys for the responses. I may have to wait a while. I have more money but was hoping I could find a less well known PH. If you know a quality PH reasonably priced let me know.

As far as Namibia, I put a-lot of thought into that. The country just looks like rock and desert. If I only do this once, I want to see some green.

Thank you guys for the responses. I may have to wait a while. I have more money but was hoping I could find a less well known PH. If you know a quality PH reasonably priced let me know.

As far as Namibia, I put a-lot of thought into that. The country just looks like rock and desert. If I only do this once, I want to see some green.
Not knocking you. But if I ever go quality and quantity of animals will trump scenery. Can always go back with the wife and do a photo safari for scenery.

Plenty of green in namibia just depends on time of year you go. Just know some advice is not even near your budget. You want wild africa place like moz your looking at 10,000 plus for just a plains game hunt. I am doing it this year at place someone talk about. I am only going because I got 10,000 dollars worth of day fees for 1500 at an auction for coutda 9 with the duckworth.

Some just like to talk say place that will never fit a budget talked about. Here is a real break down for you so you can see facts about a moz hunt. Day rate 1x1 7 day hunt 600 a day then your son as hunting obs 300 a day. So 900 a day or 6300 for 7 days so with 7000 budget your not shooting much. Kudu 2250 eland 2500 warthog 500 impala 500 bushbuck 1150 reedbuck 960 no wildebeest there like some say but wrong. Then add 350 hunting permit 350 rifle permit or gun rental. 500 each way road transfer 7.5 tax on day rate.. So add that up and just see how much your over budget.

Just remember so many dont read all what you ask just feel the need to talk about a place that does not even come close to fitting budget a person ask for. Becasue all the numbers above dont add airfare or tips or anything to do with taxidermy still.

Namibia or Sa you can find day rates for 250 to 350 a day for you both together hunting with a younger kid like your son. Then places like namibia trophy fees of kudu 1600 eland 1750 red hartebeest 550 oryx 550 springbuck 500 warthog 450 blue wildbeest 900 impala 650 zebra 850 no rd transfer fees no extra tax or fees just airfare tips and what you decide on taxidermy. Even at those fees your over 7000 all in if you want to shoot 4 or 5 animals.

Below are pictures of namibia areas. Yes there is desert areas also but remember alot of the pictures you may see is there winter when things are not green but namibia is far from just sand and rock.

You could find some cheaper deals for east cape or natal SA but for 2 people all in for whole trip hard to do for 7000 and really hunt what you want as far as some of the bigger animals.

P6290256.JPG

P6240082.JPG

P6290256.JPG

P6290241.JPG

Everything is negotiable most places on this planet. Don't be afraid to email and ask. Someone, somewhere probably has a cancellation or vacancy needing to be filled. That said, winning an auction is probably going to be the easiest way to get your initial costs down. Do a larger group, that's the next way to get your price down i.e. auction for 4 hunters not for 2 hunters. Then be okay with 2:1 vs 1:1 guide after all you probably will enjoy it more being together for each others shots anyhow. Use airline points or those aftermarket discount (unsold seats) 3rd party travel agencies.

Last year:
With an auction for 4 hunters/4 animals each and airline tickets to SA, I spent around $12k. <That would be $6k for you and your son assuming the other 2 pick up their share of the tab.> With added animals (Kudu, Sable, Nyala, WH> and excursions I spent about $21k total for all 4 hunters so yes that is closer to the $10k+ for the two of you others are suggesting you budget. Don't plan on keeping or shipping trophies if you want to stay on budget (else add another $5k-$10k per hunter) but be sure to take enough pictures as the alternative.
So many on here and elsewhere suggested it was better to spend the trophy $$ going on another hunt than bringing back your game. While I planned for and fully intended to bring them back (especially my sable and kudu) the hassle and lack of transparency or customer service just set me off; turns out I am quite content with the blown up photos and planning another hunt instead.

way better ways to go first time over an auction hunt. I have yet to see were it ends up cheaper normally over picking a place reaching out and trying to work a deal. If you pick a place and then go after a hunt they auction off and work out the other stuff it will work but not how I would go about booking my first trip.

way better ways to go first time over an auction hunt. I have yet to see were it ends up cheaper normally over picking a place reaching out and trying to work a deal. If you pick a place and then go after a hunt they auction off and work out the other stuff it will work but not how I would go about booking my first trip.
This is good advice. Auction hunts for first time entry level hunts are not where the best deals are found.

I have hunted with Tholo and highly recommend. I have also hunted the neighboring property when it was available to hunt. It was totally amazing. I hunted in Namibia in the flat and in the mountains and it was amazing. I have hunted SA in the Eastern Cape and it is as green as it gets. Lots of variety there. I hunted with the Rudman’s at Blaauwkrantz and it was amazing. For free range hunting in SA check out Crusader Safaris. I highly recommend them as well. I don’t see Zim or Moz happening for 7k. I would not even consider going there for that amount. You also need to ponder what you are doing with the croc. If you are going to mount it you will want to get a price. The mount will cost more than the safari. They are very very expensive as a life size. Happy to answer any questions you have.

i still think SA is the best value for money & hunting and i am hunt both Namibia and SA yearly. $7k is not enough for Mozambique, Zimbabwe or Zambia...11 year old children is also not 'big enough' for those areas. If you were 16-17 fine, hell of an experience...

Just do your homework on the areas, reputable outfitters and PH's then you will have a great time. I have many clients that want to do the unfenced areas because they believe that their safari will be excellent... BUT nearly always (80%) of those hunter will not go back to those areas to hunt again...it might be to wild, to far from civilization or not what expected...but i am only the outfitter and the client is always right, if you know what i am mean...:D

Beginner's / first timers to Africa should consider Namibia / SA as their first hunting destination, Africa grows on you, you will make a turn again and a again here...:sneaky:

Truth.

I did my first hunt this year. I left saying ya that was fun, I'd like to again some day. With only a few months having passed Im trying all angles to get back there sooner than later. It definitely grows on you.
I know how to make that happen. LOL

What should a guy expect to spend on an Eland hunt? It's really the only African animal I've ever been interested in and searching the interweb shows prices all over the spectrum from pretty cheap to holy crap. Any reputable outfits to research for Eland specifically?

What should a guy expect to spend on an Eland hunt? It's really the only African animal I've ever been interested in and searching the interweb shows prices all over the spectrum from pretty cheap to holy crap. Any reputable outfits to research for Eland specificou want a good eland hunt by tracking need to figure 7 to 10 days. say at 250 to 300 a day or more but does not need to be more. Trophy fee of 1700 to 3000. Those are all numbers I have done them at and I mean the lower ones.
You can figure 250 to 300 a day some more but I dont pay more then that. Ypu will need at least 7 days but 10 is better for a chance at a great bull.Eland can be 1700 to 3000 depending on were or even more. That is a long way to travel for just one animal though. If you want some info on a good affordable eland hunt send me a pm. 2 I have taken and my son has taken 2 also.
P6270184.JPG

IMG_0265.JPG

You can figure 250 to 300 a day some more but I dont pay more then that. Ypu will need at least 7 days but 10 is better for a chance at a great bull.Eland can be 1700 to 3000 depending on were or even more. That is a long way to travel for just one animal though. If you want some info on a good affordable eland hunt send me a pm. 2 I have taken and my son has taken 2 also.
View attachment 116126

View attachment 116127
PM sent.

I have taken eland in RSA, Namibia, and Zimbabwe. They can be an incredibly fun stalking hunt in thick bush, or a relatively simple affair to ambush over water or sometimes even on the open plains. I don't know anyone who specializes in eland, unless you start talking about Lord Derby eland. The LDE is a much more expensive hunt in very select countries (none of which I have hunted).

In southern Africa eland are usually taken as part of a varied plains game hunt. I've never heard of anyone going over to just take that one animal. I do understand that some others may not initially intrigue you, but I dare say that will almost certainly change when you start to see them in person. There is so much misconception about several of the plains game that people sometimes let their preconceived notions impact their planning. (How can it not?)

Adding a bushbuck, nyala or kudu means focusing on the "spiral horns", which is quite commonly done.

I recall on my first trip having absolutely no interest in warthogs. So of course we saw lots of them, and my PH convinced me to shoot one that went over 17"! That is a true monster warthog, and on subsequent trips I have come to really appreciate them, and now enjoy hunting them tremendously. I have never even come close to a 15" warthog again (which is very, very big) but I enjoy the pursuit, while they are still not the main focus of any of my safaris.

Everyone has different reactions, but I encourage most to take advantage of rare opportunities when they present themselves. I passed on an opportunity to take a lioness some 20 years ago for a ridiculously low trophy fee when we saw one in a chance encounter in true free range conditions. That hunt would be totally different today.

For true free range eland under challenging hunting conditions I would suggest Zimbabwe. They are generally easier to kill in Namibia (more open) and often found on even small farms in RSA. Each experience is different, and pleasant for different reasons. They are neat animals and you will enjoy hunting for them.

Bill

Definitely go with a quality outfit even if it means paying more. My family knows from a bad experience.

Another route is watch the sci auctions on onlinehuntingauctions.com Plains game hunts are usually the best deals and you can research outfitters ahead of time. A good way to save a little money.

Definitely go with a quality outfit even if it means paying more. My family knows from a bad experience.

Another route is watch the sci auctions on onlinehuntingauctions.com Plains game hunts are usually the best deals and you can research outfitters ahead of time. A good way to save a little money.
The cost has nothing to do with if you can have a good hunt or not. Know plenty of people who paid to much and got bad hunts. It is all about asking the right questions before picking a place.

Auctions are a crap shoot at best and can add pressure to take extra or have pressure applied to you to take more.

After 8 trips to africa I have yet to pay over 200 a day or less and pay less then most for trophys taken. I dont get a mint on my pillow each night but have received the same service as if I paid 400 a day. great food 3 to 4 star lodge with all the same service.

The cost has nothing to do with if you can have a good hunt or not. Know plenty of people who paid to much and got bad hunts. It is all about asking the right questions before picking a place.

Auctions are a crap shoot at best and can add pressure to take extra or have pressure applied to you to take more.

After 8 trips to africa I have yet to pay over 200 a day or less and pay less then most for trophys taken. I dont get a mint on my pillow each night but have received the same service as if I paid 400 a day. great food 3 to 4 star lodge with all the same service.
Im not saying you have to pay up, as there are plenty of good outfits that dont charge the highest price. Im saying for the money spent, dont let cost be the deciding factor while searching for the cheapest option to fit a budget. Youre correct that you still have to do independent research.

I'd book something and put down a deposit sooner than later. Just commit and get the ball rolling. You may only have to pay 50% of the day rate to get on the books. Then you can worry about the rest later... It may be a couple of years before you even go and you'll lock in today's prices and have time to save the cash in the meantime.

I'd book something and put down a deposit sooner than later. Just commit and get the ball rolling. You may only have to pay 50% of the day rate to get on the books. Then you can worry about the rest later... It may be a couple of years before you even go and you'll lock in today's prices and have time to save the cash in the meantime.
If you read the small print at most places they have the right to raise prices and if you think if there cost go up there going to honor prices your crazy. They may let you roll over your deposit to another year but prices can go up.

Guys planning on going on there first trip please do not listen to some of the advice that is being posted on here. Some of it is just plain stupid and the worse way to book a first trip.

True, it’s possible. Although I’ve gone a few times and it’s never been the case. When I say todays prices, I mean the prices the outfitter is quoting you based on when the hunt would be. My point was don’t wait. If you book a couple years out you have time to save.

If you don’t want the animals, what can be done? Are they donated or sold? I can see some value for capes. Is there a market for African trophies in Africa? Plus shipping back to the US will be expensive.

If you don’t want the animals, what can be done? Are they donated or sold? I can see some value for capes. Is there a market for African trophies in Africa? Plus shipping back to the US will be expensive.
you do nothing with them at all. There is not much of a market for capes. It can be cheaper then most think to ship back but it is something that should be figured out before going not after. If not bringing stuff back they offer cheaper cull hunts.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom