First browns of 2022

JakeH

Long Time Member
Went out yesterday with a buddy to a new area, had an ambitious plan to hike off a big steep ridge into some good looking country. Once we got down. There we found we wasn't the only ambitious dudes as there was lots of boot tracks in the area. Decided to keep grinding it out and pushed farther then we had intended on going. (Don't know why I ever even make a plan as I never follow it lol).

Anyway after getting several miles in and only finding some older and smaller deer horns we decided to head out of there with our tails tucked and in pretty low spirits.

Once we started back, we hadn't made it 200 yards and I round a tree and find this.
20220319_221317.jpg

I was ecstatic up to this point this year I had only found 3 chalk spike deer horns. Lol

I could clearly see the bulls tracks in the sand and had a feeling the horn I found was the first to shed, so I followed his tracks out and about 80 yards away lay the other side.
20220319_152045.jpg

This set scored out at 327 as is with a few broken points, figured he would be a low 330s bull unbroken. Both sheds each weigh 10.2 pounds. He was a big mature bull with some great mass.
20220319_221600.jpg
20220319_220935.jpg
20220319_221849.jpg
20220319_222027.jpg

Not the biggest sheds I've ever found. But I've been couped up at home alot after having surgery on my shoulder back at the end of January so it was definitely a great trip out

Found this as well.
20220319_221431.jpg

Last edited:
I’ll look at the color tonight. I found a terry cloth just dipped in the stain then blotted on a paper towel so it’s not super soaked works pretty good. Then just rubbed it in by hand trying not to get too dark. That white bone soaks it up fast so you just want color on the rag, not dripping. Got them setting out in the sun right now to let it get some natural fading. Did two yesterday. I’ll post another pick up of them dry

Nice find Jake! I have never found an elk set. Maybe I’ll hit the Nevada opener this year! Looks like fun!

Back off whitehair I do what I want!
You’re right. I get worried about the snowflakes sometimes (you know, the guys who drown in buckets) and want to give a safety meeting. My bad.

Don’t worry about a thing, but it may stain your teeth purple.:devilish:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom